Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which secondary/high school did you go to?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
approved by the queen ?:laugh:

Institutes of correction in those days were called Approved Schools. Today, I suppose they would be Young Offenders Institutes.
The phrase, I went to a good school it was Approved, was a school joke at the time.
At the time though it wasn't the pupils that the public needed protection from, it was the pupils who needed protection from the Headmaster. He had a garden shed where he took some pupils for gardening lessons or something. He got four years.
It was fifty years ago and I still wonder which were the pupils that received the extra attention. :dunce:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Institutes of correction in those days were called Approved Schools. Today, I suppose they would be Young Offenders Institutes.
The phrase, I went to a good school it was Approved, was a school joke at the time.
At the time though it wasn't the pupils that the public needed protection from, it was the pupils who needed protection from the Headmaster. He had a garden shed where he took some pupils for gardening lessons or something. He got four years.
It was fifty years ago and I still wonder which were the pupils that received the extra attention. :dunce:
i get the joke , im old enough!! it used to be the sort of joke beloved of the likes of stan boardman.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Sorry Bushy, thought you were only a young lad of 44. I suppose some schoolboy stuff is eternal.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Same here - despite being in 'A1' all way up, came out with just two O levels..

Then we BOTH enjoyed the delights of Mercer, Turner, Marsh, Spong, Roland Rat, Tregear, CRAshdown & that overly fruity French Teacher (remember her body but not her name!) AT the same time.

:wave::facepalm:

I have a feeling that "DR" means something to you? Remember "PC"? Still see some of the crowd around "SB", "SP" & bumped into "RB" the other week.

:wink:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I had the 'pleasure' of going to Varndean Grammar School for young ladies, before they admitted boys. I hated it & they hated me. I was told I wouldn't ever do what I wanted as I would never get the A levels I needed. So today, some nearly 30 years after leaving, I have had my second book published, so up yours varndean!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Alfred Mizen Primary -Mitcham
Buxted cofe-sussex
Smallwood rd primary-tooting
uckfield secondary-sussex
ernest bevin secondary-tooting

Buxted C of E primary
Uckfield Secondary