Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who are Brighton's biggest rivals?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do we have to have a main rival at all? I can remember doing fine without one before the Palace thing came along in the 70s.

By “doing fine” I assume you mean “not being a proper football club”. Noddy clubs like Bournemouth and Reading can get by without one but we’ve got a proper rival to look forward to games against, thank goodness. Sport needs rivalry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By “doing fine” I assume you mean “not being a proper football club”. Noddy clubs like Bournemouth and Reading can get by without one but we’ve got a proper rival to look forward to games against, thank goodness. Sport needs rivalry
Oh, I think you'll find we were a proper football club for a good many years before the mid 70s. Always have been. JCLs who've never known any different might think differently, I suppose. :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh, I think you'll find we were a proper football club for a good many years before the mid 70s. Always have been. JCLs who've never known any different might think differently, I suppose. :shrug:

Proper football clubs have a rival.

theboybilly

Orient never , always been Palace , sometimes Portsmouth as they are the closest team

It hasn't always been Palace. It's manufactured (and has always felt so to me) The main thing I get from those games is what goes on with the organisation - the complete circumnavigation of the Amex to get away from the ground to the 'Kettling' of away fans and getting dumped at Norwood Junction on the way home. Those 2 games are a ball-ache for me and the football is a sideshow because of it. I could happily do without them. Rivals.... really?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It hasn't always been Palace.
This. It is the truth. But just like the great Russian public that can't believe that they're not doing Ukraine a favour by clearing out the fascists, so it is that some can't accept the fact that for many, many years Palace was just another 3rd. Division South club of no more significance to us than Orient or Reading (Portsmouth of course were well out of our league in those days!)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Types of rivals.

County= Crawley
Geography/Costal= Portsmouth
Geography/Costal+County=Bognor
Geography+County+local=Lewis
Fans with poor hygene=Portsmouth
Fans with average IQ lower than 90=Millwall
Teams that cheat=Chesterfield+ Leeds
Referees that cheat= Ron Chalice
Ron Chalice+ LowIQ fans+ Poor Hygene= Palace.

It's coastal, Lewes, hygiene and Challis. You'll need to make a bit more effort with your spelling if you want to be taken seriously.:facepalm:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Chelsea has become a team I really want Brighton to beat. They have moved up my rivalry scale. Turns out I harbour a resentment towards Newcastle and Chelsea for buying up our management and coaching team.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Chelsea has become a team I really want Brighton to beat. They have moved up my rivalry scale. Turns out I harbour a resentment towards Newcastle and Chelsea for buying up our management and coaching team.

Surely a rivalry requires the other side to have something that bothers them too? Otherwise, you just sound like Scotland and their obsession with the English.

I think Chelsea have just moved up your dislike scale.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Think there are a few people getting a bit up themselves trying to redefine what 'rival' is.

For christ's sake, I started going regularly at the beginning of the 76/77 season and was aware of the rivalry between Palace and Brighton even before the cup tie. Those saying our biggest rival is the team we play next are basically dismissing all of our history.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Surely a rivalry requires the other side to have something that bothers them too? Otherwise, you just sound like Scotland and their obsession with the English.

I think Chelsea have just moved up your dislike scale.

Rivalries can be short lived affairs.

Wycombe v Colchester, Gillingham v Fulham, us and Cheaterfield.

I guarantee you Brighton v Chelsea is a must not lose fixture for a considerable number of playing and coaching staff as well as fans this season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rivalries can be short lived affairs.

Wycombe v Colchester, Gillingham v Fulham, us and Cheaterfield.

I guarantee you Brighton v Chelsea is a must not lose fixture for a considerable number of playing and coaching staff as well as fans this season.

If they're must not lose games, I guess there will be consequences if they do? What would that be?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here