Which team is bigger?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Does our Charity Shield trump Palaces Zenith Data Cup ? if so then Saints, Pompey, Us , The Scum.

Our play off victory trumps that Major.
Get back to 4th place.

el punal

How do you judge biggest? - Number of trophies won, amount of seasons spent in the top tier division, richest owners, largest average attendance, biggest catchment area of fans, future potential, status, size of population, etc., etc.

To be honest, as far as history is concerned, we are not big having only spent 4 seasons in the old first division.

Potentially, however, we have the infrastructure, the attendance, the stadium and training ground/academy (soon) to change that.

Should we succeed I would put us on the same level as Southampton, Norwich, West Bromwich and slightly ahead of Hull and Cardiff. As for Palace, well they have the bragging rights over us at the moment, but that will change in the very near future.

Portsmouth, I can't see them being anything more than a League 1 side, at best, for a few seasons because of their financial problems. Similar to us when we were at Withdean.

Let's see how this all pans out in a couple of years eh!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Based purely on your average perception from football fans around the country , the majority would probably put -

Pompey
Saints
Palace
Brighton

Pretty easy to choose that list really.

Put a Swindon and Plymouth in there and then there would be bigger debate over the bottom 3, cases can be made for us being bigger and smaller than those 2. Both clubs fans prob deem them bigger.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How do you judge biggest? - Number of trophies won, amount of seasons spent in the top tier division, richest owners, largest average attendance, biggest catchment area of fans, future potential, status, size of population, etc., etc.

To be honest, as far as history is concerned, we are not big having only spent 4 seasons in the old first division.

Potentially, however, we have the infrastructure, the attendance, the stadium and training ground/academy (soon) to change that.

Should we succeed I would put us on the same level as Southampton, Norwich, West Bromwich and slightly ahead of Hull and Cardiff. As for Palace, well they have the bragging rights over us at the moment, but that will change in the very near future.

Portsmouth, I can't see them being anything more than a League 1 side, at best, for a few seasons because of their financial problems. Similar to us when we were at Withdean.

Us the same as West Brom lol

They are miles miles bigger than us even if we made the prem for several years with a couple of trophies

Feb 14, 2010
In terms of numbers of support compared to the division the club is in its Brighton, Saints, Pompey, Palace.
In terms of trophies its Pompey, Saints, Brighton (Charity Shield), Palace (nothing),
In terms of time spent in top flight Pompey / Saints (not sure which way around), Palace, Brighton

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who gives a shit? Any decent player would rather be at Hull than Leeds right now.

Our play off victory trumps that Major.
Get back to 4th place.

I'll see you and raise you our 1981 3-0 victory at Selhurst which saw you relegated from the old Div 1 and was the start of our amazing 4 game winning run which saw our last day survival. Plus, as the good Doctor mentions, our average att in the last 2 years.

Game, set and 3rd place for the Albion.:albion2:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Us, next June when Lewandoeski signs on a 5 year contract :)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I'm actually pretty surprised we managed 25 posts without someone writing something like this. We probably need to spend a decade in the top division and win something before we can start talking about ourselves in the same breath as those teams.

Hull and Cardiff have never done anything up until now, they are in the same boat as us. As much as I hate to say it, from the 80s onwards pa*ace went miles ahead of us as we went into termial reverse.

History doesn't lie. Some people get too excited about what the future might hold.

el punal

Us the same as West Brom lol

They are miles miles bigger than us even if we made the prem for several years with a couple of trophies

Historically of course they are. I'm crystal ball-gazing here based on what might be. As it stands we have the same average attendance, probably the same numbers in a fan base catchment area, and, just my own opinion as to who we would be equal to if we did get to the Premier League. It's all subjective of course - you could have thrown Wigan and Reading into the mix.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Brighton and Hove Albion, as it trumps Crystal Palace by having 21 letters compared to their 13, dwarfs Southampton's 11 and pummels Portsmouth's 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports