(White) Welsh rugby player Liam Williams goes to fancy dress party as...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
When you put it that way it sounds just like black skin itself is offensive.

If those offended really cared about diversity and celebrating other peoples differences they would encourage people to appear as people they admire regardless of skin colour or culture.

To most racists, the skin colour is everything.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

To you too I think. I think you're as equally entrenched and obsessed and as always come to these discussions with a fixed view. In my mind the only opinion that matters in this is the bloke in question who the rugby player went as. He took no offence. End of matter you'd think but some people love to be offended on behalf of other people.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

The stupidity comes from both sides. Below is a perfect example of the morons on the offended side. A father and son dress up as two of their favourite players for their team.Trying to recreate a photo shot they like. In no way did they do what they did from a racist point of view, it was from a point of view of admiration for Karl Malone. A player they love, not hate.

Perhaps the old saying immitation is the greatest form of flattery needs to be pointed out to the easily offended to remind them immitaton can have positive effects.

View attachment 61087

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
To you too I think. I think you're as equally entrenched and obsessed and as always come to these discussions with a fixed view. In my mind the only opinion that matters in this is the bloke in question who the rugby player went as. He took no offence. End of matter you'd think but some people love to be offended on behalf of other people.

Exactly, iv'e stated this a number of times on this thread. Some just use it as an excuse to get the racist comments out, and let's go back decades to slavery when our grandfathers and great grandfathers were young. Times have moved on, A Change Is Gonna come, as the great Sam Cooke sang in the 60's, and it has, and will continue. Reminds me of the Germans iv'e met, still apologising for the war even though they were not even born.
A fancy dress party, a sportsman from Swansea goes as a lookalike of arguably Swansea's best player, said player has no problem with it.....

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Kinda funny seeing a poster with the name Soulman in the thread given that was a whole film about a guy trying to pass himself off as a black guy :D

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Of course it's different because when a man dresses up as a woman he, the man is the butt of the joke not women, whereas with blackface black people are the butt of the joke and not the White man underneath the make up. You can call those who realise that you can't just erase history to suit your needs bedwetters all you like and in return I could call you an ignorant biggot with no respect for history but that would get us nowhere. I'm tired of repeating myself on this matter.

Interesting insight into your perspective here isn’t it.

What about transgender people, are they they butt of your jokes? There are many reasons why men will dress as women, and they are not all for your own personal amusement.

I suspect you would usually like to think of yourself as a tolerant progressive type but here you are with all your vile transgender phobic knuckle dragging UKIP bigotry spilling out into a thread about people’s perception of bigotry

I think this is all the evidence we need to conclude that you are incapable of separating out bigotry from an innocent well intentioned gesture.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Interesting insight into your perspective here isn’t it.

What about transgender people, are they they butt of your jokes? There are many reasons why men will dress as women, and they are not all for your own personal amusement.

I suspect you would usually like to think of yourself as a tolerant progressive type but here you are with all your vile transgender phobic knuckle dragging UKIP bigotry spilling out into a thread about people’s perception of bigotry

I think this is all the evidence we need to conclude that you are incapable of separating out bigotry from an innocent well intentioned gesture.

I'm not even going to ask where you've got that I'm in anyway transgender phobic but I expect nothing less from you Fergus. You've taken what I've said out of context. You are well aware we were discussing cross dressing as a form of entertainment (e.g. Drag) but if that's how you need to assert yourself in a debate that says more about you than it does me. I've given you solid evidence as to why some people may get offended by the subject in question. But my all means ignore it and tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Not really, ive not really commented on this thread for the simple reason its the same old same old bunch of white people, with rightwing views bleating the same crap about racism. If there were a few black peoples perspective on the annual 'debate' it might be more relevant but otherwise, not really.
Personally, im not offended by this incident. If someobody wants to do it, do it. How they will be seen on doing it will vary.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What gets me in these cases is how thick the people involved are not to realise that blacking up is going to cause a bit of trouble. Regardless of what you think of the practice surely a profeesional sportsperson has to have had some media training in things to avoid and would think hang on its not the 1970's anymore the press are going to pick up on this and i could end up in hot water.

Indeed. If there is an idiotic thoughtless orthodoxy then it's best to comply.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
So the film WHITE CHICKS should be banned from ever being shown on TV again
Two black male actors dressed as two White teenage girls, hilarious film don't think anyone thought anything wrong with that

Only if soul man is banned (the movie, not the poster on here)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Having read extensively about the Roman Empire and their treatment of " slaves", to be honest anyone dressing up in a Roman costume is rather insensitive to all the possibly millions of people the Romans enslaved and killed for not that far off four hundred years.

When sulla defeated the caliphate in Asia, he brought back thousands of slaves. He sold the women off to other Romans, had the majority of the children killed and took the men to the various amphitheatres around Rome and they were put to death in various horrible ways.

For a so called civilised society, they were right murdering bloodthirsty barstewards.

So be careful wearing a Roman costume. So there

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the old reverse racism point, personally i think this fella sums it up quite nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw_mRaIHb-M

Europe has never colonised the world. he mentions China which is laughable. Perhaps he is viewing it from a western viewpoint forced on him but it's a western viewpoint nonetheless. hardly a global view more a regional one that is not entirely fair. I getting the points and understand how we cannot claim equivalence but it's still a regional issue, not global.

This is not bang on, but rather still quite parochial. Europeans and their descendants have dominated large parts of the world economically for the last few centuries but it's hardly a clean sweep. You should know that living in a country borne of british expansionism that now deals significantly with Asia.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Should black people whose families never had an association with slavery be offended that all blacks are instantly associated with slavery?

In London amongst the west Africans its a common jibe against people of West Indian descent that they were slaves. Not a white person in sight in that particular little bit of friction.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
These two black fellas made an entire film dressed up like this:

image.jpg

Were white folk screaming the racist card when 'White Chicks' came out?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports