Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you want to win the Mercury Music Prize?

Who do you want to win the Mercury Music Prize?

• Adele

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • British Sea Power

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Buriel

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Elbow

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Estelle

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Laura Marling

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Neon Neon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portico Quartet

• Rachel Unthank & The Winterset

• Radiohead

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Robert Plant & Alsion Krauss

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • The Last Shadow Puppets

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Woohoo! Go Elbow! Well deserved.

Can't wait to see them again next month (sixth time this year).

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Apart from "In Rainbows" which i don't really like (like the vast majority of Radiohead's stuff I have to say) I have only heard snippets of the Plant/Krauss album which is pretty good but not groundbreaking.
The only album which I have got on that list is "Untrue" by Burial which is absolutely amazing. I read a review at the turn of the year which raved about it so much that i went and bought the album unheard. It is astounding stuff. there's clips of it on "Youtube" and various other sites but they only give little excerpts and it really needs to be heard in full.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The only album which I have got on that list is "Untrue" by Burial which is absolutely amazing. I read a review at the turn of the year which raved about it so much that i went and bought the album unheard. It is astounding stuff. there's clips of it on "Youtube" and various other sites but they only give little excerpts and it really needs to be heard in full.

Cheers. I'm going to buy it tomorrow. :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Radio 3's brilliant Late Junction programme is playing tracks from the mercury prize contenders tonight.

Track from Burial on this minute..

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
All this prize shows is the proper lack of groundbreaking music being generated in this country at the moment.

I don't think we have had an important record for years...probably dating back to The Street debut of the early Super Furry Animals stuff.

Decent music? Of course there has been some. Truly groundbreaking new music? Not nearly enough - and certainly not The Arctic f***ing Monkeys...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Late Junction - BBC Radio 3 - tues,weds,thurs 11.15pm - 1am

Simply the best music programme on proper radio, and has been for years :clap:

No, IMHO about it, this is FACT !

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All this prize shows is the proper lack of groundbreaking music being generated in this country at the moment.

I don't think we have had an important record for years...probably dating back to The Street debut of the early Super Furry Animals stuff.

Decent music? Of course there has been some. Truly groundbreaking new music? Not nearly enough - and certainly not The Arctic f***ing Monkeys...

Do yourself a favour and start listening to Late Junction regular.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
2 tracks from Laura Marling on now.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not denying the Elbow album is good, but isn't the whole idea of this to reward something that is groundbreaking - otherwise it's just the bloody Brits. If they're going to award it to another 'indie' white guitar band, at least they could have given it to an innovative and interesting one like BSP. Elbow= boring, safe and predictable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here