Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who are the "15 goals a season" strikers?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Goalscorers for teams outside the 'big six' + Leicester City and Everton 19/20

Ings (Southampton) 21
Raúl Jiménez (Wolves) 17
------------------------------------
Chris Wood (Burnley) 14
Teemu Pukki (Norwich City) 11
Michail Antonio (West Ham United) 10
Neal Maupay (ALBION) 10
Troy Deeney (Watford) 10

So two teams had players who managed 15 goals+.

My conclusion would be to get one at an affordable contract fee & wages, unless you are fortunate like Southampton have been with Ings (and Leicester City with Vardy), then money needs to be found that doesn't really exist.
Even then, such a player will be likely be lost. We are among the last to feed at the trough.

This belief that the club are failing somehow is a fallacy. Every club in our half of the table would like one and struggles to obtain.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ings (Southampton) 21
Raúl Jiménez (Wolves) 17
Chris Wood (Burnley) 14
Neal Maupay (ALBION) 10
Troy Deeney (Watford) 10

My conclusion would be to get one at an affordable contract fee & wages, unless you are fortunate like Southampton have been with Ings (and Leicester City with Vardy), then money needs to be found that doesn't really exist.

This belief that the club are failing somehow is a fallacy. Every club in our half of the table would like one and struggles to obtain.

Imagine how many goals Pukki could have scored if he decided to hit the target in 2020. :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just had to double check I'm on the correct forum :lolol:

You old cynic. Go back to the Old Kent Road, do not pass Go and do not collect £200 ???

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Great post. Our expectations are unrealistic. We need to hope Maupay can continue to progress, maybe get 12 next season, and that we can find another striker who could maybe chip in with 6 or so with Connolly and/or Trossard doing something similar.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Imagine how many goals Pukki could have scored if he decided to hit the target in 2020. [emoji38]
What's the stats on his conversion rate then ?

Again think he would be worth a punt if cheap. He's proven in prem in a really bad team.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Ings (Southampton) 21
Raúl Jiménez (Wolves) 17
Chris Wood (Burnley) 14
Neal Maupay (ALBION) 10
Troy Deeney (Watford) 10

Even then, such a player will be likely be lost. We are among the last to feed at the trough.

Depends whether our aspirations are top 10 or not.

If they are we could do with a 14 goal striker, plus the midfield chipping in.

Nothing has changed, all the teams including ourselves struggled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well given I was having a conversation with a gentleman here the other day who genuinely claimed Maupay’s haul of 10 goals in his first PL season “wasn’t good enough”, I’m going to go out on a limb and say some folk have unrealistic expectations.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I would rather we had 6 people who scored 5-10 goals than put all our eggs in one basket and I think this is the thinking of the coaching team but we seem to be struggling on that.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Having 2 strikers that can hit a minimum 10 goals in a season would be good enough - so if Maupay can match or better last season it would be good to have another striker who can do the same. Great if Connolly could do that but we still need to sign another as 2 strikers in the squad is clearly not enough - but I’ve always felt Andone would be capable of this if we can get him fit and wanting to be part of this team.

Of course, another solution to spreading the goals around the team more is actually developing our game so that we actually shoot more from outside the box rather than trying to walk the ball in sometimes. Shots on target from midfield could harvest more goals not just from them but more for Maupay or Connolly with follow ups.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Depends whether our aspirations are top 10 or not.

If they are we could do with a 14 goal striker, plus the midfield chipping in.

Nothing has changed, all the teams including ourselves struggled.

Aspirations and £60m+ price tags are not always good bedfellows.

That's why teams like ourselves should always look to develop within as much as possible. Which is pretty much what seems to be happening.

Ultimately, the club know what they can afford and who is within the bracket, the competitors and the player's suitability. I'm sure they want a 15 goal+ striker too.

The reality is often something different.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
At our level we need to hope he’s in the youth team or current first team squad or get lucky like Southampton and pick up an ings type

Everyone is looking to unearth the next Michu. Southampton took a punt on perma-injured Ings and won, but they don't come around often.

There is another Ings type option out there if we’re willing to take a punt - Danny Welbeck !

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Aspirations and £60m+ price tags are not always good bedfellows.

That's why teams like ourselves should always look to develop within as much as possible. Which is pretty much what seems to be happening.

Ultimately, the club know what they can afford and who is within the bracket, the competitors and the player's suitability. I'm sure they want a 15 goal+ striker too.

The reality is often something different.

I agree, but would not think that striker is £60m.

But it’s no good people being satisfied with 12 when the stats presented show that the top 8/9 teams had a player who scored 14/15 goals.

We create the chances but we lack presence, as we stand we could well be bottom 6 again.

I honestly believe that we wouldn’t have let Murray go without a plan, so am not at bed wetting stage just yet.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I think Danny Ings has always been capable of what he achieved last season, he has been unfortunate with injuries, but also with opportunities at Liverpool, if he stays fit, i wouldn't bet against him having a similar season again.

Another player at Liverpool who i think is very capable of 15+ but again is restricted by the quality in front of him is Divock Origi, no idea if he is on huge wages, but it seems Liverpool have been willing to let him go for ages, i'm always amazed nobody seems willing to take him on, i'd personally be delighted if we did, like i said though, could be down to wages.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

There are some excellent points on this thread. I don’t think we need to try and find a 15 goal a season striker, just another type of striker. We need an alternative to the style of Maupay and Connolly. Someone like Wood (Burnley). Someone good in the air. A target man to hit in the box or someone who can hold the ball up.
We had one in Murray. He was good for at least 10 goals, but he’s obviously dropped off on speed. So we need a younger version of him IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here