Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whitehawk FC

Are you really having a pop at the club for being in Falmer? 11 years of inquiries proved beyond doubt that Falmer was the only site within Brighton and Hove suitable for a stadium. I know you can't help yourself when picking fault with Brighton but even for you this is a bizarre new low.

What do you get out of this? Honestly, why don't you just walk away from the club if it makes you as bitter as this?

Proper fans don't just walk away???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Struggling to give a fig what they call themselves tbh, they're barely on the radar. If they want to call themselves Brighton City then let them. Its a bit of a shit name, but if they think it makes them sound more "big time" then go for it. Presumably it'd mean they'll have to ditch the hawk on the badge, and come up with a new nickname.

"SHEEP SHEEP SHEEPCOTERS" maybe ? Kinda works.

The FA have already told there cannot be two football clubs with the name of Brighton.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I must admit i like the ground back in the old days,nothing wrong with leaning on a fence with a drop of rain. Its got a bit too comfortable at the amex,i suppose thats why half the crowd seem to be asleep:yawn:

Forget the Albion, we're talking about Whitehawk.

Plenty of wonderful grounds around Sussex you can lean on a fence in the rain to watch football.

Strikes me that you use Whitehawk to shake a stick at the Albion, like your attendance at non league football gives you some insightful kudos into reminding everyone else what football is really like.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
What about New Brighton FC? They would have some history then.

As New Brighton is on the Wirral, Cheshire and were in the League about 75 years ago, complete confusion would reign!!!.

(It might be your joke regarding history?)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If they want to go upmarket, why don't they just change their name to Roedean Rovers or something?

Might get a few of the lawyers, accountants and financiers down to watch...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Or on the flip side, brighthelmstone F.C

Now you're talking. Pre-1810 style names are where it's AT next, hipsters.

I'm changing my username to Smoaker Miles and donning a smock whenever I post.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Forget the Albion, we're talking about Whitehawk.

Plenty of wonderful grounds around Sussex you can lean on a fence in the rain to watch football.

Strikes me that you use Whitehawk to shake a stick at the Albion, like your attendance at non league football gives you some insightful kudos into reminding everyone else what football is really like.

I'm sure he wouldn't do that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which is pretty ridiculous. Does anyone ever get the Manchesters mixed up ? Or the Bristols ? Or the Sheffields ?

Different kettle of fish altogether - all those are historical. Other towns and cities that have one team are often known, or often referred to, by just that name, without the addition of the United, Rovers, City, Albion or whatever. If you say Blackburn or Rotherham or Newcastle or Brighton, people know who you're talking about. To have a second club coming in now with the same name would not be good. East Brighton (if they must change - a pretty sh|t idea anyway IMHO) would be OK,

Hopefully the FA will do the right thing and knock them back again.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Langney Sports changed to Eastbourne Borough as no-one knew were Langney was as they wanted more sponsorship. May be the same with Whitehawk but Eastbourne Town and United were hardly giants to complain.

I feel sorry for you, I genuinely do. I get huge enjoyment still from following Brighton. The day that ever stops, I'm sure as hell not going to hang around here being reminded of something I dislike, constantly trying to piss down on everyone else's parade.

We are all different,thats what makes the world go round,just need to live and let live buzz!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Couldn't care less what they call themselves. I don't support them.
Disrespectful to their fans and their heritage though (although in fairness they perhaps don't have much of either?)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The FA have already told there cannot be two football clubs with the name of Brighton.

Is that really the case? I don't think the real reason was ever made public.

Not sure what the criteria to allow a name change through are, but a football club whose name represents a small part of the city suddenly being allowed to have a name representing the whole city isn't going to cut much ice with the FA these days.

Nor does precedent have much to do with it - e.g. Langney Sports > Eastbourne Borough 15 years ago - although I suspect there was more sympathy for that name change as it was Eastbourne's highest placed team.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is that really the case? I don't think the real reason was ever made public.

Not sure what the criteria to allow a name change through are, but a football club whose name represents a small part of the city suddenly being allowed to have a name representing the whole city isn't going to cut much ice with the FA these days.

Nor does precedent have much to do with it - e.g. Langney Sports > Eastbourne Borough 15 years ago - although I suspect there was more sympathy for that name change as it was Eastbourne's highest placed team.

No doubt BHA will have something to say about this having spent millions on marketing. and may even have said so already that they will object to it.

This is from a Q & A session with Tony Bloom in November.

Q. Whitehawk tried to change their name to incorporate “Brighton”, which Albion
blocked. What’s the club’s feeling about it?
Tony Bloom responded that Albion didn’t “block” it — but we were against it for many
reasons. In fact the proposal had gone before the FA Council and not one person had voted
for it. Many Whitehawk fans actually want to keep the name, while Albion have made a
huge investment in the “Brighton & Hove Albion” name. He understands why the owners
of the club want to do it, but added that it’s the FA’s decision, not Albion’s.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This is from a Q & A session with Tony Bloom in November.

Q. Whitehawk tried to change their name to incorporate “Brighton”, which Albion
blocked. What’s the club’s feeling about it?
Tony Bloom responded that Albion didn’t “block” it — but we were against it for many
reasons. In fact the proposal had gone before the FA Council and not one person had voted
for it. Many Whitehawk fans actually want to keep the name, while Albion have made a
huge investment in the “Brighton & Hove Albion” name. He understands why the owners
of the club want to do it, but added that it’s the FA’s decision, not Albion’s.

I was there for that Q&A - and, yes, that's the gist of what Tony said.

But the FA decision hasn't been made public, and we don't know that the Albion's objection was the over-riding consideration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here