Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which squad is stronger, ours or Fulham’s?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As long as we manage to hold onto the aforesaid proper defence, we'll stand a chance

Ours, Dunk, Duffy, Ryan = a proper defence. Doesn't matter how many flair number 10s, tricky wingers, cult Balkan strikers and exotic sounding midfielders you have if you concede two goals a game.

This is also why Villa and Norwich will not be as strong as people think this season.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Ours, Dunk, Duffy, Ryan = a proper defence. Doesn't matter how many flair number 10s, tricky wingers, cult Balkan strikers and exotic sounding midfielders you have if you concede two goals a game.

This is also why Villa and Norwich will not be as strong as people think this season.

I don't think our defence is half as good as we make out. Under CH, defending was the priority. We had 10 men behind the ball defending. Without that, our defence will get exposed a lot more.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm concerned, but not in any way to do with the recent friendly.

I'm concerned because at the moment we're no stronger than we were at the end of last season and at the end of last season we were terrible (And it could get worse if we lose Dunk). The mood music coming from the club isn't suggesting to me that we're planning significant improvements.

Now, it could be that Potter turns out to be a brilliant manager who can get loads more out of the team than Hughton could, it could be we keep Dunk, it could be that we sign players who will improve our starting 11 in the next couple of weeks.

All are a bit of a leap of faith though. I'm thinking concerned is an appropriate reaction at the moment.

Jesus Christ. One pointless friendly defeat and the loan out of Knocky and people f**king wet the bed.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm concerned, but not in any way to do with the recent friendly.

I'm concerned because at the moment we're no stronger than we were at the end of last season and at the end of last season we were terrible (And it could get worse if we lose Dunk). The mood music coming from the club isn't suggesting to me that we're planning significant improvements.

Now, it could be that Potter turns out to be a brilliant manager who can get loads more out of the team than Hughton could, it could be we keep Dunk, it could be that we sign players who will improve our starting 11 in the next couple of weeks.

All are a bit of a leap of faith though. I'm thinking concerned is an appropriate reaction at the moment.
Hughton needed to go. Will Potter get more out of the current squad than Hughton ? I very much doubt it. Interesting point i read somewhere is that when a team is on a downward spiral it's very difficult to stop the rot. Our results after Xmas were utterly woeful. Can Potter change that habit ? without strengthening i doubt it. So far the recruitment has been gash.
Clarke won't get in while Dunk and Duffy remain. As for the new winger it remains to be seen. Given our track record on wasting large sums of money on wingers it's a concern.
I still feel the club will make a couple of really good signings though. Bloom hasn't let us down before. Time is ticking though.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Embarrassing isn't it.

Transfer window hasn't closed yet, you'd think they'd hold their bladder until then and then tsunami of piss everywhere...but no, they prefer a steady stream of piss

We lost 2-0 to fulham in a friendly the season we got promoted. Means sweet FA.

I have a sneaking suspicion it was 3-0 to Fulham at Aldershot EBB stadium?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Propper doesn't play in defence. :lol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Offloading your best player for peanuts - time to wet the bed
Shit, who's going now? First Knockaert and now our best player? Potter Out.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sorry. I've misunderstood the question.

it can't surely be: Who is stronger?

The team who survived in the PL and have kept all their key players....before adding another good player

The team who were relegated from the PL, have lost some key players and have just signed a player from the first team who is not deemed good enough?

Because, that would be an odd question to ask.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Sorry. I've misunderstood the question.

it can't surely be: Who is stronger?

The team who survived in the PL and have kept all their key players....before adding another good player

The team who were relegated from the PL, have lost some key players and have just signed a player from the first team who is not deemed good enough?

Because, that would be an odd question to ask.

I know you're trying to be clever, but it depends on your angle doesn't it?

If you are a believer that CH did the best he could with a botched squad, and similarly believe Jokanovic/Ranieri did poorly with a decent squad then it's not too odd a question to ask is it?

Fulham picked up at the tail-end of the season, and if there had been more proverbial runway, would have undoubtedly overtaken us with our decimated form and confidence in freefall.

For me, if they improve their defence Fulham will demolish the Championship this season, whilst we could be propping up the PL unless we make some very decent signings who are ready to be thrown straight in.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I know you're trying to be clever, but it depends on your angle doesn't it?.

Not trying to be clever at all. Personally I think it's an amazingly easy question fuelled by classic PANIC TIME in the summer. (remember people worrying about the amount of signings HUDDERSFIELD were making? :lolol:) I looked at the quality of players in each team.

If you are a believer that CH did the best he could with a botched squad, and similarly believe Jokanovic/Ranieri did poorly with a decent squad then it's not too odd a question to ask is it?

I don't believe that. We showed in the first half of the season how we could play and then collapsed.

Fulham picked up at the tail-end of the season, and if there had been more proverbial runway, would have undoubtedly overtaken us with our decimated form and confidence in freefall.?
So, if we had played to anywhere near the standard of our first half of the season, we would have been way in front of them. We finished above them DESPITE the collapse and them suddenly winning 3 in a row and still finishing TEN points behind us. TEN.

For me, if they improve their defence Fulham will demolish the Championship this season, whilst we could be propping up the PL unless we make some very decent signings who are ready to be thrown straight in.

But we are in a different league to them...so that wouldn't mean anything when comparing the two squads. We have just sent a guy on loan to them who (let's be honest) wasn't BRILLIANT in the prem. He may well tear that division apart like he did for us. That shows the jump up in quality.

The reason everyone thinks Fulham underperformed was the standard of players they got in the summer........most of them have gone now, so they aren't far off the squad they came up with previously.....and are about to lose Sessegnon. Why are they SUDDENLY even close to being considered a better squad than ours? A team that finished so far ahead of them despite doing everything in their power to be relegated :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fulham's squad has been strengthened since the weekend. Ours has been weakened. Fulham's play has got more entertaining since the weekend. Ours has got less entertaining.

Nevermind, I'm sure both clubs know what they are doing...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Fulham's squad has been strengthened since the weekend. Ours has been weakened. Fulham's play has got more entertaining since the weekend. Ours has got less entertaining.

Nevermind, I'm sure both clubs know what they are doing...

Ours has got less entertaining? Seriously? Did you watch any of our games last season? Entertaining was the last thing we were-unless you were a relegation rival watching us implode. I'm sure that was entertaining for them. One player leaves. One. And all of a sudden we're not entertaining? We haven't played one bloody game yet ffs!

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
From Knocky's point of view, he wants to hope Fulham's squad isn't as strong as ours or there's little point in moving to remain forth choice winger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here