Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 166 25.3%

• Total voters

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Potter signed Caicedo, Estupinan, Trossard, Enciso, Gilmour, Adingra, Undav, Mitoma, van Hecke, Veltman and several other players who were all instrumental in qualifying for Europe. In fact, we had a great start under Potter in that season (22/23) which De Zerbi would benefit from - not trying to undermine the great work that De Zerbi did.
The club sign players, the coach is the coach.
Surely this is common knowledge now.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The manager merry go round Summer 2024

Chelsea - Thomas Frank
Brentford - Potter
Man Utd - McKenna
Ipswich - Rob Edwards
Brighton - Enzo Maresca
Leicester- David Moyes

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
The club sign players, the coach is the coach.
Surely this is common knowledge now.
Surely the coach has an influence over the players he signs, no? De Zerbi did with Fati and Dahoud; both would inevitably be transfer flops.

Even if not, Potter transformed Brighton from a team flirting with relegation to a top-half side and some people still can’t accept that. I don’t think you can deny that without Potter, we wouldn’t be in the great position we are in currently (Europe, etc.)

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Potter signed Caicedo, Estupinan, Trossard, Enciso, Gilmour, Adingra, Undav, Mitoma, van Hecke, Veltman and several other players who were all instrumental in qualifying for Europe. In fact, we had a great start under Potter in that season (22/23) which De Zerbi would benefit from - not trying to undermine the great work that De Zerbi did.
He did not sign those players. He probably hadn't even heard of most of them.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The manager merry go round Summer 2024

Chelsea - Thomas Frank
Brentford - Potter
Man Utd - McKenna
Ipswich - Rob Edwards
Brighton - Enzo Maresca
Leicester- David Moyes

I’ve seen this banded around a bit re: Frank.

The most wild take ever. Can’t see why Chelsea would do this, esp now. Like…why wouldn’t they have done it with any of their previous Clearlake appointments? If anything it’s the worst stock TF has had. Maybe cheaper for comp but makes no sense to me. Just lazy 2+2.

Please someone tell me why it makes sense.

Does he work with a notoriously young squad? Is Brentford a particularly head coach based system? Chelsea talk about long termism but are evidently “top 4 or failure”. Frank hasn’t proven, at least IMO, any tactical naus to suggest he can achieve that. Even Kompany managed to inexplicably blag that while getting absolutely mullered, all season. Frank seems to be definitively beige atm. Am I being harsh?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

The most wild take ever. Can’t see why Chelsea would do this, esp now. Like…why wouldn’t they have done it with any of their previous Clearlake appointments? If anything it’s the worst stock TF has had. Maybe cheaper for comp but makes no sense to me. Just lazy 2+2.

Does he work with a notoriously young squad? Is Brentford a particularly head coach based system? Chelsea talk about long termism but are evidently “top 4 or failure”. Frank hasn’t proven, at least IMO, any tactical naus to suggest he can achieve that. Even Kompany managed to inexplicably blag that while getting absolutely mullered, all season. Frank seems to be definitively beige atm. Am I being harsh?
Yup. Not a chance Frank is going to Chelsea.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
For all those wanting Potter back why would he have any fire in his belly this time around? Genuine question.
It would be an absolute disaster we need a hungry coach who wants to prove himself.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Does anything Chelsea do make sense ? 🤣

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Surely the coach has an influence over the players he signs, no? De Zerbi did with Fati and Dahoud; both would inevitably be transfer flops.

Even if not, Potter transformed Brighton from a team flirting with relegation to a top-half side and some people still can’t accept that. I don’t think you can deny that without Potter, we wouldn’t be in the great position we are in currently (Europe, etc.)

I agree that Potter did a great job with the tools he had, at the time. But also with hindsight there were some players that flourished when he left.

If he were to return, and I’m chucking with excitement and irony at the prospect, some players (Solly, Steele) might not be buzzing. But also maybe GP will have a new appreciation for their skills.

Joking aside, I guess it is very possible, but it’s also a very complex appointment for TB if he were to come back. I’m not too sure why GP would even entertain it. Let’s not fool ourselves. He didn’t seem to like it much here in the first place.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

We wouldn’t. be in the PL without Hughton either.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
For all those wanting Potter back why would he have any fire in his belly this time around? Genuine question.
It would be an absolute disaster we need a hungry coach who wants to prove himself.

I think the added layer of 50% of fans thinking he is a f***ing massive f***ing piece of shit would be a big distraction. The fire in his belly would be tempered by the £20m+ he got for 6 months work at Chelsea. Any job prospect would be a bit meh after that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think the added layer of 50% of fans thinking he is a f***ing massive f***ing piece of shit would be a big distraction. The fire in his belly would be tempered by the £20m+ he got for 6 months work at Chelsea. Any job prospect would be a bit meh after that.
This, if he wanted just to coach a team for the love of the game Ajax was perfect. If you are good you are in the champions league within a season.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Not necessarily. I think we need to bring stability to the club as we are currently in a problematic situation. Potter seems to be the best manager in the list to achieve such aims as he has experience in the Premier League and at Brighton - this is all my personal opinion.

He may create another period of transition for another manager to benefit from.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014

You prove my point. That is why we don't have a system of letting managers sign their own playes. Fati and Dahoud.

I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, he is. However, it's worth noting that he had us fourth after 6 games, not 20!

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
You prove my point. That is why we don't have a system of letting managers sign their own playes. Fati and Dahoud.

I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, he is. However, it's worth noting that he had us fourth after 6 games, not 20!
You don’t believe that Potter could’ve achieved Europe if he had stayed? I know he is a good coach who has Premier League experience; that is why I wouldn’t be against him coming back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here