glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Retired and very nearly skint class

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
class is such a confused and outmodded notion now. for example, many who are by those definitions "Established Middle Class" would consider themselves working class. thinking builders, plumbers, other tradesman etc who own businesses and property.

funnily i was thinking about this recently (joy of long commute) and concluded that anyone with a degree leaves the old notional working class as they are aspiring to be professional, salaried employees, which is the core of the old middle class. but people will call themselves "working class" because their dad worked in a factory even though they themselves are a journalist, media consultant, IT manager etc. i find this odd.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
class is such a confused and outmodded notion now. for example, many who are by those definitions "Established Middle Class" would consider themselves working class. thinking builders, plumbers, other tradesman etc who own businesses and property.

funnily i was thinking about this recently (joy of long commute) and concluded that anyone with a degree leaves the old notional working class as they are aspiring to be professional, salaried employees, which is the core of the old middle class. but people will call themselves "working class" because their dad worked in a factory even though they themselves are a journalist, media consultant, IT manager etc. i find this odd.

It's not outmoded, because class systems exist in every community in the world. They exist, because people want to join the class above their own, so they need to know what it is they want to join. When they can't join, they are envious of that class to which they aspire, so try to belittle it and the people who belong to it.

What is outmoded, is classing people according to wealth. There are many aristocrats who are impoverished, without two pence to rub together, but people assume they are rich because they live in a stately home. And there are many in the (old) House of Lords, who aren't aristocrats at all and whose parents weren't aristocrats. When people think of their own class, they tend to think of their parents' class, particularly among those who are middle-aged or older. The younger generation prefer the American model, of merit, that they have risen above their parents' class and have achieved a higher class on their own merits. But the American class system is far less fluid than the British model, which may surprise some people.

"High society began buzzing the day the wedding invitations arrived from Mr and Mrs Hugh Dudley Auchincloss announcing the impending marriage of Jacqueline Lee Bouvier to John Fitzgerald Kennedy. At that time the Auchincloss name had been part of American society for seven generations. Through marriage it touched such venerable families as the Rockerfellers, Tiffanys and Vanderbilts. By contrast, the Irish Catholic Kennedys were barely out of steerage. Despite their fortune of $400 million, the boisterous Kennedys had never been accepted into the quiet drawing rooms of America's social elite. But now the doors of Anglo-Saxon, Protestant aristocracy would finally open and Newport's grandes dames would take places alongside red-faced Boston pols." [Opening paragraph to 'Jackie Oh! by Kitty Kelley]

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Pedant Class. Title should read "To which social class do you belong?"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rubbish, it said this about me

Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities
(Maybe a bit, but not really, football, music, that's about it)
Went to university
(no I did not, not even close to it)
Are comfortably off, secure and established
(nothing of the sort, not secure at all, I work in sales. Established? You never are when you're in sales. Comfortably off, well, I look forward to seeing the overdraft reduce for a couple of weeks each payday)

It said the same about me, which is also a load of rubbish.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Elite !!!!!! :cool:

Yeah same which is a bit of a joke, must be based on income mainly as I have no "O" levels and didn't go to University. House prices in the south also allow you to be in the upper level if you are a home owner and Brighton is pretty diverse so it's not that unusual to mix your social groups quite widely. I know builders and Lawyers, a scientist and a couple of accountants but that does not mean I went to Oxford.... The whole class thing is a bit weird now anyway, personally I think it has been replaced by the masses from multiple backgrounds competing with a top 3% that run the show :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Pleb.
That BBC survey has got the precariat profoundly wrong. The term was coined by Guy Standing in a book of the same name. From that typology, Standing's precariat would constitute both the precariat and the emergent service workers. So long as neoliberalism holds sway, this is the group that will grow and become more prominent.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Class 3B

*waits for someone to get the obscure reference*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here