Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Who burnt down the West pier?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My son has just asked me that question.and I haven't got a clue. We are currently sat down in one of the rip off beach bars the locals never go to which has prompted the question.

I HAVE been able to tell him about the red arrows crashing though. He thinks I'm lying.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My son has just asked me that question.and I haven't got a clue. We are currently sat down in one of the rip off beach bars the locals never go to which has prompted the question.

I HAVE been able to tell him about the red arrows crashing though. He thinks I'm lying.

Click on the site and it tells you what happened and you can buy the print!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

*edited out any reference to the name*

Last edited:

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

You're not lying, just wrong. I watched the Red Arrow narrowly skip over the Palace Pier and hit the sea. Nowhere near the West Pier.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There seems to be quite a bit of history of things in Brighton and Hove burning down when planning permission isn't granted to build something else on the site. Doubt that applies in this case so possibly an insurance job?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The Red Arrows as I remember it one clipped the tip of one of the yachts anchored right in the way of the display and had nothing to do with the fire on the West Pier which has been derelict for many years despite numerous attempts to raise the funds to rebuild, I seem to remember Chris Eubanks possibly owning it at one point, I do not recall anyone ever being found responsible for the fires there were two the first badly damaged it the second destroyed it

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I appreciate I'm confusing 2 separate instances in the initial post which happened years apart. Love the Red Arrows picture, loads of memories from that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1692204162374.png

How I remember it:

1692204370145.png

On 28 March 2003, the pavilion at the pierhead caught fire. Fire crews were unable to save the building from destruction because the collapsed walkway prevented them from reaching it. As fire investigators were unable to access the site for safety reasons,[20] the cause of the fire remains unknown, although it is thought to have been arson.[21][22] A more severe fire, also thought to have been intentional, burned through 11 and 12 May 2003, consuming most of what was left of the concert hall.[16][23] On 23 June 2004, high winds caused the middle of the pier to collapse completely. The following month, English Heritage declared the pier beyond repair.[16][24]

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
View attachment 165073

How I remember it:

View attachment 165075

On 28 March 2003, the pavilion at the pierhead caught fire. Fire crews were unable to save the building from destruction because the collapsed walkway prevented them from reaching it. As fire investigators were unable to access the site for safety reasons,[20] the cause of the fire remains unknown, although it is thought to have been arson.[21][22] A more severe fire, also thought to have been intentional, burned through 11 and 12 May 2003, consuming most of what was left of the concert hall.[16][23] On 23 June 2004, high winds caused the middle of the pier to collapse completely. The following month, English Heritage declared the pier beyond repair.[16][24]
We need a west pier photo thread. We must all have some. Great for editing

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's a video!

'Plane crash in Brighton. No issues, shame they were one short at the Biggin Hill display. By the way, a couple of bombs in London. Quiet day. Now the weather'

I saw that display from the Race Hill, I think. Don't remember the crash though.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
View attachment 165073

How I remember it:

View attachment 165075

The first photo is brilliant.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I thought the re arrow clipped a mast on the east side of the palace pier and went down there.
The pier itself was such a waste- great memories of living over the road from it in the winter of 62/63 when is was covered with ice. Sat on the beach with the missus in 2003 watching the rest of it burn. So sad.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The West pier should have been rebuilt in the style of the new Hastings pier. It would have been brilliant for hosting live events. Instead we have ended up with the hideous Eye thingy that looks like a power station chimney. You can get a better view of the city from the Race Hill.
We could try and bend the I360 over(Oh matron!) to make it appear like some sort of futuristic pier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here