Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which TV?

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
Our faithful old TV finally died last week, so now we're looking for a new one and we're confused by the array of choices on the market including widescreen, flatscreen, pure flat widescreen, LCD, flat panel, plasma (too expensive) - not to mention all the various packages. Our old digital box still works, so we don't need to become further confused by integrated digital tvs.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Get a colour one. All the pictures will be pretty.

Oh, and make sure it has sound.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Or Richer Sounds (who also have a shop on London Road)

www.richersounds.com

Have a look at whats availble in your price range and then visit the shop to see what you like best.
There was a big discussion here recently about LCD screens (I think Bozza was asking) Try a search.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Trish said:
Our faithful old TV finally died last week, so now we're looking for a new one and we're confused by the array of choices on the market including widescreen, flatscreen, pure flat widescreen, LCD, flat panel, plasma (too expensive) - not to mention all the various packages. Our old digital box still works, so we don't need to become further confused by integrated digital tvs.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have a brand spanking new widescreen whats-it-me-called in our house. But before that we had this old TV for 16 years...broke once, but you'll suprised how quickly and cheaply you can have the older ones repared. The new ones are almost impossible to sort out once their nackered. They dont make them how they used to!

Anyway, nip down to the TV SHOP and ask for a tv...Im sure the nice man at the counter will be able to sort you out. Also, NEVER BUY A TV FROM A CATALOGUE....You can never take it back if its dodgy.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
If you are going to get a normal CRT telly get a Sony as they DO make the best tubes. I'm currently sat watching the test on my 32 inch widescreen integrated digital telly and the picture is fantastic. I would recommend getting an IDTV, as then you can use your digital box exclusively for your video thus getting a bit more flexibilty in what you can record (plus a better picture on the recording). The majority of digital broadcasts on the main channels are now in widescreen so getting a widescreen telly is worthwhile, although in my opinion getting anything smaller than a 32 inch screen isn't worthwhile as the 4:3 broadcasts suffer from being, well, smaller than if you were watching on an ordinary 21 inch 4:3 telly.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Re: Re: Which TV?

Biscuit said:
Anyway, nip down to the TV SHOP and ask for a tv...Im sure the nice man at the counter will be able to sort you out. Also, NEVER BUY A TV FROM A CATALOGUE....You can never take it back if its dodgy.
and its a bastard to fit in the postbox

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
We've got our new 32" flat widescreen with ID & 100Hz picture being delivered on Tuesday.

Ordered out of a catalogue. Delivered to the door, if anything goes wrong, it gets picked up the following day by the courier. We don't have to lug it around anywhere.

Hurry up & come, Tuesday.:clap:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If you can't afford an expensive LCD, don't get one. If its less than 1500 pounds, it'll have picture creep, poor rise and fall times, etc.

This is why I use my LCD monitor from 2000 that cost 3,000 Irish Pounds still - its better than any current one

For a good flat-fronted widescreen TV, get a Beko. Just make sure it hasn't got bowing problems, some do.

They're just Philips sets for a lot, lot cheaper. Mine was around 400 EUR for a 28 inch flat-fronted widescreen, almost two years ago.

Lush

Mods' Pet
At the risk of hijacking Trish's thread - is anyone finding themselves watching French TV in the background at the moment?

Our picture is terrible (seems to be worse in hot weather?) Any solutions?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I had an aerial booster fitted to mine, it only cost £20 and it worked a treat.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
*checks television*

Well, the cable is a bit wobbly, as it always is in warm (or wet) weather; but BBC 1 SE on the satellite is solid :D :D

bobbycodpiece

Jul 25, 2004
Brighton
Lush said:
At the risk of hijacking Trish's thread - is anyone finding themselves watching French TV in the background at the moment?

Our picture is terrible (seems to be worse in hot weather?) Any solutions?

....squint...& enjoy a bit of TF1 !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here