Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 166 25.3%

• Total voters

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Let's not forget, football under Potter was almost always lacking in the final third... something we have all seen and moaned about on the last half season under RDZ.... under the Italian it was largely down to injuries,.... under Potter it is the simply the way his teams are set up.... for this reason, and the fact that he is a turncoat, money grabbing mercenary, ... I'm out.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My only worry is how quickly would he leave us again when things are going well and a top job comes up. It's like if your Mrs was super hot but she cheated on you, could you ever take her back and trust her again?

Otherwise I'm not entirely against it. Seems like a safe and sensible option.
Well, he probably wouldn't (a) be offered a top job after what happened at Chelsea, and (b) less likely to want to leave again.

To be honest this is one of the biggest things this appointment would have going for it. For the whole of the last 18 months to a year of Potter we had these rumours - when we were doing well there would be talk of him taking a big job, it would fade when we had a bad run only to come back in spades when we were hitting the heights by the end of his time. The same then happened with RDZ, within six months of his appointment he was being touted for big jobs and constantly throughout the last season. And exactly the same will happen with McKenna or any other young exciting manager we appoint, if they do well they will be touted and we will lose them within two and a half seasons.

I'm fed up of this. Yet look at Emery, he's deemed to have failed at a big club, so his name is never linked with a big job. We've got Maresca and Mckenna linked with Chelsea, Mckenna and Frank linked with United, RDZ linked to every club going, Kompany rocking up at Bayern. Yet Emery has taken Villa to 4th in the premier league, playing great football with a squad punching above its weight and nowhere near the income of the big clubs - but not being linked, presumably because he has failed, and presumably also because he's definitively told everyone he's not moving.

Then look at Eddie Howe, he was an exciting young manager in the lower leagues, did two years as coach at Bournemouth and then jumped up the leagues to Burnley. Didn't really work out there, went back to Bournemouth and managed them for another eight seasons, despite lots of speculation about him taking on other jobs. And completely changed that club for the better, probably for decades to come. After moving once he realised grass wasn't always greener.

Last edited:

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
It’ll be strange booing from the kick off of the first game of the new season, but it is what it is…..and if that Judas Bruno is with him…..it’ll be tenfold !

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m really not a fan of going back, yet I absolutely trust the owner. So I’d cautiously accept him back if Bloom thinks he’s the guy, but I am hoping he isn’t.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
Do you remember 30th October 2022??

Why would he ?

Why would we want him ?

If he did and we welcome him back it just shows how fickle football fans are.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Does this really need another thread? There are already two Potter threads in the first ten threads on the front page. This is just another post, nothing new or original said. I don’t know why you felt it merited its own thread.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
I would be very happy with him. It would steady the ship after a few tuberlant months under RDZ. Potter would be my first choice with the names mentioned.
😂
N I bet you were giving him #### just 18 months ago

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m less bothered about the ‘betrayal’ and more about the lack of cutting edge. Watching Potterball could be a very frustrating experience, and we’ve got a much weaker squad now than when he left.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Do you remember 30th October 2022??

Why would he ?

Why would we want him ?

If he did and we welcome him back it just shows how fickle football fans are.
We’re all fickle especially football fans. Murray goes to palace and we welcome him back like a hero, potter leaves for a club with the potential to win the lot and he’s vilified. We’re all a bit strange.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Little time or respect for supporters, slow dull football for the most part, failed to get the best out of great players like Trossard and Gross, doesn't utilise wingers (Mitoma), had to come with a wealth or PR telling us he was good when we were shit for 2 and a half years, so fake (the glow up, that cringe speech about winning the Champions League for Chelsea).

Can't stand him. Enjoyed his football for about 10 games in 3 years. Really hope the algorithms find someone better than that absolute dullard again.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So we'll let a manager, who dared to dream and pushed the club to aim higher, "mutually" leave only to replace him with someone coming back for a coasting "easy life" and who'll ( on the evidence of past behaviour ) gut the club again when he sods off to the England job.

Grim. On all levels.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Other.

Just to add a fresh idea into the mix - One of my top choices would be American born, Fabian Hurzeler, as said on another thread. As a player, product of Bayern Munich youth academy and assistant manager of Germany’s U18 and U20. Has Pep, Areta and De Zerbi (largely) as his influences so already playing a similar system. Very young (31) like Farioli and just promoted St Pauli to Bundesliga . Seems to have found the ’Plan B’ to beating low blocks, conceding only 0.8 goals a game this season, as well as using long balls and focussing on defending set pieces, 4 areas we need to improve in. (We placed loan players with SP under Potter when Shultz was in charge and Hurzeler apparently visited Brighton in January to watch our match v Spurs for ’ideas’ so I would be very surprised if we have not been tracking him since he was assistant coach in 2020 and then took over in 2022.)

Renewed a contract in March that includes an exit clause and is attracting lots of attention in Germany so wouldn’t be cheap - also maybe too soon in his career for a mid-table EPL but then we are looking at McKenna apparently who a has similar level of experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here