Which TV series would you advise me to watch if you could only recommend ONE?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Spaced
Dr Who
X-Files
Game of Thrones

I tried the Wire - but after a couple of episodes I gave up.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Boston Legal

Yes, yes, yes, what he said - I was gonna suggest this but I couldn't remember what it was called! (it's an age thing).

and/or M.A.S.H. and/or West Wing (the latter for it's continual lessons of "how to negotiate for everything".)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Obviously the classics like Spaced etc

In recent months/years (as thats when I've only just had access to Sky) I've really enjoyed discovering Modern Family and Revolution.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm going to recommend one that's barely started, so it's the most promising. And it is promising, because it's ambitious. That ambition is shown by its length (the plan is for 40+ episodes), and that it tracks a particular space over a long period, a century. In this, it follows on from Heimat, which played an important role in Germany's post-war reconstruction of the psyche after Nazism.
The series is called The Village. It began earlier on this year on BBC1, so may well still be available on iPlayer, otherwise there's other web sources to track it down or the now ubiquitous box set. The first episode is glacially s....l....o....w, which might put some people off, but it's just scene-setting, as we have to adjust our perspectives for a century-long, forty-episode series. Perseverance more than pays off by the final episode dealing with the aftermath of WW1, which was one of the most staggering hours of TV I've ever seen, and is a welcome antidote to the mawkish celebrations/remembrances we will get from our politicians and big-wigs on this subject next year on the centenary of 'The Great War's' outbreak.

Others include: GBH, (the original) House of Cards, Doctor Who, The Bridge, Borgen, The Killing, Fawlty Towers, The Day Today, Brass Eye, and plenty more that will come to me in due course.

What this points to is that we are living through a halcyon period of televisual brilliance.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports