Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which unknown Support Act did you see who later went on to become famous

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Matt Lucas.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Unfortunately mine was Chris de Burgh who was supporting Supertramp in 1976.

Yep. I was there for that too. Also saw UB40 completely upstage The Pretenders at time Brass In Pocket was number one #youveonlygotonesong

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was at that Tom Petty/Nils Lofgren gig mentioned earlier. Also saw Blondie supporting Television about a year later. I've seen The Stranglers support Patti Smith ... twice

Not quite the same but I once went to a gig where more than half the audience left after the support act but for the life of me I can't remember either act. That's what old age does ...

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The Fratelli's when they supported Kasabian at the Brighton Centre a few years back

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I share your pain....at the Dome yes?

Supertramp did just The Crime of the Century album

Yes it was the dome but mine was the Crisis? What Crisis? Tour so might have been 1977. Apparently De Burgh often used to tour with them because they were A&M label mates

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
LZ at the Toby Jug in Tolworth.

They only played the Toby Jug once, in Spring '69 (April or May?). Presumably mostly blues covers at that stage? Maybe Dazed & Confused too? You lucky b'stard!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
My missus saw Coldplay supporting the Kaiser Chiefs at the Concorde 2 a while back. Myself, Stereophonics supporting James(I think) at the Brighton Ctr

Sure it wasn't the other way round? Coldplay were big before the Kaiser Chiefs came around.

For me the most recent example is Catfish and The Bottlemen supporting Little Comets in 2014 I think. To be honest though, I'd bought the ticket more to see them than Little Comets.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
They were the only band I think but I saw Pulp play in the East Slope Bar at the University. Don't think there was even a stage.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I know someone who went to see Roy Orbison topping the bill back in 1963. The support act was The Beatles.

Me too. My mum. She was at the Brighton Hippodrome show. I am very jealous as I would have loved to have seen Roy Orbison.

The nearest I can get to her claim was when a Sub-Pop loving friend dragged me away from the bar to go and watch Nirvana who were low on the bill at the 1991 Reading Festival, a month or so before Nevermind was released. The only song I knew of their's was 'Sliver'. I saw Bon Jovi's first ever UK show when they supported a disappointingly unmade-up Kiss at the Brighton Centre. I thought they were dull and would never get anywhere.

In comedy I saw Stewart Lee on one of his earliest tours supporting Sadowitz in 1990 and, although he was already a name in America I saw Rich Hall play an early UK show at the Pavillion Theatre in 1996 when, although he wasn't the support act, he only sold about thirty tickets.

Like a lot of you I saw David Beckham playing a supporting role as he made his debut for United at The Goldstone coming on as a late sub for one of the Wallace brothers. Was it Matt Edwards who scored our goal in a 1-1 draw?

They only played the Toby Jug once, in Spring '69 (April or May?). Presumably mostly blues covers at that stage? Maybe Dazed & Confused too? You lucky b'stard!

April I think, my mum seems to have kept all this memorabilia from my youth so a ticket or flyer might still be knocking about in her flat somewhere, she certainly has a load my stuff from the Big Apple.
It was a sort of rock and blues club at the Toby Jug and I don't remember it as being packed that night. I think LZ were between US tours, where they'd gone down really well; there seemed to be some snottiness directed at them in the UK because of this at the time, maybe always tbh.
We went along as wind down after our O level mocks; the father of one of my schoolmates was a session musician who'd previously played with Jones and he drove us up there. The first album may have just been released; clearly remember them playing Communication Breakdown but the rest is beyond my short term memory, perhaps if I play that 1969 vinyl LP later today...............................

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Radiohead Supporting Kingmaker at Sussex Uni.

My band then supported Radiohead and the Richmond a few week later........... nope we never became famous :tantrum::down::rock:

Also saw Nine Inch Nails Supporting Guns n Roses at Wembley although they had released pretty hate machine so i think they were reasonably famous.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Me too. My mum. She was at the Brighton Hippodrome show. I am very jealous as I would have loved to have seen Roy Orbison.

The nearest I can get to her claim was when a Sub-Pop loving friend dragged me away from the bar to go and watch Nirvana who were low on the bill at the 1991 Reading Festival, a month or so before Nevermind was released. The only song I knew of their's was 'Sliver'. I saw Bon Jovi's first ever UK show when they supported a disappointingly unmade-up Kiss at the Brighton Centre. I thought they were dull and would never get anywhere.

In comedy I saw Stewart Lee on one of his earliest tours supporting Sadowitz in 1990 and, although he was already a name in America I saw Rich Hall play an early UK show at the Pavillion Theatre in 1996 when, although he wasn't the support act, he only sold about thirty tickets.

Like a lot of you I saw David Beckham playing a supporting role as he made his debut for United at The Goldstone coming on as a late sub for one of the Wallace brothers. Was it Matt Edwards who scored our goal in a 1-1 draw?

Yeah my mum went to that too (was this the Spike island/Ally Pally of the Early 60's gig that everyone went to??) said she didn't think much of the Beatles. Soon changed her mind though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Mercury Rev supporting Ride - They were (and continued to be IMHO) rubbish, just sounded like one long song intro.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I saw The Cure supporting Siouxsie And The Banshees at the Brighton Centre late 70s
The Cure were not exactly unknown but obviously went on to be very big.

That was probably out of convenience because Robert Smith used to play for Siouxsie sometimes.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I remember seeing Quo supporting T Rex at the Big Apple; I also remember Bowie as a support act at the Dome around 1969/70 but I think Humble Pie were the headline act? The latter was my second gig ever, the first being LZ at the Toby Jug in Tolworth.

I was at the Big Apple gig.....Quo supporting T Rex......a few years later my old mate was the Landlord of the Toby Jug in Tolworth..... late 70s early 80s.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here