Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is at fault?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Finding players to blame helps no-one and can dent individual players confidence, negatively impacting their performance (become more dithering about whether they should clear or not, or don't play the riskier, but potentially defence splitting pass because they know that should it fail, it will be met with criticism from those watching)

I wasn't seeking to blame anyone, more to find out where the fault lies so we can prevent this happening again. Two such incidents in a matter of a few games appears to indicate there is an issue to be addressed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wasn't seeking to blame anyone, more to find out where the fault lies so we can prevent this happening again. Two such incidents in a matter of a few games appears to indicate there is an issue to be addressed.

Two own goals?

There are defensive errors in most games, but they don't all lead to goals.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Stockdale definitely opened his mouth but as you say, it may have sounded like a squawk as he hasn't got a deep booming voice. I'm in the north stand near the goal, and thought he called for the ball.

Likelihood is that Goldson was going to clear and heard a call from Stockdale and tried to pull out of the interception which he wasn't able to do completely and deflected the ball. I would suggest that if you are defending then you need to be positive and clear the ball. So, in a nutshell, Goldson probably takes the blame. That said, I think he looks a very good player and would probably be a first choice centre back for me.

The result was disappointing. Wilson's wonder strike tipped over. Murphy and Dunk should have got their shots on target. We had the chances.

What I don't accept was the assertion that once we went a goal down we looked a defeated team. Of course initially when you concede like that having been on top then the players will be deflated but we created more chances after the goal.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just one of those things that happens when things are going against you....width of crossbar and all that.....players gave 110% but you could see the exasperation in Stockdale after the goal ...he went out on his own to the other side of the penalty area ...a tad pissed off I would guess

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
For me it's the keeper's fault
I remember hearing a yell from Stockdale in the last game against Ipswich which was so loud it travelled up to the Upper West but there was nothing yesterday

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

You are involved with training the first team ?

Surely if you were, you would have some sort of understanding about what had happened and you wouldn't need to find out on a message board first.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Looked like 4-3-3 from where I was sitting with 3 central midfielders playing behind Murphy, Zamora and Wilson.

IMO the reason we completely lacked any width yesterday as there as nobody to carry the ball quickly down the flanks from defence to attack.

That's what I thought as well. When the team popped up on Twitter I thought it was 451 with Crofts in that holding role but he seemed to spend most of his time, until the goal, in the final third of the pitch.

On reflection it wasn't a bad performance at all just extremely unlucky in front of goal. Wolves were by far the most organised I've seen this season. Have to believe they'd came for the point and were it not for the own goal they'd have probably gotten it with our goal scoring troubles.

On topic: Stockers should've called for it. Absolutely.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No, not two own goals. Dunk did the same thing at Derby which resulted in a corner which Derby scored their first goal from. So indirectly this action has cost us 2 goals and in all likelihood points.

Naive view of football again

That's like saying if our player had called heads instead of tails and won the pre-match coin toss and decided to kick off first then we wouldn't have conceded a goal in that half.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
An unfortunate racing incident - neither should be given a stop-go or take a grid penalty in the next match.

I should add that I wasn't there and haven't seen it either ....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

"Find out where the fault lies so we can prevent this happening again" suggests that there is someone to blame, otherwise how do you address it if it's no-ones fault?

It's just one of those unfortunate things that can happen in football, it goes the other side of the post instead of in and there is none of this "is it Stockdale or Goldson's fault nonsense, or fans thinking they are training the team and have to act to put things right themselves rather than leaving anything like that to the people the club employ should it actually be needed

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Something that hasn't been considered yet is that Goldson has hardly played for our first team, would he be certain that any shout to leave it came from Stockdale and not from a Wolves player trying to put him off blocking / defending it?

Goldson has done really well since he has started playing for the first XI, it's only his 4th appearance for the team so how does criticising him about this unfortunate incident help (next time he may leave it in a similar situation and the striker nip in and score because he may have this criticism in the back of his mind - doesn't want to repeat the 'mistake' as some see it) - He was trying to do the right thing and was just unlucky

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Something that hasn't been considered yet is that Goldson has hardly played for our first team, would he be certain that any shout to leave it came from Stockdale and not from a Wolves player trying to put him off blocking / defending it?

Goldson has done really well since he has started playing for the first XI, it's only his 4th appearance for the team so how does criticising him about this unfortunate incident help (next time he may leave it in a similar situation and the striker nip in and score because he may have this criticism in the back of his mind - doesn't want to repeat the 'mistake' as some see it) - He was trying to do the right thing and was just unlucky

I agree. I haven't seen the playback but if you wanted to you might even blame Wilson for losing the ball in front of the tunnel that led to the danger arising in the first place. But that means half of nothing - you could just as easily blame the balloon on the pitch for launching a series of moves that didn't lead us scoring. We're not talking chess.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Stockdale should have made the call, so that was a mistake. But Goldson still made a hash of it, that was a second mistake. Put the two together and you have the own goal

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I watch the team as a whole. Wolves were very disciplined defensively, closing down our strikers, so it was down to others to try to score.

they had 9 behind the ball from the first whistle.....typical away performance , park the bus and counter attack.....yesterdays game Was a replay of cardiff but without an equaliser.......frustrating to watch because we have obvious quality all over the park but we just can't do basic things like take corners or free kicks.......or score.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
and for me stockdale is in no mans land.....he should have been on his near post not 4 foot off his line......unfortunate incident , really hope the lads get a few days off and can get the mojo back soon......:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here