Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 166 25.3%

• Total voters

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Its a done deal :ROFLMAO:

Capture.PNG

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Potter didn't have PL experience until we appointed him.

RDZ didn't have PL experience until we appointed him.

Pep didn't have PL experience until Citeh appointed him.

Klipperty didn't have PL experience until Liverpool appointed him.

Ange P didn't have PL experience until spuds appointed him.

Etc etc etc....

"Got to have PL experience" is like saying that you can only go to Bognor on holiday because it's in Sussex and we can't go on holiday anywhere outside of Sussex.
Well, Potter also knows the club inside out and that experience may be useful to settle in quicker with the players.

I didn’t know the full extent of McKenna’s experience until I read this:-

16 years of coaching experience puts him beyond almost every top tier manager/head coach In terms of longevity. If we can get him, it could prove to be a big success story, but like every other ambitious coach, BHA is not top of their long-term management list. We have to accept that it’s inevitable that any manager/head coach who joins the club will only want to stick around for 2 or 3 seasons if a bigger club comes knocking.

We are a mid-sized club, who will need to match Ipswich’s £5m annual salary offer. Manager wages have finally caught up with players, rightly so. That means that most managers will not be put off by the wages we offer, Potter included. De Zerbi knew we couldn’t match his ambitions in other aspects, which is fair enough I think. So Potter could come back, but will want a bigger club again if the opportunity arises. McKenna, like every other ambitious manager/head coach would not stay for long either (he wants to manage Man United, now or in the future, that is clear).

We are a stepping stone club, as Paul Barber has advertised, but that is not necessarily a bad thing if we can continue to get some of the best young players and managers in world football, just enjoy the ride while they are with us.

I do feel that the PL experience is a bit overblown and provincial. It's not like we are playing a completely different sport than they play in Germany, France, Italy, Sweden, or even the Championship. All things being equal, sure, you'd take the guy with some/more PL experience over an equally qualified alternative, but I can't imagine it really makes that much difference in this day and age.
Ok, so I should’ve said elite league experience, whatever. Only England, Spain, Italy and Germany qualify. MLS doesn’t 😂

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I didn’t know the full extent of McKenna’s experience until I read this:-

16 years of coaching experience puts him beyond almost every top tier manager/head coach In terms of longevity. If we can get him, it could prove to be a big success story, but like every other ambitious coach, BHA is not top of their long-term management list. We have to accept that it’s inevitable that any manager/head coach who joins the club will only want to stick around for 2 or 3 seasons if a bigger club comes knocking.

We are a mid-sized club, who will need to match Ipswich’s £5m annual salary offer. Manager wages have finally caught up with players, rightly so. That means that most managers will not be put off by the wages we offer, Potter included. De Zerbi knew we couldn’t match his ambitions in other aspects, which is fair enough I think. So Potter could come back, but will want a bigger club again if the opportunity arises. McKenna, like every other ambitious manager/head coach would not stay for long either (he wants to manage Man United, now or in the future, that is clear).

We are a stepping stone club, as Paul Barber has advertised, but that is not necessarily a bad thing if we can continue to get some of the best young players and managers in world football, just enjoy the ride while they are with us.
I find your last sentence interesting and how longevity would play a part amongst the fan base. Once you have a taste of success in our case Europa league football the obvious reaction is to want more and build on that success.
If it’s then dumbed down by the club to well if we just make the top ten that would be a decent season supporters would start to question ambition.
Europa league whilst fun for the supporters was probably a headache the hierarchy could have done without.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It clearly didn't happen like that. Barber has told us Potter left on good terms. So why don't you trust Barber?

I too was shocked and disapointed to see Bruno and Ben Roberts leaving along with Potter, but when De Zerbi showed up with his mega team it all made sense. I all was a ruthless and nescessary part of our succession planning. We will have to learn to live with it.

In the end it doesn't matter. There is no way we can afford to mach Potters current salary from Chelsea, and he isn't going to give it up to rejoin us.
Not talking about his relationship with Barber/Bloom - but with the fans.

I felt incredibly let down when he upped sticks, especially the timing of it. It's hard to get over that.

knekkebrød

May 20, 2018
Norway
I can’t deny you the right to have your own feelings about how Potter left. I guess for me I just got over it with time.

I think Bloom and Barber has earned the right to make the decision they feel is best for the club when they hire the next head coach. And I think it is fair of them to expect that the fans will stay loyal to it, at least for a while.

Not that I expect Potter to give up enough (money and pride) to make it possible for him to be an option.

That sweede from Malmö FF looks interesting. I think I like his personality, from the little I've seen so far. =) Malmö won 5-0 against his former team yesterday

I find your last sentence interesting and how longevity would play a part amongst the fan base. Once you have a taste of success in our case Europa league football the obvious reaction is to want more and build on that success.
If it’s then dumbed down by the club to well if we just make the top ten that would be a decent season supporters would start to question ambition.
Europa league whilst fun for the supporters was probably a headache the hierarchy could have done without.
Europa League was well beyond the clubs expectations, even conference league was a hope, rather than expectation. That is where the club is at if it wants to remain on a sound financial footing. Us fans should be very happy with conference league every few seasons TBH, but as you say, that taste of Europa League demands more than might be achievable. We get into Europe, we lose our manager and the cycle repeats, that’s the frustrating element if you don’t maintain focus on the achievement of being in Europe each time.

We need to keep Mitoma if we want to grow commercially, which is why the Japan summer tour is really important. At the moment, we are still a local club, without anywhere near the reach and international revenue of the establishment. Japan is a massive opportunity and the club will need to recruit regularly from there, maybe a player from one of the opponents this time and so on.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Europa League was well beyond the clubs expectations, even conference league was a hope, rather than expectation. That is where the club is at if it wants to remain on a sound financial footing. Us fans should be very happy with conference league every few seasons TBH, but as you say, that taste of Europa League demands more than might be achievable. We get into Europe, we lose our manager and the cycle repeats, that’s the frustrating element if you don’t maintain focus on the achievement of being in Europe each time.

We need to keep Mitoma if we want to grow commercially, which is why the Japan summer tour is really important. At the moment, we are still a local club, without anywhere near the reach and international revenue of the establishment. Japan is a massive opportunity and the club will need to recruit regularly from there, maybe a player from one of the opponents this time and so on.
A friend of mine works in the warehouse at the Amex and packs up merchandise that is shipped all over the world all day every day. I found it quite surprising although that is the reach of the PL.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Mckenna has been offered £5+ million for a newly promoted club, and yet we were only paying RDZ Sub £2m.
Maybe our wages contracts need a reality check.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Imagine your partner moving in with you, messing around with your house and all the stuff in it. Then just as everything is beginning to workout and it's all looking great for the future, and you make investments like new carpets and so on - they see someone else with more money and leave you, taking with them most of what you have built up and spent your money on - leaving you still with a house but no windows or doors and with the potential to be completely ruined.

Would you be angry?

And how would you feel if a few years later they just strolled back in again.
Would they have left a few million on the table as compensation??

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Saw this, and it gives a bit of an overview of the top stats from this year's Championship.

Might explain why we are linked with Martin - highest possession and second highest xg (although Southampton aren't clinical and concede a lot of goals.... Bit like us!)

Interestingly, Ipswich who over-performed their xG by 16.9 - so just seem to be really clinical....

Screenshot_20240525-182201~2.png

Screenshot_20240525-183049~2.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here