Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you want to be the next England manager?

If anyone picks Steve McClaren I propose a life-time ban from the board

• Total voters

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I've just got a feeling that Roy Hodgson will be next England manager and the more I think about it, the more realistic I think it could be. Managed abroad and has a wealth of experience, never been involved in anything dodgy and the FA might want someone clean rather than 'arry, who I can't see being an international manager with no money to spend. He's gone through a lot in the last couple of weeks and he's not daft enough to acccept the poisoned chalice with all the pressure. 1/3? Terrible odds.

So I may just stick a few quid on Woy @ 10/1, and I think he'd do well as the next England boss.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
For his man management & motivational skills I'd go for Martin O'Neill.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Club success doesn't necessarily lead to international success but Shearer and Pearce's lack of achievement in club football make them less qualified to do the job than Chris Hughton or Alan Pardew.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The pick of those listed is clearly Mourinho. Other than that I think that O'Neill would do a fantastic job.

Harry Redknapp is as objectionable a human being as certain parts of the current squad(so I guess he'd be a perfect fit...) and has a very average record. He does try to get his teams playing attractive, positive football though and that's about all we can ask for. We're not going to win a major tournament so at least lets go out in a bit of style.

There's such a ground swell of opinion towards having an English manager and towards Harry in particular that it seems inevitable that it'll be him next. Although, going on the general incompetence of the F.A they'll probably appoint Steve Bruce...

DavePage

Club success doesn't necessarily lead to international success but Shearer and Pearce's lack of achievement in club football make them less qualified to do the job than Chris Hughton or Alan Pardew.

The back room staff will be enormous as always, training, etc
The manager as I see it at this level is a motivator, someone that has the respect of the players.
Someone that can bring out the best of the players, not just there to tweak their training.
Someone that has the balls to play players on their ability and their desire to play for England,
not just the so called superstars who piss away more money in a weekend than we would earn in a lifetime.
So my point was that they would/should play better for a past player that they respect & looked up to in their early playing years.
A player that wore his heart on his sleeve.
it’s nothing like managing at club level. He just needs to pick the players & motivate them.
No country has the best players in all positions, you just need to gell them as a team, create a family that would die for each other.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
In order Mourinho, MON, Redknapp (although I don't think Mourinho would come so MON)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
John Barnes, he's so versatile:
Striker
Rapper
TV football pundit
TV presenter
England manager????

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How tragic that it is popularly deemed that the next manager must be English. In world or even European terms, English managers are, for the most part, total shite.

For a start, what in the name of Konnie Huq's landing strip do we need an 'inspirational motivator' for?

Guardiola, please - he'll do. :)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It is a competition of nations so there is a logic that says he should be English. I was happy to go with a foreign manager - but as we are rubbish regardless - I prefer to be rubbish under an English manager and still be in the spirit of the competition.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Haven't read the whole thread but in case he hasn't been mentioned: Brendan Rodgers.

We need someone to reshape football in this country from top to bottom. If the National team plays football the right way, it filters down. If grass roots footballers play the right way it filters up.

We need someone in charge of England who can help "re-shape" the very notion of football in this country. There are only two men currently doing that in the country. Gus and Rodgers. The premise is the same: remodel a set up from top to bottom.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Haven't read the whole thread but in case he hasn't been mentioned: Brendan Rodgers.

We need someone to reshape football in this country from top to bottom. If the National team plays football the right way, it filters down. If grass roots footballers play the right way it filters up.

We need someone in charge of England who can help "re-shape" the very notion of football in this country. There are only two men currently doing that in the country. Gus and Rodgers. The premise is the same: remodel a set up from top to bottom.

I see where you're coming from but not sure if that is the England managers job, isn’t it Brooking who is development director responsible for this ?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I see where you're coming from but not sure if that is the England managers job, isn’t it Brooking who is development director responsible for this ?

It has to START with the manager though. They are the focal point. If the national team play a certain way, kids copy.

The manager role should be a full time hands on role. Let's face it, what did Capello actually do when England didnt have any games? Turn up at Anfield on a Saturday and watch Stewart Downing shank a few crosses into touch?

The England manager should be out and about the country ona full time basis, rolling his sleeves up and coaching kids and ensuring HIS methods are being followed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here