Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 96 15.0%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 164 25.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 36 5.6%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.5%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.9%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.5%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 160 24.9%

• Total voters

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I think McKenna is realistic.

Given Barber has links with him at Spurs and Vancouver, I think we can assume they talk - and not just about Jeremy Sarmiento.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I disagree that that there's no chance he's leaving. Given that Ipswich were in League 1 last year, next season its going to be incredibly difficult for them to stay up. If he's realistic about the Ipswich job, and is acknowledging the level of difficulty in keeping the up, then he may decide to leave while his stock is high, rather than wait it to drop when they get relegated. I personally don't think he will leave, but as we all know, everybody looks out for number 1 first in football so I wouldn't say there's no chance.
I agree. Look at Steve Cooper - hugely popular with Forest fans and performed a miracle to get them promoted, then gets the tin tack. If he’s ambitious it would actually be a smart move from McKenna to make a switch now because the cards will be stacked against him next season at Ipswich.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
For the football we’d play McKenna or Edwards. Both impressed me seriously.

However I am not sure they have the experience to handle our set up which take a specific set of skills. And no that doesn’t mean it will be Liam Neeson…

Honestly it’s a really tricky decision for Tony. Expect yet again we’re a more attractive prospect than we were when Potter left so awareness on our methods and potential will even more well known so the calibre of applicants should be higher. However
I think he might be put off by the RDZ experience of coming in agreeing to work within the set parameters and then demanding a change in approach and so might plump for a lesser known name who might be more malleable.

adub68

Jul 25, 2013
Farioli who finished 5th at Nice (and who according to Tribal Football RDZ has suggested to Tony B); or Arrasate for his pressing style (more Klopp than RDZ). Both may likely see Albion as a step up.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Am hoping if it's McKenna we have at least sounded out his agents and have a decent idea as to whether he wants it or not.

I'd be surprised if a new manager wasn't announced very quickly given all the planning that goes into these situations.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For the football we’d play McKenna or Edwards. Both impressed me seriously.

However I am not sure they have the experience to handle our set up which take a specific set of skills. And no that doesn’t mean it will be Liam Neeson…

Honestly it’s a really tricky decision for Tony. Expect yet again we’re a more attractive prospect than we were when Potter left so awareness on our methods and potential will even more well known so the calibre of applicants should be higher. However
I think he might be put off by the RDZ experience of coming in agreeing to work within the set parameters and then demanding a change in approach and so might plump for a lesser known name who might be more malleable.
I agree, l fully expect the new appointment to be someone we hadn't even considered, and/or someone we have barely heard of.

I mean that's the Brighton way isn't it, how many of us had even heard of RDZ before he was given the job? P;robably the only reason we had heard of Graham Potter was because he was already a head coach in this country. He was hardly a top name.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Dunnnnno. Feels like a massive red herring
I'm getting the same impression. Last time around the earliest linked names were Steve Cooper, Brendan Rogers, Rusell Martin, Nathan Jones etc and none of them rang true as very Bloom like. Although, when Chris Hughton was sacked Potter seemed to be the only name anyone mentioned. I don't know much about McKenna, so maybe I've just lumped him in as another decent young manager from the Championship who the media links to every job. I keep hearing that we're seriously impressed that he has taken Ipswich to successive promotions and just think 'surely everyone is impressed with that,' but a face who was probably the last to acheive that just keeps haunting me:

1716211045694.png

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I would not be shocked if the McKenna thing is a red herring. When RDZ was appointed no one was really looking at him being the favorite. Farioli or Knutsen far more likely I'd say.
Either of those would be very disappointing. Knutsen is clearly great at Bodo/Glimt but he seems to get into negotiations with clubs all over Europe and it falls apart - probably a non-starter there at best and something wrong at worst. Farioli is an interesting character for sure, but he's a more defensive version of Potter. His record at Nice is 40 goals from 34 games. That's a considerably lower rate than Hughton's first season in the Premier League. His defensive frugality is second to none really. Here is a good run down of the issues at Nice - "Nice have rarely been entertaining this season, but they have been efficient."

De Zerbi showed us football in technicolour, I can't go back to low scoring black and white. Give me someone who will aim for the stars again and try and get there by scoring loads of goals.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I second that, Brighton born and bred, ex Albion, supported us as a kid at the Goldstone, favours possession football, understands the clubs philosophy and background, ambitious young manager success in the lower leagues.
McKenna must surely be a better option though as he has had more success with a smaller budget than RM.
It’s why Chelsea and Man United are watching him closely.
He’s coached at the highest level at Man United as an assistant and is known well by Barber.
I wouldn’t be averse to RM as a back up.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Matthias Jaissle worth tempting ?

Did an amazing job at Salzburg before going over to the evil side in Saudi. One of the highest rated young managers around.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I'm getting the same impression. Last time around the earliest linked names were Steve Cooper, Brendan Rogers, Rusell Martin, Nathan Jones etc and none of them rang true as very Bloom like. Although, when Chris Hughton was sacked Potter seemed to be the only name anyone mentioned. I don't know much about McKenna, so maybe I've just lumped him in as another decent young manager from the Championship who the media links to every job. I keep hearing that we're seriously impressed that he has taken Ipswich to successive promotions and just think 'surely everyone is impressed with that,' but a face who was probably the last to acheive that just keeps haunting me:

View attachment 182662
I have followed a bit of the Championship due to mates who have teams in it, and there’s no comparison really. Ipswich play football that Adkins could only dream of and it’s quite similar to us. And he’s done it with very little resources and no ‘star’ players really. I’d imagine pretty much all the lights on TB’s stats dashboard are Green for McKenna. But whether he can be persuaded to come is another matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here