Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Whistle Stop being taken over by The George Payne?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Game of pool?

The outside is painted green and it's been renamed the Railway Inn is all I can offer at the moment.

Make the bad thing stop! You need to scout it out, I need a full report.

Well actually you can if you ever went into The Kendal Arms, then now go into The George Payne, a turd has not only been polished, it's been transformed into the finest belgium chocolate truffle!

I am sure the locals will love it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Shall be sampling my first pint in the now open Railway Inn within the hour!

Report to follow....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Standing room only at 5pm. With The Vic's £100,000 makeover, 7 huge Sports Screens, karaoke and Grease themed re-opening night this has all the hallmarks of a known soap opera. We await Bold's report with bated breath as long as he can get in the door.

I wonder if you can now throw empty beer glasses onto the rail track.......

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Must be good in there.............

A raging success! Brilliant turn out. Free cocktails on the go, great looking food (only sampled some chips!) good ales, great mixture of people.

I was sad (due to family commitments) to have to drag myself away at 20.40pm.

Going to be a great night in there tonight. So many people I spoke to delighted to have a really nice pub on their doorstep. I think they've hit a home run! <hic>...!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Two weeks on and The Railway Inn is going great guns. Been in quite a bit over that period, and the pub is always busy, good food, good selection of wine, beers and ciders. Seems they've cornered an untapped gentrified market of Portslade-De-Mar!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two weeks on and The Railway Inn is going great guns. Been in quite a bit over that period, and the pub is always busy, good food, good selection of wine, beers and ciders. Seems they've cornered an untapped gentrified market of Portslade-De-Mar!

Been in a couple of times too. First time wasn't the greatest TBH. Big group of lary blokes at the bar, one of the ales off and the food prices! I actually thought I was pissed when I took a look at the menu and saw Ham, Egg and Chips for a tenner, a burger for 12 and £3,50 just for the bread to go with your cheese plate. Second time was much better but then wasn't looking to eat. I think it'll end up a great pub for the area that doesn't really have anything else like it but you'll excuse me if I don't eat there. I can't see their burger beating Cou Cou and it's about six quid for a double bacon burger there.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Packed in there Friday night, had a good time myself. Still always busy when I go in. Food is pricey though so I've not eaten in there very often.

I went in after the Rotherham game for drinks and it was fine. Must be the food going downhill.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I went in after the Rotherham game for drinks and it was fine. Must be the food going downhill.

Maybe, or it's just the odd instance when someone is off, or they have a bad day. Bound to be a few teething issues, not been a year yet. Need to review the pricing though as expectations will always be high on what they're charging.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
I've probably been in 10-12 times since it opened and eaten there maybe 3-4 times, I've got no complaints other than it's a probably a little pricey. Interestingly I happened to find myself passing The Blue Anchor (at the other end of the road) a couple of Fridays back and popped in for a swift. They were doing a roaring trade on Thai food, even had people coming to collect take away. Anyone on here tried it?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've probably been in 10-12 times since it opened and eaten there maybe 3-4 times, I've got no complaints other than it's a probably a little pricey. Interestingly I happened to find myself passing The Blue Anchor (at the other end of the road) a couple of Fridays back and popped in for a swift. They were doing a roaring trade on Thai food, even had people coming to collect take away. Anyone on here tried it?

Yep - it was very nice food on the single occasion I've tried it..

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Been hearing quite a lot about The Blue Anchor, may have to get my arse down there...

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
The Blue Anchor are actually giving it their best in a very difficult and testing location. They spent a lot of time and effort doing the place up and using a bit of imagination with the decor. I wouldn't call it "poncified". At least they charge reasonable prices for decent food and are not up their own arses. They're not just trying to appeal to the middle class yummy mummy sector, they've got a much broader appeal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here