Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you think are the 3 most likely signings Chris Hughton will make?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He had many problems at Wolves and just perhaps he may realise that he has to change his attitude if he wishes to continue playing football, and perhaps CH could be the man to make him realise and change him. Does anybody, players that is, pay attention to what fans shout NO as most is said in jealousy as was demonstrated by the morons from Wolves at The Amex against him simply because he was earning more per week than most of them earned per year.

Bollocks. His lack of effort was an insult to the fans that day. I'd rather we gave Kemy another go - the club has to pay his wages til June anyway - than take on another lazy **** like that.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Bassong I would welcome BUT we signed Halford already so unless we are going to lose Dunk in this window I think it would be a poor use of the transfer fee (reportedly £1.1m) and wages.

Have I missed something ?
Is the £1.1 m for Dunk or Bassong? Where`s this being reported?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bit obvious no?

Bassong I would welcome BUT we signed Halford already so unless we are going to lose Dunk in this window I think it would be a poor use of the transfer fee (reportedly £1.1m) and wages.

Garrido is described as a marauding left back but we have Joe Bennett already so unless on a free this looks like one we would be better waiting until the close season.

Elliott Bennett is a big YES for me depending on the fee and whether their new manager (Phelan or Oscar?) fancies him. I thought he began to show his true form once the weight of Sami's dubious tactics was lifted.

If we hold on to O'Grady (a decision which seems to be as much about emotional and family commitments as financial and footballing ones) then I think we need a back-up target man for him. Bolton's choice of Heskey was inspired in my view - not as a goalscorer but as someone who others can play off. I would go for Vaughan at Huddersfield - injury prone perhaps but that might make him affordable and on his day one of the best target men in this division. Failing that Doyle at Chesterfield looks interesting but the competition for his signature might be too steep.

I think we need to decide between CMS and Baldock as the man to play through channels and play that person every game bearing in mind both have flourished playing off a target man. If it is going to be Baldock who is on a long term deal then CMS either needs to be sold before his contract expires or played wider to compete with Colunga. What we don't have is an attacking central midfielder to challenge JFC. If Tex wasn't so lightweight he has the skills but what we desperately lack is a "midfield captain" who will keep his head and marshall those around him when we don't have the ball and drive us forward when we do. Some names for the hat? Karl Henry from QPR (unrealistic) or Danny Guthrie (Reading).

I was going to say what a good post until you mentioned Karl Henry. Dreadful, dreadful footballer. Vaughan? Yes please.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
True, but then he may also make no effort to change his attitude, leaving him as a bit of a gamble for one of CH's first signings. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to believe that he has/will sort himself out but football is one of the few industries where having an attitude problem can still be amply rewarded (Ranger, Harewood, early Barton), leaving little incentive to change.

As I said IF Chris Hughton could be the one to sort his attitude out he would be a good signing as his days of big wages are gone. Blackpool are on very low wages and their money is made up by bonus payments based on points and goals etc. His expected wage now would be within our scale easily.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As I said IF Chris Hughton could be the one to sort his attitude out he would be a good signing as his days of big wages are gone. Blackpool are on very low wages and their money is made up by bonus payments based on points and goals etc. His expected wage now would be within our scale easily.

Oh I agree with you, but it's a massive if, which led me to question him as being named as a potential first signing for Hughton.

Maybe a bit further down the line it would make sense but CH is likely to be judged on the first few players he brings in, for O'Hara to be one of them would be either a very brave or a very bad idea.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rumours site says
Permenant: Andy Johnston Rudolph Austin Elliott Bennett
Loan: Liam Bridcutt and Wilson Placios

I dont agree too many defensive midfielders in that list Johnston is an interesting one just released by Palace can score goals or rather could, can he still do it. He is similar to what we have in CMS and Baldock not a hold up striker. So we shall have to wait and see if any come off.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Rumours site says

I dont agree too many defensive midfielders in that list Johnston is an interesting one just released by Palace can score goals or rather could, can he still do it. He is similar to what we have in CMS and Baldock not a hold up striker. So we shall have to wait and see if any come off.
I suspect the Johnston one is just the usual, tedious palace trolling. Isn't he a total crock now?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Have I missed something ?
Is the £1.1 m for Dunk or Bassong? Where`s this being reported?

There was a report in the Norwich press that we might be interested in signing Bassong (purely because CH signed him for the canaries) and valuing him at £1.1m. The fullback Garrido was linked in the Pink Un in the same way but by fans who don't rate him and want to get rid - very similar style-wise to Joe B.

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was going to say what a good post until you mentioned Karl Henry. Dreadful, dreadful footballer. Vaughan? Yes please.

I agree 100% but is that what it will take to dig us out of trouble? I don't think it's a realistic option because I'm sure he has been playing recently but he is a leader on and off the pitch; he does have skill; and he does know his way around a football pitch. Danny Guthrie is a similarly "nasty" player who I don't particularly like but who might be what we need right now.
I'm thinking we don't have much time for long-termism in this particular window.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Rumours site says

1. The rumour site is the biggest load of rubbish
2. Are you talking about Palace Andy Johnson??? He is the last person I want here!
3. Liam Bridcutt woudl6 be amazing but no chance , he's featuring regularly for Sunderland

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No insider information (not that anyone else has any either), but looks like Kris Commons is likely to leave Celtic in January and will make a very good signing for someone in the Championship in my opinion.

Stumpy Tim

We need a goal-scoring target man, and I don't think COG is that man if I'm honest. I like him & he is a decent player, but he isn't the man to lead the line for a team looking to build for promotion shot next season. He would be a good back-up, but he said himself he gets unfit if he doesn't play a lot. So I suspect COG will leave for Sheffield Utd & we'll get a new striker. My money is on Becchio.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rumours site says

I don't even know where to start so I'm not going to bother. At least the clear spelling error & the clear 'been written by a 14 yr old palace fan who needs to get out more' hits have been pointed out to you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here