Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who does the cooking in your household?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I do all the cooking and wouldn't have it any other way! Very enjoyable, especially with a nice bottle of wine to help you along your merry way :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
On the, admittedly limited, evidence of this thread sounds like The Today Programme should get some guests on that know what they are tugboating on about rather than ones that are clinging to old fashioned gender stereotypes or am I taking it to personally?

Just going through the thread and thinking exactly that.

I don't believe it's a tokenistic attempt at being 'modern' or anything like that. It's just a bunch of blokes who actually enjoy cooking.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just going through the thread and thinking exactly that.

I don't believe it's a tokenistic attempt at being 'modern' or anything like that. It's just a bunch of blokes who actually enjoy cooking.

To be honest, it's the eating bit I like most but the journey is often rather nice.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
My wife puts ingredients together in pots and pans (usually pre-prepared and packaged) and then uses heat to make it about edible.

I cook delicious dishes from scratch.

PS don't tell Mrs Seadog I'v told anyone or I might have less time in an evening to pop onto NSC :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My wife puts ingredients together in pots and pans (usually pre-prepared and packaged) and then uses heat to make it about edible.

I cook delicious dishes from scratch.

PS don't tell Mrs Seadog I'v told anyone or I might have less time in an evening to pop onto NSC :)

My wife can make much much better curries than me. I have dedicated a significant portion of my life to the study of curry, and I'm puzzled as to why it is like this.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm the Asian cook in our house. Cannot do the day to day mundane stuff but enjoy playing around with some ingredients on a Saturday night if we are in. Always have plenty of base sauces/soups for Indian and Thai ready in the freezer.

My wife can make much much better curries than me. I have dedicated a significant portion of my life to the study of curry, and I'm puzzled as to why it is like this.

Master the base sauce first then everything else is simple.

It is vital to start with a GOOD homemade base sauce.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I'm useless in the kitchen.

The good lady wife prepares all of the food. I'm not even allowed in the kitchen when she's cooking as I just get in the way. I've never had any real opportunity to cook, nor desire to change that.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Usually my wife,but I do have my 'areas of expertise' where I am in charge and do the cooking: roasts,including Christmas dinner,all fish dishes,steaks and such like.
Of course,barbeques are my domain as well!!:)
Washing up,loading dishwasher and clearing up is shared.

You mean you get the glory meals like roasts and bbq's, easy to cook but you get a pat on the back and she slogs away 99% of the time cooking all the other meals. Nice.

Live on my own so do all the cooking. I like it, when I was with the ex she used to cook in the week as she's a teacher and was always home afore me. I get fed at work most of the time be it catering or hotel food, some good, some awful so really enjoy going out to buy ingredients and cooking a meal myself. I'm a fair to middling cook.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We are very reliant on Mrs Hut, I do plan to learn to cook a lot better when I have more time.

Probably a retirement aspiration.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
The previous GF couldn't cook for toffee, so it was down to me mostly to cook stuff.

I can do curries, nice casseroles and all sorts of stuff.

I've yet to find a woman who is a better cook than me :)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My wife got a Nexus from me at Christmas, whilst in return I received a very nice food mixer.

Really a case of enjoying it. I can spend hours researching the best Yorkshire pudding recipe (*)

(*) Equal quantities of liquid, eggs and plain flour - where the liquid is 50% milk, 50% beer.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Been married for 33 years and have never picked up a pan.
Wouldn't know what to do. Spend all my time out of the house earning money and what spare time i have use it doing mechanical things.
Cooking have never interested me in the slightest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I do all the cooking, plus all the other household chores, including school runs and pack lunches, but not cleaning. Only fair as wife works long hours in a stressful environment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife does most of it in our house but I do cook occasionally but she then complains about the mess as I never use a spoon fork or pan twice I get a clean one each time which means loads of washing up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here