Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"White Lives Matter Burnley" banner flown over the Etihad

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You’re missing the wider point.

Hundreds of unarmed black men are being killed or seriously hurt by police in the US every year - police are consciously or unconsciously treating them overly harshly - assuming the worst - possibly in cases taking a cheap shot, knowing or expecting there to be no disciplinary comeback.

Each one of those incidents isn’t necessarily consciously racist - but the difference in reaction / treatment to interactions with black men, mean that a bad ending is inherently more likely.

Anyone who still thinks the BLM protests are just about what happened to George Floyd, is not listening.
Not at all missing the point - I get it. But for an incident to be the protagonist for the protests and movement that has no evidence of racism just bemuses me. There’s loads of articles in the National press about the racist murder of GF’ - and that simply isn’t confirmed. I fully support the movement and protests (except the morons on both ‘sides’ ignoring the pandemic rules), I just find it weird that many have just assumed it is racist. My first thought other than sadness and shock was how there are still police officers who use their role to bully people - police brutality. The colour of the guys skin didn’t come into it. I guess I wasn’t searching for racism like some may have. As I say, that Netflix doc ‘now they see us’ I think it’s called literally had me welling up for the poor lads and that was almost certainly racially motivated given the evidence. I just find the incident that started this movement good and propper a bit odd as like to deal I’m facts. It’s been a great way to hammer home to anyone unsure that racism is unacceptable etc. Although things like banning uncle Ben from appearing on a packet of rice or banning a rugby song sang in support of a team are going way too far for me. Nobody has had a pop at the milky bar kid yet - he’s next.

Last edited:

Utterly deplorable. Not funny in the slightest, people can say, 'well white and black lives matter' they do, but they are just completely missing the point of this BLM movement. This banner is just yet more proof of how much work needs to be done. Disgusting.

Fair play to the Burnley players after the game, they strongly condemned it and I think they were extremely embarrassed by it.

It's scary, looking at social media, at the amount of people who thought this was funny and acceptable. It doesn't help that there are fake news articles circling the web linking the BLM movement with extremist terrorist groups. Those groups are using this movement to create more division, but BLM are absolutely nothing to do with them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not at all missing the point - I get it. But for an incident to be the protagonist for the protests and movement that has no evidence of racism just bemuses me. There’s loads of articles in the National press about the racist murder of GF’ - and that simply isn’t confirmed. I fully support the movement and protests (except the morons on both ‘sides’ ignoring the pandemic rules), I just find it weird that many have just assumed it is racist. My first thought other than sadness and shock was how there are still police officers who use their role to bully people - police brutality. The colour of the guys skin didn’t come into it. I guess I wasn’t searching for racism like some may have. As I say, that Netflix doc ‘now they see us’ I think it’s called literally had me welling up for the poor lads and that was racially motivated for sure. I just find the incident that started this movement good and propper a bit odd as like to deal I’m facts.

As a single incident it may well not turn out to be racially motivated, but innocent black people in some states have just had enough of the treatment from the Police.

It's not that different over here. I've worked (and work with) with a number of black people. If you ask them if they have been stopped by the police it's incredible how many have. Ask a white person and you'd rarely find one who has.

One of my best mates was arrested in central London for "having two wallets" and locked in the cells. As the solicitor who they eventually got him pointed out, that's usually the case when you buy a new one.....

In the states, you also have to set this against the background of openly racist president who flirts with the far right on Twitter and a pandemic that has seen millions of low paid workers lose their jobs. That's disproportionately affected black wage earners.

Over here, Brexit (I'm sorry) has also had an effect. A number of knuckle draggers have come out from under their rocks. I've spoken to a number of non-white people who generally couldn't give a f#### whether this country was in the EU, but are frightened on a daily basis with the lurch to the right.

So over there (and over here) it hasn't exploded just because of the death. That's just the fuse...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not at all missing the point - I get it. But for an incident to be the protagonist for the protests and movement that has no evidence of racism just bemuses me. There’s loads of articles in the National press about the racist murder of GF’ - and that simply isn’t confirmed. I fully support the movement and protests (except the morons on both ‘sides’ ignoring the pandemic rules), I just find it weird that many have just assumed it is racist. My first thought other than sadness and shock was how there are still police officers who use their role to bully people - police brutality. The colour of the guys skin didn’t come into it. I guess I wasn’t searching for racism like some may have. As I say, that Netflix doc ‘now they see us’ I think it’s called literally had me welling up for the poor lads and that was almost certainly racially motivated given the evidence. I just find the incident that started this movement good and propper a bit odd as like to deal I’m facts. It’s been a great way to hammer home to anyone unsure that racism is unacceptable etc. Although things like banning uncle Ben from appearing on a packet of rice or banning a rugby song sang in support of a team are going way too far for me. Nobody has had a pop at the milky bar kid yet - he’s next.

The George Floyd murder didn’t start the movement. It has been going for some years as a disproportionate numbers of black people die at the hands of police in the States.
A jogger was shot just a few weeks ago, because two men ‘thought’ he looked like someone else. A bird watcher asked a white woman to put her dog back on its lead, because dogs were meant to be on a lead, in that particular park. She got annoyed & rang the police to say he had threatened to kill her. The police believed her because she was white & arrested him, with handcuffs. He was black. This is ‘normal’ in a lot of areas in America.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Yep. Just read the comments under his interview. Including a couple who are ‘embarrassed that he is embarrassed’.

[tweet]1275178782303936512[/tweet]

It's more than just a couple. I'm actually quite shocked at the level of ignorance in the comments on this tweet. That people need an explanation for why whitelivesmatter/alllivesmatter is racist. Is it really just dumb white northerners or is this a thing across all of the UK right now?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

You are expecting evidence of racism in the police, have you actualy read and listened and watched the recent death by cops that have lead up to this? The hispanic one where he luckily lived is very hard to listen to. Mr 8 minute choke has plenty of complaints against him all coincidentally by black men reaching for weapons that they didnt have. The banning jesus statues and swing low is deflection it is classic whataboutary which we know wont ever happen.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I still think the PL should've stuck with Kick It Out at this time. Even if BLM wasn't established to be quite so extreme their cause has been a bit hijacked. You see mostly peaceful BLM protests but also in the U.S innocent peoples private property is burned and looted under their banner, does the PL want to be specifically associated with that?

The PL could've promoted KIO again on their shirts to keep it more about the game and players could've taken the knee if they wished to but I do feel this decision was rushed, orchestrated and somewhat misjudged by the PL, so we see the idiotic response by people a bit too simple to really understand what it's all about.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
A bird watcher asked a white woman to put her dog back on its lead, because dogs were meant to be on a lead, in that particular park. She got annoyed & rang the police to say he had threatened to kill her. The police believed her because she was white & arrested him, with handcuffs. He was black. This is ‘normal’ in a lot of areas in America.

i have read numerous articles about the park incident and Amy Cooper (who made the call) and Christian Cooper (the birdwatcher man that filmed it) and not one said he was arrested with handcuffs.

USA Today reported a police statement where no arrests took place.

In a statement, the New York Police Department said officers were called to the area just after 8 a.m. Monday. When they arrived, "police determined two individuals had engaged in a verbal dispute. There were no arrests or summonses issued; both parties went on their way."

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/...ice-christian-cooper-central-park/5257764002/

Can you share the link of who told you Christian Cooper was arrested with handcuffs?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It's more than just a couple. I'm actually quite shocked at the level of ignorance in the comments on this tweet. That people need an explanation for why whitelivesmatter/alllivesmatter is racist. Is it really just dumb white northerners or is this a thing across all of the UK right now?

Seen plenty of Brighton fans come out with this crap too, although it wasn't a great surprise Burnley fans went the extra mile.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

I do hope you apply the same kind of forensic logic that you do to yet another murder of a black man at the hands of the police, to the words of Tommy Robinson, given that you are all about the facts right?

As others have said I don't really get what point you're arguing here. As for GF, why shouldn't it have been the spark that lit the flame of the protests? Is there some magic number of black men killed by cops that must be reached to make it ok? The White Lives Matter banner, you think there could be any other reason rather than the one that most of us can see as plain as day? Really?

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Full marks to Ben Mee for his forthright condemnation.

It is very welcome that PL footballers are speaking out on important issues instead of being bland. Marcus Rashford and Raheem Stirling have impressed me greatly on Free School meals and BLM recently

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I do hope you apply the same kind of forensic logic that you do to yet another murder of a black man at the hands of the police, to the words of Tommy Robinson, given that you are all about the facts right?

As others have said I don't really get what point you're arguing here. As for GF, why shouldn't it have been the spark that lit the flame of the protests? Is there some magic number of black men killed by cops that must be reached to make it ok? The White Lives Matter banner, you think there could be any other reason rather than the one that most of us can see as plain as day? Really?

What about the murder of black men at the hands of other black men...............only a couple of days ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53135677

Ravers lives matter too, or not?

This incident seems to lack coverage given the violent nature of these 2 deaths, or is the saturated news coverage of the Reading incident racist by the news channels............hard to know what to think these days.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
What about the murder of black men at the hands of other black men...............only a couple of days ago.

This incident seems to lack coverage given the violent nature of these 2 deaths, or is the saturated news coverage of the Reading incident racist by the news channels............hard to know what to think these days.

Are you saying that....other murders happen? That's some scoop.
Lacking coverage? I read about it and you're posting a link from the bbc.

No. It really isn't. BLM is a really easy concept to wrap your head around.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’m thinking something right now; and it wasn’t hard.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Full marks to Ben Mee for his forthright condemnation.

It is very welcome that PL footballers are speaking out on important issues instead of being bland. Marcus Rashford and Raheem Stirling have impressed me greatly on Free School meals and BLM recently

It would be useful to get their thoughts on the BLM objective to overthrow capitalism?

https://uk.gofundme.com/f/ukblm-fund

I would have thought Rashford and Stirling and all the other premiership stars owned (past and present) own property, investments and other consumables? Maybe I am wrong and they live in Council houses and only rent those Bentleys and Range Rovers?

Some animals walk on 2 feet eh?

Hasta la Victoria Siempere it’s not........

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Are you saying that....other murders happen? That's some scoop.
Lacking coverage? I read about it and you're posting a link from the bbc.

No. It really isn't. BLM is a really easy concept to wrap your head around.

Is it the concept or the movement? The 2 seem indivisible to m at the minute.

I can easily get my head around the concept, the movement less so.........multi millionaire football players advocating to dismantle the system that they have benefitted from and continue to do so?

If they mean what they say, they would (say) donate all their wealth and assets to the cause and just take an average wage.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Is it the concept or the movement? The 2 seem indivisible to m at the minute.

I can easily get my head around the concept, the movement less so.........multi millionaire football players advocating to dismantle the system that they have benefitted from and continue to do so?

If they mean what they say, they would (say) donate all their wealth and assets to the cause and just take an average wage

This is bizarre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here