Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(White) Welsh rugby player Liam Williams goes to fancy dress party as...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What gets me in these cases is how thick the people involved are not to realise that blacking up is going to cause a bit of trouble. Regardless of what you think of the practice surely a profeesional sportsperson has to have had some media training in things to avoid and would think hang on its not the 1970's anymore the press are going to pick up on this and i could end up in hot water.

no, it isnt the 1970's and one would hope by now we'd all moved on from automatic implied offense and recognise where something like this is and isnt offensive. tbh, i've never really understood the reason for offence back then (i understand that it did offend, not why). i gather in the US there was inherently offensive content played out by the minstrals, but the 1960/70's UK version was a daft gimmick for a music show (any one of the era can correct this, was it offensive past the blacking up?)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Even if it were 'bigger than Bony' he and the character of Williams set the tone for the debate (if there really must be one).

If one is laughing it off and the other has nothing in his past to suggest this is anything other than a joke, surely that's the end of it.

You would think so. Unfortunately the plums of UAF and Hope Not Hate have been offended, maybe a few of them look like Bony, think they play for Swansea, and were offended for Bony.....who clearly was not offended.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Was gonna go out as Captain Hook new yrs eve - think I may need to rethink it...

Also I saw someone once dress up as Kate Middleton whilst she was preggers - cushion up the shirt the lot. I'm slightly fat so took massive offence...

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
So if a black man dresses as a white man, including make up, is he a racist?

Remind me, when was white face a form of entertainment enjoyed by black people to belittle and make fun of white folk? It baffles me that people can't see the difference.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You would think so. Unfortunately the plums of UAF and Hope Not Hate have been offended, maybe a few of them look like Bony, think they play for Swansea, and were offended for Bony.....who clearly was not offended.

This is also another example of people seeing something on the Internet and forgetting their sense of humour. If I were at a fancy dress party and that fella walked in Id shake his hand for a top top effort and buy him a drink. I think he should be commended on that costume. In fact they've all done fairly well there. I expect most of NSC would also appreciate it if they were out and saw this fella as they know their football...!?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
So the film WHITE CHICKS should be banned from ever being shown on TV again
Two black male actors dressed as two White teenage girls, hilarious film don't think anyone thought anything wrong with that

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Also it should be noted that it's much easier for a white person to make themselves black and for it to look good then it is for a black person to make themselve White and for it to look good (by good I mean realistic). Which is prob why it come up more in examples like this. But don't let that stop a few getting those racism cards out - any excuse eh. And I hate racism from the bottom of my heart fwiw...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Remind me, when was white face a form of entertainment enjoyed by black people to belittle and make fun of white folk? It baffles me that people can't see the difference.

Pretending to be a black person has an unfortunate history, but should it be consigned to the dustbin? We've moved on from then and if anything, this sort of reaction does more harm than good.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

White Chicks is a 2004 American buddy cop comedy film written, produced and directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans, and also written and produced by Wayans brothers Shawn and Marlon Wayans, who also both starred in the lead roles. The film was released in the United States on June 23, 2004. The film was produced by Revolution Studios and distributed by Columbia Pictures. The plot revolves around whiteface drag, as two African American FBI agents disguise themselves as two Caucasian women.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
White Chicks is a 2004 American buddy cop comedy film written, produced and directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans, and also written and produced by Wayans brothers Shawn and Marlon Wayans, who also both starred in the lead roles. The film was released in the United States on June 23, 2004. The film was produced by Revolution Studios and distributed by Columbia Pictures. The plot revolves around whiteface drag, as two African American FBI agents disguise themselves as two Caucasian women.

Yes because White Chicks is a fair comparison to make when talking about minstrel shows/ black face. :facepalm:

One bad film doesn't suddenly erase the history of the minstel shows and how grossly offensive they were.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Pretending to be a black person has an unfortunate history, but should it be consigned to the dustbin? We've moved on from then and if anything, this sort of reaction does more harm than good.

Yes it probably should be consigned to the dustbin but something born out of racial prejudice isn't something that is so easily forgotten.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Yes because White Chicks is a fair comparison to make when talking about minstrel shows/ black face. :facepalm:

One bad film doesn't suddenly erase the history of the minstel shows and how grossly offensive they were.

The black and white minstrels finished years before White Chicks, so if you are going down that road then White Chicks should not have been made as the Minstrels was deemed offensive. Did anyone complain about White Chicks.....no, because it was quite a funny film.
Bony was not offended, just plums that love to be offended for people they feel SHOULD be offended.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
What gets me in these cases is how thick the people involved are not to realise that blacking up is going to cause a bit of trouble. Regardless of what you think of the practice surely a profeesional sportsperson has to have had some media training in things to avoid and would think hang on its not the 1970's anymore the press are going to pick up on this and i could end up in hot water.

Perhaps he can think for himself and realises its a harmless bit of fun , whatever the professional race police say, or he has the courage of his convictions and will ignore brainwashed bellends like you and your pavlovian reactions .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you asked: "when was white face a form of entertainment enjoyed by black people to belittle and make fun of white folk?" why dont you like the answer just because it doesnt suit your argument?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The black and white minstrels finished years before White Chicks, so if you are going down that road then White Chicks should not have been made as the Minstrels was deemed offensive. Did anyone complain about White Chicks.....no, because it was quite a funny film.
Bony was not offended, just plums that love to be offended for people they feel SHOULD be offended.

White Chicks was awful. But that's not the point. The point is your compassion is so far wide of the mark it's like a shot from Billy Paynter.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
you asked: "when was white face a form of entertainment enjoyed by black people to belittle and make fun of white folk?" why dont you like the answer just because it doesnt suit your argument?

I don't like the answer because it's not even vaguely similar. White Chicks vs. a form of "entertainment" steeped in centuries of racial prejudice. Hardly the same is it.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I'd imagine a lot of things baffle you judging by that response.

Yes they do. Unfortunately the world is full of truly ignorant people who have no ability to empathise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here