Which was the first global news story, you remember?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All the talk of Argo, has me thinking.
The overthrow of The Shah of Iran is probably the very first international news event, that I was aware of, as a child.

I would have been about 10.

I seem to remember some long drawn out aeroplane hijackings, and Carter losing to Reegan, all of which would have been about the same time.

But Ayatollah Khomeini's succession to power is my most vivid memory.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The day Elvis died. Remember my Mum sobbing her heart out at the breakfast table.
That's a good one, I remember him dying but not really who he was.

(The Stat parents were not big on The King)

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
moon landings in 1969

The Fall of Saigon was the first real memory, I remember seeing it on the TV and announcing to my parents, who were out of the room, that the 3rd World War had started.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
JFK being assassinated.

Remember the shock on my parents' faces.

Suez. The streets of Newport being lined with tanks and other armoured vehicles, all painted sandy yellow, waiting to be loaded on to ships to support the Eden government's fantasy that Britain could carry on ruling the Middle East.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Suez. The streets of Newport being lined with tanks and other armoured vehicles, all painted sandy yellow, waiting to be loaded on to ships to support the Eden government's fantasy that Britain could carry on ruling the Middle East.

They couldn't even rule Newport.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Depends on how clear the memory has to be, and how much I understood of it.

How about the Queen's Coronation? but I was very young and did not really understand. Actually my big sister went to the Festival of Britain in 1951 but again I was too young to know what it was about - or to go.

JFK's assassination was the first and biggest news story that I took notice of

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
John Lennon's murder. Remember my Mum gasping when she heard it on the radio and sitting down in shock. I was 7. Unless you count Margaret Thatcher's election.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Kosovo, Milosovich - in my old house on a 16 inch crt TV, red walls watching explosions in a hilly town. 9/11 would have been the other one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports