Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] who are your Albion cult heroes?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was short though! To be fair, I thought it was a decent guess given what Gwylan gave us to work with!

We did have a lad on loan from Man City called Scott Thomas, but I don't think he had a beard.

Martin Thomas joined us from Swansea, but that was on a short-term contract (not a loan).

And the less said about short arse Mickey Thomas the better

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
No, that was some guy we had on loan for a few games. Short, bearded fella, can't remember his name ... something Thomas?

I remember the game. It was defo either Martin Thomas or Martin Ling that did the suicidal head tackle.
[MENTION=3665]ryans father[/MENTION] will probably recall

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Mark Gall, for some reason I thought he was going to be a superstar

/QUOTE]

He was frigging excellent, Gall. His hair seemed joyously unkempt, and a tooth was chipped with pure abandon. Wasn't he about 30 when he signed for us though, so therefore closer to his last legs than a star in the making? Wasn't he a cursed character too, by playing for clubs that went bankrupt?
Whatever, he was great, his legs a-dance and the ball soon to be pummeled towards.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Can't help thinking many peoples definition of cult hero is a little skewed. Therefore should not include tile likes of Zamora or Ward.

For me it would be Johnny Crumplin ' football genius' where the monicker morphed from irony to genuine appreciation of his efforts. The unofficial T-shirt lurks somewhere at home. Utter gash and then marked Barnes out of the FA cup game at Anfield and not forgetting the boxing day 30 yard screamer against Burnley?

I seem to remember FG almost capped his jaw-dropping display at Anfield with a winner when he volleyed just over the bar at the Anfield Road end. One of my favourite ever Albion games.

Crumplin just edges it over Peter Smith for me as he was dreadful to start off with and then won the crowd over, whereas Smith went downhill after he was named PotS in his debut season.

Stuart Munday is worth a shout too. Didn't he score a screamer at Leicester, but spent most of his time shanking the ball into touch?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Gerry Fell. Not exactly renowned for his silky dribbling skills, he just used to boot the ball about ten yards ahead of him past his marker and run after it. He was very fast in an ungainly way. What he did was very basic but strangely effective. I used to love watching Gerry Fell.

Sammy Morgan was also a bit of a cult hero helped by the fact that he had the sort of face only his mother could love. He was also one of our few internationals of the time along with Peter O"Sullivan.

smith’s dreads

Mar 29, 2019
Peter ‘bob’ Smith
Robbie Pethick football genius
Charlie Oatway
Nathan Jones (haircut, goal v Forest away)
Paddy McCourt FLAIR
Graham Barrett FLAIR on loan
Kishishev

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Clearly many people don’t understand the meaning of cult.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Glad someone mentioned Davy Clarkson who is exactly my definition of cult hero. I was going to add Paul Clark but he is a legend so won't do. The other one I might suggest is Matty Edwards.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
Mark Gall, for some reason I thought he was going to be a superstar

/QUOTE]

He was frigging excellent, Gall. His hair seemed joyously unkempt, and a tooth was chipped with pure abandon. Wasn't he about 30 when he signed for us though, so therefore closer to his last legs than a star in the making? Wasn't he a cursed character too, by playing for clubs that went bankrupt?
Whatever, he was great, his legs a-dance and the ball soon to be pummeled towards.

Gall was brilliant, and seemed to chip in with match winning goals that season (Newcastle away). Gall also has cult hero status as he was our representative in the 100m sprint on Saint & Greavsie. I don't think he got out of the heats, but when the opposition was Ricky Otto, no-one stood a chance really.

I seem to remember Gall going to work in his father's bakery after his injury. There might be something quite cult about kicking stale buns against a chalk-marked goalpost in his break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here