Which TV series would you advise me to watch if you could only recommend ONE?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm going to recommend one that's barely started, so it's the most promising. And it is promising, because it's ambitious. That ambition is shown by its length (the plan is for 40+ episodes), and that it tracks a particular space over a long period, a century. In this, it follows on from Heimat, which played an important role in Germany's post-war reconstruction of the psyche after Nazism.
The series is called The Village. It began earlier on this year on BBC1, so may well still be available on iPlayer, otherwise there's other web sources to track it down or the now ubiquitous box set. The first episode is glacially s....l....o....w, which might put some people off, but it's just scene-setting, as we have to adjust our perspectives for a century-long, forty-episode series. Perseverance more than pays off by the final episode dealing with the aftermath of WW1, which was one of the most staggering hours of TV I've ever seen, and is a welcome antidote to the mawkish celebrations/remembrances we will get from our politicians and big-wigs on this subject next year on the centenary of 'The Great War's' outbreak.

Others include: GBH, (the original) House of Cards, Doctor Who, The Bridge, Borgen, The Killing, Fawlty Towers, The Day Today, Brass Eye, and plenty more that will come to me in due course.

What this points to is that we are living through a halcyon period of televisual brilliance.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I would recomend Jerry Bruckheimer's 'The Chase'. Only one short series but was great TV.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Weeds. Of all the TV I have ever watched this was my favourite without doubt. If you have not watched this well written, superbly acted black comedy/ drama then you really should get to it. It is full of memorable characters & watching the kids grow throughout the seasons is great as they develop their personalities as they get older. Brilliant, I'm sure others will agree. (&disagree, it is NSC afterall)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
If you like comedy then the Birds of a Feather boxset takes some beating :lolol:

9bccad47-0ddd-40e2-8d27-a48f18654d76_rexfeatures_birds_of_a_feather.jpg

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Cant really count band of brothers as a series so The Sopranos.

But take a pick from any of Deadwood, Justified, The Wire, Luther, Breaking Bad, Arrested Development, Eastbound and Down, Californication, Over There, Generation Kill, Oz, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Rome, Vikings, Underbelly....I must get out more!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I would agree with many already cited, so to be different, I'll vote for Red Dwarf or Brideshead Revisited.

Brideshead Revisited all the way with knobs on. I would have posted that if no-one else had.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
HOC.png

This classic is a must :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Top of The Lake was an under-seen, perfectly pitched, masterpiece of a series that I would recommend to one and all. Strange mystery set in New Zealand but starring Peter Mullen and Holly Hunter. Just brilliant.

A mini series I particularly enjoyed was Any Human Heart. Still available on 4OD and well worth the watch.

As mentioned before the two series of Early Doors were a gem.

I also enjoyed Kenneth Brannagh in the UK version of Wallander.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports