[Other Sport] Who has made the most unacceptable comments?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Robinson should have said.

I'm sorry for any offence taken.
As an England cricketer I would not use some of those words.
I think what the public want is seeing me getting on the job of winning test matches for England.
Very well observed.

The priorities of the cricketing public are not some tweets made many years ago but to see the England team bouncing back better on Day 2.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
When will they ever learn.

It is not compulsory to offer up every thought on Twitter. lol.

Quite - And at which point while the team were donning their inclusivity t shirts prior to the start of play did he not stop to think, hang on I might look a bit of a tit if my old tweets get found. The IQ of many professional sports people is not something to behold.....

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Maybe it's just me then that finds this sort of "humour" banal, youth or not! I don't get the whole banter culture, as a way of being disrespectful to people, then hiding behind the "only a bit of bantz m8" when they go too far - so maybe it is me.

What I do know is I certainly wouldn't be putting my jaundiced views of race and women out there for the whole world to see.

Oh and there was lot more than the two racist comments you have alluded too...

As for hypocrisy, find something I have said on the internet that falls into the categories that are in question here, then you can call me a hypocrite.

Looking at your last ten posts on NSc you used the word "bitching" which is regarded as sexist? I'm not saying it's a bad but clearly it's complicated

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I cringe at some of the jokes I used to crack back when I was an idiot teenager and thought were harmlessly funny at the time, and I bet I'm not the only one. I'm glad social media wasn't invented until my late 20s as I don't think I'd fully grown up until I left university.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dear oh dear.

It’s a good job generations before his didn’t have access to Twitter and everything that has been said in our youth hasn’t been recorded and scrutinised years later.

I’m sure some utter tit will one take my post as a defence for his actions, which sums up this rather sickeningly self-indulgent thread for the holier than thou brigade.

:wave:
Of course they will - this thread is an echo chamber (and if it doesn't stay that way it will be i the bear pit). Waste of time starting it really.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The tweets were from 2012, 9 years ago. There's every chance that he might've forgotten that he'd even posted them.

I can't remember what I posted on NSC a week ago.

And I don't go back and dredge up old threads to check whether I'm on the right side of history.

Not condoning what he wrote back then, but breaking the story on the very day that he made his England debut smacks of opportunistic and sensationalist timing.

People had 9 years to go after him, not just yesterday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’d just like to apologise now that I havnt always posted nice things and ...my thoughts aren’t always pure ...I’m always learning and try hard but don’t always succeed and will continue to make mistakes ....oh and stuff I did when I was a teenager and in my twenties ...phew thank goodness there wasn’t social media as I probably would have posted on some of it

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I know a bloke who was a little bit BNP when he was a teenager and only started changing his views in his twenties and early thirties when he started experiencing life outside of his racist family and school friends. Thirty years later he is a thoroughly decent human being with completely different opinions and attitudes.

For me this guy is simple proof that some people can and do change. He is just lucky that social media when he was a young, bigoted turd consisted solely of graffiti in public toilets and on bus stops.

This is why I will not be joining any pompous, public shaming band wagons for historical, adolescent cockwomblery and instead hope the perpetrator is genuinely remorseful and has become more enlightened..

This, having been very much like the young man you mention above between the age of 16-18, I now understand how and why I had those views being a vulnerable young man, surrounded by similar views and bit by bit coerced. I finally saw the hate was pointless and in alot of cases contradictory, it started to make no sense, so i took myself away from certain people and grew up, travelled and made friends from all over the world.

So now, I don't judge everyone for something they did in the past, I look for the reason why they did that, be it education or lack of, be it background, be it an incident, many many reasons.

Now I hate politics and treat everyone the same as I would wish to be treated.
Christ I even vote Green now.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’d just like to apologise now that I havnt always posted nice things and ...my thoughts aren’t always pure ...I’m always learning and try hard but don’t always succeed and will continue to make mistakes ....oh and stuff I did when I was a teenager and in my twenties ...phew thank goodness there wasn’t social media as I probably would have posted on some of it

I think you're in the clear.

As long as the cheque clears :laugh:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The tweets were from 2012, 9 years ago. There's every chance that he might've forgotten that he'd even posted them.

I can't remember what I posted on NSC a week ago.

And I don't go back and dredge up old threads to check whether I'm on the right side of history.

Not condoning what he wrote back then, but breaking the story on the very day that he made his England debut smacks of opportunistic and sensationalist timing.

People had 9 years to go after him, not just yesterday.

"Progress is impossible without change and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything" - George Bernard Shaw.

The worst aspect of Social Media is that it gives a platform to views which will harm or upset others. The second worst aspect is that if you've done that in the past it'll be used against you forever - usually by entitled millennials looking for their own "likes".

The bloke made a cock of himself aged 19. He's apologised. Move on.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
He had 9 years to apologise, not just the moment he got caught out.

Apologise to who? Who would be listening in the intervening period? In law you have statutes of limitations, in Tort and simple contracts that is 6 years, defamation is 1 year, negligence 3 or 6 years. It's not like his social media history is littered with unsavoury remarks. 9 years is a long time for a few immature rather that outright offensive tweets.

edit: I've been stumped!! :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He made a joke about Asian people having straight eyes and a Muslim being a terrorist.

I did that when I was a teenager. I think I did worse actually. I've grown up.

You never did that sort of thing then ?

It doesn't leave a bad smell for me. I leaves an opportunity for youngsters to learn and understand about such things and general conduct.

I don't get my righteous kicks from the Pitchfork Brigade. I know what the word 'hypocrite' means.

Absolutely, and utterly, this. Is nobody worthy of a second chance then? I deplore all these holier than thou posters who seem to think that they have never done anything that was wrong, or that they were ashamed of. I actually applaud Ollie for standing up in front of the cameras and admitting to his misdemeanors. I only hope that the England selectors continue to believe in him, and continue to pick him in the future.

As a Born Again Christian l believe in that little thing called forgiveness, and l only wish more people did, it might just help to make the world a better place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports