Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whitehawk FC - anti name change petition

Smoky McPot

May 12, 2009
Surely all teams in the Brighton and Hove area (i.e Saltdean FC) who play in the lower leagues could apply to use the name 'Brighton City FC'?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Its Whitehawk,like Accrington Stanley,Preston North End,Sheffield Wednesday,Plymouth Argyle,Queen of the South,Northwich Victoria. These names are priceless IMHO,history,tradition what a name in Third Lanark.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Should be up to whitehawk and fans to decide and not for the bullies north west of the city to get involved in???

Any Albion fan should dictate what happens to these minor clubs - it's only fair as the big club of the county. It should be up to BHA fans and club officials only - nobody else :moo:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Without wanting to offend anyone, I think it is quite evident that the Whitehawk thing will end in tears at some point.

Brighton can't support two professional football clubs, which is why it has only ever had one. I have never quite understood what the owners are up to and why, but it is quite clear that the whole thing is fully dependent on their cash input. They can change the name to Brighton City, move the team to somewhere else in the town (Withdean was mooted before), and then when they inevitably pull the plug and it goes tits up, there is no longer a Whitehawk FC playing in Whitehawk. I've seen it happen in Wales to several clubs.

I will sign the petition not as a Whitehawk fan or because I believe they pose a threat to the Albion, but because it is for the best for them and other lower league clubs who run the risk of becoming temporary playthings.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Without wanting to offend anyone, I think it is quite evident that the Whitehawk thing will end in tears at some point.

Brighton can't support two professional football clubs, which is why it has only ever had one. I have never quite understood what the owners are up to and why, but it is quite clear that the whole thing is fully dependent on their cash input. They can change the name to Brighton City, move the team to somewhere else in the town (Withdean was mooted before), and then when they inevitably pull the plug and it goes tits up, there is no longer a Whitehawk FC playing in Whitehawk. I've seen it happen in Wales to several clubs.

I will sign the petition not as a Whitehawk fan or because I believe they pose a threat to the Albion, but because it is for the best for them and other lower league clubs who run the risk of becoming temporary playthings.

All good points. Temporary things like Rushden and Diamonds.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Port Vale have done reasonably well despite there being no clue as to the town or city where they play in their name. Ditto Albion Rovers, Arsenal, Espanyol, Everton, Forest Green Rovers, Raith Rovers, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Juventus and Real Sociedad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Port Vale have done reasonably well despite there being no clue as to the town or city where they play in their name. Ditto Albion Rovers, Arsenal, Espanyol, Everton, Forest Green Rovers, Raith Rovers, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Juventus and Real Sociedad.

Fair point - although linking Albion Rovers in the same bracket as Arsenal and Juventus is straining the imagination a bit!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Small club with a modicum of success, for which I applaud them. They should respect the Clubs history and all those who have played for or supported it for decades.....they are Whitehawk FC.

Someone is suffering from delusions of grandeur. :shrug:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
My mother-in-law, who still lives in Whitehawk, is furious.

She feels that the owners are in some way ashamed of the club's roots, and that they are almost embarrassed of the area they play in.

If the locals, and the fans are against it, then why do this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here