Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who had a transgressive experience on Saturday then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“The rise of disorder at football: why is it happening and what can be done?“

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/18/the-shocking-rise-of-disorder-at-matches

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe the club have found a foolproof strategy to deal with the rise in violent disorder.

Lull us all into some kind of paralysis then open the doors after an hour.

Sure the odd player doesn't read the memo, but there's always someone available to torpedo the game if we get a bit rambunctious.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Big Shane did when he had our shot on target.

GPott even put a hit out on him.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It’s across society, same as it’s always been.

Lots of fighting, and not just in the ring, at the boxing Saturday night, big race meetings are plagued by it, demonstrations seem to be angrier now than ever. To a certain extent, football has just mirrored the anger of the times.

It used to be town centres on a weekend evening were like down town Baghdad,I don’t know if it’s the same now, I’m a bit passed clubbing on a Saturday.

I don’t even think it’s down to the Colombian marching powder, booze always had much the same effect.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
“The rise of disorder at football: why is it happening and what can be done?“

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/18/the-shocking-rise-of-disorder-at-matches

Transgression is merely violating moral or social boundaries. But what are the boundaries in a UK where the government regularly lies, holds illegal drinks parties and where traces of charlie have been found in the HoC kermits?

Sounds to me like the hoolies are conforming.

Anyway, my Saturday experience was regressive in that I told The Boy afterwards "believe it or not we used to be as shit as that every week".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyway, my Saturday experience was regressive in that I told The Boy afterwards "believe it or not we used to be as shit as that every week".

Happy dayz.

That said inexplicably, even then, we did still manage to win the odd game.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Classic Guardian sensationalism. They even got in a mention of Brexit for the obsessives. I’ve not seen anything like this at BHA matches for years and that includes this season. All very tame at Old Trafford last week. We were stood next to the netting and there wasn’t even one word aimed in our direction. Normal people in both ends before, during and after the game.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Life is pretty shit for a lot of people right now.

Two years of suffering through a global pandemic, exorbitant rents, no real wage rises (if you're able to get and hold down a job), people unable to get onto the property ladder, people being driven deeper into poverty, people being driven into poverty for the first time, rising energy prices meaning some are having to choose between food and heat, the societal rift caused by the constant back and forth, "I was right!" / "No you weren't" over Brexit and on and on and on.

No wonder people are pissed off and lashing out at each other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe the club have found a foolproof strategy to deal with the rise in violent disorder.

Lull us all into some kind of paralysis then open the doors after an hour.

Sure the odd player doesn't read the memo, but there's always someone available to torpedo the game if we get a bit rambunctious.

Cudos for using rambunctious on a Monday morning. :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Classic Guardian sensationalism. They even got in a mention of Brexit for the obsessives. I’ve not seen anything like this at BHA matches for years and that includes this season. All very tame at Old Trafford last week. We were stood next to the netting and there wasn’t even one word aimed in our direction. Normal people in both ends before, during and after the game.

You should have been in the lower tier at Spurs.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You should have been in the lower tier at Spurs.

Fair enough. I wasn’t at Spurs. This kind of journalism is pretty familiar from the 70s and 80s though when there were much bigger problems than the isolated incidents this season. In those days the fear mongering led to all sorts of negative consequences. Now of course we have sanitized corporate football so it will probably just lead to higher prices and a ticking off from Paul Barber.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You didn't do both legs of the Bumley double.

Queue for the cubicle toilet going out the door
Followed by 90 minutes of taunting 'bantz'.

Plenty of Albion yoof wouldn't have had any idea about the score until they checked their acca, on the way home.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paul Barber has spoken about incidents, and incidents have been raised by Brighton fans, a number of times this season. He also mentions this in last Saturdays program.

Not to mention the anecdotal posts above.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You didn't do both legs of the Bumley double.

Queue for the cubicle toilet going out the door
Followed by 90 minutes of taunting 'bantz'.

Plenty of Albion yoof wouldn't have had any idea about the score until they checked their acca, on the way home.

I was at the away game and didn’t see a thing. There’s always been dodgy characters in life but it’s pretty easy to avoid them rather than stand around tutting as Guardian journalists appear to be doing. We were out in Liverpool city centre on Friday night and had no issues with anti social behavior. I guess it’s there if you want to find it or write articles about it.

el punal

Fair enough. I wasn’t at Spurs. This kind of journalism is pretty familiar from the 70s and 80s though when there were much bigger problems than the isolated incidents this season. In those days the fear mongering led to all sorts of negative consequences. Now of course we have sanitized corporate football so it will probably just lead to higher prices and a ticking off from Paul Barber.

Hmm. I wouldn’t have called our fabulous performances against Liverpool and Chelsea (home and away) as sanitised corporate football. I wouldn’t call being in the West Upper concourse bars pre and post match sanitised corporate football either. I wouldn’t call going to watch the Albion away games up and down the country as sanitised corporate football. And, definitely not sanitised corporate football when our beloved Tony Bloom joined us pleb fans in the cheap seats at Brentford.

So, in your view, the fact that the club have frozen the season ticket prices for another year and allowed us to pay by monthly direct debit as well, with no additional cost, means that we are embracing sanitised corporate football with higher prices? I think not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was at the away game and didn’t see a thing. There’s always been dodgy characters in life but it’s pretty easy to avoid them rather than stand around tutting as Guardian journalists appear to be doing. We were out in Liverpool city centre on Friday night and had no issues with anti social behavior. I guess it’s there if you want to find it or write articles about it.

But it isnt Guardian journalists is it? The article is based around figures from the UK football policing unit, a comment and analysis from Geoff Pearson, a senior lecturer in criminal law at Manchester University and leading expert in football hooliganism, and Louise Casey’s report into events at Wembley.

It's also an article about problems at grounds, what on earth has your Friday night out, in a city centre, got to do with this?

Did you actually read the article in the link?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hmm. I wouldn’t have called our fabulous performances against Liverpool and Chelsea (home and away) as sanitised corporate football. I wouldn’t call being in the West Upper concourse bars pre and post match sanitised corporate football either. I wouldn’t call going to watch the Albion away games up and down the country as sanitised corporate football. And, definitely not sanitised corporate football when our beloved Tony Bloom joined us pleb fans in the cheap seats at Brentford.

So, in your view, the fact that the club have frozen the season ticket prices for another year and allowed us to pay by monthly direct debit as well, with no additional cost, means that we are embracing sanitised corporate football with higher prices? I think not.

No. They are your words not mine.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This. Times move on. Society is more intolerant of hooliganism these days so every incident is reported (and rightly so). I recall, back in the day, a lad being thrown off a train and killed and it barely got a mention in the media because it was 'football related'.

And remember this?

BLsEpUUCEAA2re0.jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But it isnt Guardian journalists is it? The article is based around figures from the UK football policing unit, a comment and analysis from Geoff Pearson, a senior lecturer in criminal law at Manchester University and leading expert in football hooliganism, and Louise Casey’s report into events at Wembley.

It's also an article about problems at grounds, what on earth has your Friday night out, in a city centre, got to do with this?

Did you actually read the article in the link?

Yes I read the link. I also shared my experiences at Albion matches not just my Friday night out. This is painting by numbers journalism with a few quotes and misrepresented stats thrown in for good measure. The reality is that football disorder is nothing like it was in the old days. As mentioned by HWT above every small incident nowadays is treated a lot more seriously. That should continue but let’s not use it to demonize football fans. Perhaps the Brexit mention shines a light on the agenda here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here