Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who Are The Biggest One-Team City In The World?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
need some parameters in this thread. How far down are we going exactly, as surely if you go down far enough then no city is a one club city
I agree, it’s a badly set question and then there’s the mistakes in the thread title.

I actually took on the challenge and was looking at really small cities to see if any had just one team. Vatican has at least two. St Asaph only seems to have one formal club from initial look.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There are at least three that even I know of in Newcastle: united, Blue Star and benfield.
So not a one club city.
Blimey, if you're going to count that far down then I don't think there is a single city in the world that qualifies. Even Brighton has Whitehawk (at least).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bradford city
You take that back! Bradford (Park Avenue) are the TRUE Bradford team, the Manningham lot are a bunch of upstarts. :mad::mad::mad:

As a more-reasoned aside it is strange that Bradford once boasted two league clubs whereas the bigger neighbouring city of Leeds only ever had one (at a time).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You take that back! Bradford (Park Avenue) are the TRUE Bradford team, the Manningham lot are a bunch of upstarts. :mad::mad::mad:

As a more-reasoned aside it is strange that Bradford once boasted two league clubs whereas the bigger neighbouring city of Leeds only ever had one (at a time).
I saw us beat Park Avenue 4-0 once. I think.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The title says 1 team City, not 1 City that has multiple teams in multiple divisions. Surely it's the top 4 divisions in the uk and probably to 2 divisions elsewhere...

Newcastle/ Brighton/ Leeds/ Naples/ I'm not sure elsewhere.
So Napoli for me, didn't they win the league a season or 2 ago as well?

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Blimey, if you're going to count that far down then I don't think there is a single city in the world that qualifies. Even Brighton has Whitehawk (at least).
I mean you have to? Otherwise what line are you drawing to decide that a soccer club is not worthy of being defined as a soccer club? Is it not disrespectful to do that? The line would be arbitrary and could easily just be anything outside the EPL as well.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
I mean you have to? Otherwise what line are you drawing to decide that a soccer club is not worthy of being defined as a soccer club? Is it not disrespectful to do that? The line would be arbitrary and could easily just be anything outside the EPL as well.
Professional club should be the qualifying factor surely?

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
The title says 1 team City, not 1 City that has multiple teams in multiple divisions. Surely it's the top 4 divisions in the uk and probably to 2 divisions elsewhere...

Newcastle/ Brighton/ Leeds/ Naples/ I'm not sure elsewhere.
So Napoli for me, didn't they win the league a season or 2 ago as well?
Leeds has more clubs than Newcastle though: Farsley, Guisely etc.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Professional club should be the qualifying factor surely?
Only if mentioned in the description, which this thread does not mention. Otherwise not.
If changed to "Biggest city with only one professional club" I agree with you. Although Naples falls out then as it has a women's team as well. So I guess you really mean "Biggest city with only one professional male club"?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Most successful, probably Ajax?

Appreciate there are other teams in Amsterdam, but I don't think Ajax have played any of them for some years ?

But who would be considered the biggest,PSG,Napoli and of course Leeds United 😆

Unfortunately Sheffield Wednesday cannot be considered
PSG? Not so sure about that! They were only formed in 1970. There’s 4 other Parisian clubs that were founder members of League 1.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
But you were quoting my post which does say only to 4 divisions. Every single city in the world will have a football team even if it is a pub team.
Exactly. I don't think we are right to be the arbiters of what club is a club and what one isn't. It is extremely disrespectful. Just like the media obsession over the big 6.
Is Liverpool a one club city? Probably by their metrics. We should try and be better than them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here