Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who have we not signed a player from?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Found one. George Holley, left Sunderland for Brighton in July 1919.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Holley

Edit - I found a photo of him. You'll have to forgive me posting a pic of him in red and white stripes. I couldn't find one of him in blue and white.

122emp4.jpg

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
An old War wound?

Found one. George Holley, left Sunderland for Brighton in July 1919.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Holley

Edit - I found a photo of him. You'll have to forgive me posting a pic of him in red and white stripes. I couldn't find one of him in blue and white.

tn_14-10-13_ff2_0032.jpg

After the Great War. Four years gap. Albion record signing. Got injured soon afterwards and retired in his first season.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Kit Napier (1966) from Newcastle and John Napier from Bolton who were then in Div 1 (1963)
Bobby Smith & Mel Hopkins both came from Spurs in '64

Last edited:

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
John Ruggiero from Stoke 1979
Dave Turner from Newcastle 1963
Bert Murray from Chelsea 1971/2
Joe Corrigan from Man City 1983
Alan Young from Leicester c 1983

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
John Goodchild was signed from Sunderland in May 1961. In 1960-61, he was out of Sunderland's line-up until the absence of Willie McPheat meant a recall at Elland Road in February 1961. Goodchild hit a first-half hat-trick in a 4-2 win - but manager Alan Brown recalled McPheat for the next game, a home sixth round FA Cup tie with Spurs. Goodchild didn't play for the Sunderland first team again, and went on the transfer list at the end of the season. Billy Lane signed him in May, one of his last acts as he left the club the same month.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
where did Eric Potts come from?

EDIT
SW:lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not so according to Wiki.

fp886t.jpg

Have we any Albion historians online who can confirm?
Holley played in the 1919-20 Southern league season - he was not re-signed for the 1920-21 season, the first in the new third division. Source: John Vinnicombe's book. No information though on how many games he played in his one season here; retired in 1920, presumably during or at the end of the season. Was pushing 35 by then, which was pretty old for a striker, especially in those days.

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
Yes -I had forgotten Murray came from Birmingham. I did love that team though in 1971/2. Against all odds that collection of old stalwarts Gall, Henderson, Powney, Murray, Irvine, Bromley had a final season to remember.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Holley played in the 1919-20 Southern league season - he was not re-signed for the 1920-21 season, the first in the new third division. Source: John Vinnicombe's book. No information though on how many games he played in his one season here; retired in 1920, presumably during or at the end of the season. Was pushing 35 by then, which was pretty old for a striker, especially in those days.

Thanks for that!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
John Goodchild was signed from Sunderland in May 1961. In 1960-61, he was out of Sunderland's line-up until the absence of Willie McPheat meant a recall at Elland Road in February 1961. Goodchild hit a first-half hat-trick in a 4-2 win - but manager Alan Brown recalled McPheat for the next game, a home sixth round FA Cup tie with Spurs. Goodchild didn't play for the Sunderland first team again, and went on the transfer list at the end of the season. Billy Lane signed him in May, one of his last acts as he left the club the same month.

Well spotted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Goodchild

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here