Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who coaches our strikers?

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4
Do we have a striker coach? With Gus, Tanno, Charlie and Tony Gooden I'd say we have a set of excellent coaches for our level, but is the lack of a striker amongst them costing us goals? How fantastic it would be to have Nicky Forster there passing on his tips and tricks to our current set of forwards, although that ship has sailed do you think Gus will look at bringing someone in? I think it's no coincidence that we don't have a designated strikers coach and that our forwards are struggling for goals, although their all round play is improving.

The amount of pens we've missed this season is shocking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The amount of sitters we've missed is awful too. How good are we to be able to spurn penalties and sitters and still be top of the table ?

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4
Don't agree that you can't coach that. Our forwards get into the right positions to score, which is the hard part, but then making the right decision can be taught. Why do you think Spurs employ Les Ferdinand, for example? To share his wealth of experience in tucking away your chances. Surely you admit that as we have no forward coach, and our strikers are missing sitters and pens REGULARLY there seems to be an indication that maybe it's something we should look at...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wouldn't fancy Forster at all, he's too young, and I'm not sure the likes of Murray would be that chuffed at being taught how to score by someone who was their team mate last season (and who left because he was deemed not good enough to get in the team regularly). He can't get a place in Brentford's team, which rather suggests Poyet made the right decision, regardless of our lack of potency in recent weeks.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Murray critics: :salute: :dance:

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4
Edna, I'm not suggesting Nicky F although I do think someone like Barnes could learn a lot from him (I agree with you about Muzza). Hence the that ship has sailed comment. At the end of theday though (apologies) we have a goalkeeper, a defender and two midfielders coaching our strikers and I think it is something that needs to be addressed. Were playing brilliantly, but if we were burying a decent amount of chances we would be about 10-12 points clear right now...

SE4 GULL

Oct 8, 2010
Brockley LONDON SE4
PS the NF statement was not about missing him, I think Gus made absoloutely the right decision, my point is though that pretty much any retired and experinced striker could really benefit our forwards.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Wouldn't fancy Forster at all, he's too young, and I'm not sure the likes of Murray would be that chuffed at being taught how to score by someone who was their team mate last season (and who left because he was deemed not good enough to get in the team regularly). He can't get a place in Brentford's team, which rather suggests Poyet made the right decision, regardless of our lack of potency in recent weeks.

Forster isn't getting into the Brentford team because of his age surely? It'll have nothing to do with his ability in front of the goal-you don't lose that ability but that's no good without pace.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Teddy Sheringham would make an EXCELLENT Striker Coach

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here