Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which team has overachieved the most in the Championship this season?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
While it is easy to say Huddersfield they do have some top loan players from the Premier. I think Leeds and Reading are over achieving, they have good manager's who are getting the best out of average squads.
Under achievers would be Villa and Norwich, swimming in parachute payment cash and unable to put together a run of good results.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Huddersfield, Barnsley, Leeds (not spent much) and Preston.

Underachieve - Villa, Wolves (given how much spent) and Norwich (should really be top two with their squad).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Huddersfield have won 12 points in the last five minutes and injury time and Villa have a deficit of 5 pts in the last 5 minutes and injury time. We are +6 pts. Newcastle and Norwich have a deficit of 1.

Apr 15, 2016
N1D
Huddersfield as they were all the way down in 19th last season, and now they're third challenging for automatic promotion, Barnsley and Preston too. Underachieved has to be Villa as they have spent a massive amount of money on PL proven players and on some of the best players in the championship, adding on to their famous squad, yet they are in low mid table. Ipswich and Birmingham under Zola as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Keep saying Huddersfield ladies...it sounds good!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There are a lot of candidates for both titles, I think.

Huddersfield probably take the 'over'. Tremendous season.
But:
Garry Monk is doing a spectacular job at Leeds, given the back-ground nonsense and a fractured squad.
Barnsley to challenge for the play-offs, and continue to compete after losing all their best players - amazing job.
Reading - I thought / hoped Stam would be another Sami H, but he's done an excellent job with a fairly average squad.
Preston too - unfashionable club, unfashionable manager, rag-tag squad. Excellent showing.
Not for the whole season, but since Warnock arrived - Cardiff - amazing recovery.

Under:
Given the original squads, plus money spent, you'd be extremely disappointed if you were a fan of Villa, Derby or Norwich.
You could even make a case for Newcastle being under-achievers - they weren't expecting to have to scrap to win this league.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
To be honest, given our infrastructure, consistency and the players we have if by some horrid turn of events we don't go up we will be the big under achievers. Same for Newcastle
But putting that to one side:
Over:Reading, Barnsley
Under: Derby and Norwich.

Fulham have under achieved in light of quality of their football

Last edited:

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
I'm going to say Reading. Huddersfield are doing better than I thought they would pre-season, but that is only because we didn't pay enough attention. Like us last season, they have a very good squad and a good manager, so given that, they are pretty close to where you'd expect them to be. Obviously they're doing very well for the amount of money they have.

My actual over-achievers are Reading. I have no idea how they're up in 4th. They only seem to have Kermogant, and every time I see them they look play shot, jave shot support, but somehow manage to grab a win. If we replayed the season with the same squads, I'd expect them to be mid-table.

Obviously after having said this, I am fully expecting us to get turned over at the weekend.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Think most of the answers have already been said on here. Though think Birmingham is worth a shout for underachievers. Were doing fairly well and then completely took a U-turn and crumpled instantly under Zola. They've fallen just as far as Norwich have this season. I'd say their friends in Aston are the bigger shock, but Birmingham really did sink

Brighton hasn't overachieved at all though, I'd say we've achieved highly, but not beyond expectation considering our huge unbeaten run last season and our high (if disappointing) finish

Which teams have been the most consistent in form from last season? I'd wager the MASSIVE myself

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Under - Villa and Derby

Over - Burton and Barnsley

We agree again! Wagner's pressing and Klopp's influence surely meant that Huddersfield were either going to boom or bust - the main thing that has surprised me about them was how ordinary they looked on 13 September. I remember being terrified of Aston Villa - probably will be again at the end of the season - but that was really due to them being a big name. The opposite situation applies to Huddersfield - Harold Wilson was a boy when they last went for it.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
You could even make a case for Newcastle being under-achievers - they weren't expecting to have to scrap to win this league.

Definitely agree with this, apart from it's not a scrap to win the league, they're in a scrap to go up automatic. Yes, they'll probably still do it, but with their squad and resources they should be enjoying a Celticesque romp to the title, not nervously looking at fixtures with 15 games to go.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Definitely agree with this, apart from it's not a scrap to win the league, they're in a scrap to go up automatic. Yes, they'll probably still do it, but with their squad and resources they should be enjoying a Celticesque romp to the title, not nervously looking at fixtures with 15 games to go.

Well, as more than 1 Sky pundit has said recently ... "Newcastle have the best players, Brighton have the best team"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here