Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do Celtic fans think they are ?

Stumpy Tim

I'm not debating the "big club" thing, because of course Celtic are a bigger club.

There's a bit more to it than that though, unfortunately for the Celtic fans.

At Celtic there can be very little professional challenge. Rodgers will now gets to set himself up against some of the best managers and players in the world. Regardless of how many triples he racked up North of the border, it can't be a particularly satisfying experience after a while.

True. It must get a little dull. Having said that, he would have gone down as a legend for the Triple Triple, and he had a relatively easy life. Given that, or a couple of years in charge of a mid-table Leicester, I would have stayed at Celtic

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019

Seriously, do you honestly think the EPL chairmen, especially those outside the Top 6, were more worried about a couple of games where it might kick off than losing a chunk of money and having effectively two less places up for grabs in the EPL between them?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think your post is symptomatic of the arrogance, and let's face it, cosy English superiority complex that pervades a fair few football fans this side of the border. The inconvenient truth many ignore is that if Celtic and Rangers played in England, with the revenue they would generate, even before they kicked a ball in anger, they would be right up there with the best in the EPL. They are massive clubs. Leicester, like us, are medium-sized clubs that without the money of our chairmen would be Championship at best. There's a reason why the EPL chairmen voted against the two Scottish giants coming down to the EPL once they thought about it properly - they realised how it would reduce their share of the money pot.
Irrelevant really as they don't play in the EPL and it not really arrogance as a lot of English fans despise the EPL and everything it has become - rightly or wrongly the biggest league as lauded by the media and experts.
I agree he has dump Celtic but I also understand the argument of wanting to test himself again in the EPL with a team not guaranteed to even finish top 4.

For what it's worth I think he will fail.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nearly every country inc England had turned into a Scotland now. It’s the single most depressing thing about football. Aspiration and Hope have been killed by mega Billionnaires. It’s why I care little about us getting relegated. We exorcised the 34 year ghost, I can die happy now. Just hope it’s not from boredom the way our footballs gone ;)

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The difference between the Scottish league and our league, is Scotland have 2 teams guaranteed the top 2 places, we have 6 teams guaranteed the top 6 places. all the rest of the teams in both leagues are miles away in terms of competition and money.

Both boring as hell.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Irrelevant really as they don't play in the EPL and it not really arrogance as a lot of English fans despise the EPL and everything it has become - rightly or wrongly the biggest league as lauded by the media and experts.
I agree he has dump Celtic but I also understand the argument of wanting to test himself again in the EPL with a team not guaranteed to even finish top 4.

For what it's worth I think he will fail.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The post I was replying to was arrogant in my opinion, and it's an arrogant attitude I hear a lot when people talk about Celtic and Rangers, thinking they'd be playing in the Championship if they were down here, utter nonsense. The EPL has only become what it has because of the obscene amounts of money it has generated, much of it dubiously and some of it illegally. Yet you get posters like the OP referring to Celtic supporters, who have a good reason to feel aggrieved, as 'Scotch goons'. Really?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have so little interest in Scottish football that it irritates the hell out of me that their results even come up on the BBC

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mediocre is dominating the domestics and struggling to get to the Champions League group stages, or very far in the Europa league

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was working in Edinburgh a few years ago and talk got around to football; the general consensus was that "Scottish football is pish" and they all watch the PL.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Same for most clubs frankly. We all have blinkers on when it comes to the club we support.

Is absolutely correct. I'm sure if hypothetically Celtic decide they want Steve Clarke to be their next manager Celtic fans would be fine with them going to pinch him because they are higher up the football food chain. Obviously Celtic are a bigger side than Leicester but obviously Rodgers thought Leicester are higher up that same food chain simply because of the division they play in. Can see both sides of the argument to be honest. I'm sure he's got a whacking payrise though.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I think your post is symptomatic of the arrogance, and let's face it, cosy English superiority complex that pervades a fair few football fans this side of the border. The inconvenient truth many ignore is that if Celtic and Rangers played in England, with the revenue they would generate, even before they kicked a ball in anger, they would be right up there with the best in the EPL. They are massive clubs. Leicester, like us, are medium-sized clubs that without the money of our chairmen would be Championship at best. There's a reason why the EPL chairmen voted against the two Scottish giants coming down to the EPL once they thought about it properly - they realised how it would reduce their share of the money pot.

Fortunatelyl neither ever play in the English League so we won't have to put up with their bigotry and sectarianism (that applies to both teams)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If I was Rogers, I'd have stayed for this season, completed the easiest triple treble that will ever be available, gone down in Celtic folklore for it, and THEN moved south to where the money is. Not really sure why he jumped so early, as jobs at mid-sized clubs Premier league clubs like Leicester pop up at regular intervals.

That said, the English get stick for our attitude towards Scotland's crap MTL, but Celtic fans' sense of entitlement here has been absolutely absurd.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If I was Rogers, I'd have stayed for this season, completed the easiest triple treble that will ever be available, gone down in Celtic folklore for it, and THEN moved south to where the money is. Not really sure why he jumped so early, as jobs at mid-sized clubs Premier league clubs like Leicester pop up at regular intervals.

That said, the English get stick for our attitude towards Scotland's crap MTL, but Celtic fans' sense of entitlement here has been absolutely absurd.

It wouldn’t have made a bit of difference to the Celtic fans’ reaction.

Only the numbers would change. Could have made it the quadruple-treble. Could have won 10 in a row. Could have blah blah blah.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've had this argument with a Celtic fan years ago - unwisely after a fair few beers in the small hours. They just won't have it. They won't have it that their league is the very essence of mediocrity, and that thereby winning it takes much of the gloss off the achievement. Everyone else in the world can see it, but they can't.

I accept that Celtic ARE a huge club, if you don't know that already you do if you attend a match there and see the dozens, even hundreds of coaches etc. They are huge on history, the culture in a huge city, reach across the world, and attendances (although there are often thousands of empty seats for the cannon fodder matches).

But on income, salaries, quality of players to work with, and quality of opposition player and manager in the league, Leicester are in a different stratosphere. The only way Celtic could challenge that is by playing in the Premier League, and I think we all know by now that will never happen.

The truth of it is they were very, very lucky to have Rodgers when they did because of his own career situation, and to have had him as long and won as much with him as they have.

I although think that, despite the fact we should have won there on Tuesday, Leicester have a lot of very exciting young players at the moment and if he gets his £200million as is rumoured that could be a great place to be.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
p0724kqw.jpg

My neighbours dog could win the league with that lot, and he's been deaf since 2013.

Sorry fella your neighbours dog was in fact interviewed but lost out to Rodgers as he (the dog) was barking up the wrong tree after feeling a but rough (ruff) from the beers the night before.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Unless you win the top division with a club like aberdeen, no one's going to remember managerial achievements in Scotland even if it's a treble treble treble treble (whatever that is).
Going down in folklore for Celtic when there was no healthy competition from Rangers is hardly something to stick around for. Who even knew BR was close to achieving this treble treble thing until they read this thread?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Well Rod Stewart was so upset he cried

He could tell by their eyes that they'd probably been cryin' forever
And the stars in the sky don't mean nothin' to them, they're a mirror
He don't want to talk about it, how he broke their hearts

He won't stay here just a little bit longer
He won't stay here to listen to their heart, whoa, heart?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here