Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is Brighton's HARDEST player? Past & present

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Alan Young on Jimmy Case (my bold):

"On the pitch he was different class though. I once saw him on the receiving end of a dreadful challenge when a guy (I forget who) tried to get the ball off him and put his studs down the back of his calf and Achilles. That really bloody hurts and Jim just let the ball roll away and turned on this guy and, through gritted teeth, said “Don’t you ever, ever f*cking do that to me again!” and then he turned and went after the ball and got it back before it went out. I watched this going on and the guy was sh*tting himself. That is the only time I have really seen one professional footballer genuinely scared of another. Because Jimmy could be a hard bastard and really knew how to look after himself.

He used to do about two hundred sit ups every days after training. He would wear one of those polystyrene bags that you get from the dry cleaners when he did them. He got me in to it as well!
"

I can't remember if JC has been to the Amex and interviewed on the pitch by Richard Reynolds, but I'd love to see/hear him get a well-deserved roar and warm applause.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
A bit of insight into Paul Clark for those that didn’t see him play.
Home game against Aston Villa who were then European Champions.
Within about twenty seconds of the kick off the ball is passed back to their midfielder Denis Mortimer and Paul Clark thunders into a tackle. Takes the ball and follows through on Mortimer sending him about three foot up into the air. No foul says the ref.
Completely set the tone for the game. Brighton win 1-0 and Villa barely troubled us.
Paul was a very tough tackler.
Also remember his 30 yard screamer at Leyton Orient to win us that game 1-0.
Teddy Maybank jumped up and hit his head on the top of the dug out and knocked himself out.
45 old years ago so correct me if my memory is wrong!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's an age thing. No-one, absolutely no-one who saw Paul Clark would say anybody else. The man was a beast (he actually wasn't that dirty, just that he seemed to be made of concrete and steel). The crack when he broke Lil Fucillo's leg will always stay with me.

One that was before my time but who was meant to be a bit tasty was Des Tennant - my dad compared Clark to him but you'd have to be pretty old to remember him

Victor Chandler

Sep 2, 2014
Haywards Heath
It's an age thing. No-one, absolutely no-one who saw Paul Clark would say anybody else. The man was a beast (he actually wasn't that dirty, just that he seemed to be made of concrete and steel). The crack when he broke Lil Fucillo's leg will always stay with me.

One that was before my time but who was meant to be a bit tasty was Des Tennant - my dad compared Clark to him but you'd have to be pretty old to remember him
It's an age thing. No-one, absolutely no-one who saw Paul Clark would say anybody else.
I agree. Paul Clark AKA The Tank

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
IMG_5518.jpeg

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Gonzalo Jara Reyes had a bit of a psycho streak

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Interesting list here I see that the Withdean years players are often mentioned my view and it’s just my opinion
Danny Culip was just a bully while Charlie Oatway and Adam El Ab were wind up merchants of that team the player that stands out as hard was Richard Carpenter.

who was our all time hardest it’s impossible to say my personal memories only go back to the very late 1960s but of those I remember Brian Horton was hard as nails

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here