Who do you see as being a threat next season?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Bournemouth, Have a chairman who is not afraid to spend a bit, a great young manager and they have finished off this season strongly. Can see them battling for the top 6 next season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think Wolves probably have the best manager outside the Premier League at the moment, with the possible exception of Sean Dyche.

?? Didn't do too well at Millwall, and Wolves with their budget were expected to come straight back up.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Middlesbrough. It took Karanka a while to get up to speed but ended the season well and could be dark horses next year.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. 'Boro are coming together nicely and Karanka is working wonders for them. They've even got rid of a LOT of deadwood over the last two seasons.

Let's say for arguments sake that Derby go up via the play offs..

QPR
Wigan
Norwich
Cardiff
Fulham
Reading
Blackburn
Bournemouth
Ipswich
Watford
Middlesborough
Wolves

That's 12 clubs right there that we need to beat over forty-six games. Bear in mind we have an aging squad now and, as far as anyone can determine, a fairly poor transfer policy. Then factor in how many of those teams have parachute payments that we can't compete with. If we go after the same players we will not secure them. Poyet brought in some superb signings - time to let Garcia try and do the same.

Next season is going to be incredibly hard whether we go up or not. IMO we need a fairly generous serving of transfer dosh AND luck if we want to be up there.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. 'Boro are coming together nicely and Karanka is working wonders for them. They've even got rid of a LOT of deadwood over the last two seasons.

QPR
Wigan
Norwich
Cardiff
Fulham
Reading
Blackburn
Bournemouth
Ipswich
Watford
Middlesborough
Wolves

That's 12 clubs right there that we need to beat over forty-six games. Bear in mind we have an aging squad now and, as far as anyone can determine, a fairly poor transfer policy. Then factor in how many of those teams have parachute payments that we can't compete with. If we go after the same players we will not secure them. Poyet brought in some superb signings - time to let Garcia try and do the same.

Next season is going to be incredibly hard whether we go up or not. IMO we need a fairly generous serving of transfer dosh AND luck if we want to be up there.

I was looking forward to next season...until I saw this list, much stronger than this year iyam...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think he did quite well at Millwall. Got them promoted and kept them in this division fairly comfortably.

I must be listening too much to the Millwall season ticket holders at work, none too impressed with the results during the second half of last season which saw them fall down the table to skirt with relegation, and felt it was time he went.

More than adequate at League one level, but not PL material.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

QPR
Wigan
Norwich
Cardiff
Fulham
Reading
Blackburn
Bournemouth
Ipswich
Watford
Middlesborough
Wolves

That looks like a very competitive list of contenders. I agree that money will be even more of a factor and those benefitting from the notorious parachute payments should have a greater advantage over those pegged back by FFP. Mind you there are no guarantees that the players at relegated Prem clubs will actually be up for a fight. I can see Cardiff imploding in the Championship.

Interesting that Forest aren't on peoples radar, and I tend to agree. Despite Psycho being in charge I think they will blow it again, there is something odd going on behind the scenes at that Club.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Think Wolves could do a double promotion. Got momentum and the fans are back on their side.
Maybe. Although their fans are pretty quick to get on their backs when things aren't going their way. They love a good old moan up in the midlands.

:)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
That looks like a very competitive list of contenders. I agree that money will be even more of a factor and those benefitting from the notorious parachute payments should have a greater advantage over those pegged back by FFP. Mind you there are no guarantees that the players at relegated Prem clubs will actually be up for a fight. I can see Cardiff imploding in the Championship.

Interesting that Forest aren't on peoples radar, and I tend to agree. Despite Psycho being in charge I think they will blow it again, there is something odd going on behind the scenes at that Club.

In theory Forest and QPR should have some serious explaining to do and a hefty FFP cheque to write.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can't see Wolves being a threat. They'll be battling against relegation for me. Bolton will improve, Sheff Wed are due a promotion push, Huddersfield will spend again and Blackburn are finishing like an express train.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Assuming we are still in the Championship who do you see as the main promotion rivals?

The bottom three in the premiership all seem on a downward spiral, with unproven managers, and I'm not too worried about any of them.

Forest have Pearce so won't be a threat until he is sacked around Christmas time.

Whoever doesn't make it through the playoffs will obviously be up there but FFP will begin to bite.

I think it will be an easier championship next year.

As I think Championship football is still for us next season, it's nice to see 3 southern teams available for great away days

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fulham with Magath as manager
Norwich assuming they keep a lot of their current squad.

Middlesboro, as others have said could be dark horses as could Watford.

Don't fancy any of the promoted teams to come through and threaten.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
You've missed their best player this season: Redmond has been fantastic whenever I've seen him.

Knew there was another one, but his name wouldn't come to me and I couldn't be bothered searching.

Good point though, in fact i'd argue they'd have the best strike force, the best midfield, one of the best back fours, and a keeper who may well be in this summers England squad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Norwich.

They've hand picked the best Championship players over the past few years in Hooper, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Bennett, Becchio, Howson, Johnson etc, and then have the likes of John Ruddy and Leroy Fer who they've added.

Point of order. Bennett never played in the championship.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
There will always be one team that no expects to be up there. Burnley, Palace and Southampton have all done it in the past few season when no one really favoured them. I think next season May see Bolton kick on and try and get back to the Prem.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Norwich.

They've hand picked the best Championship players over the past few years in Hooper, Snodgrass, Pilkington, Bennett, Becchio, Howson, Johnson etc, and then have the likes of John Ruddy and Leroy Fer who they've added.

Good shout! Championship dream team...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports