Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which season would you like to see again ?

D

Deleted member 18477

1982-1983 and 2010-2011.

2003-2004 for its dramatic playoff action and 2011-2012 just to witness the first game at the Amex again. Incredible scenes!

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Promotion season at the Goldstone 1987/88
Went down to the wire last game of season against Bristol Rovers.
Gary Nelson vying with David Kelly of Walsall to be top goalscorer (Nelse chasing Ward's record) and us and Walsall vying to get the 2nd automatic spot behind Sunderland (Notts County also had a sniff going into the last game)
That final game topped it all, twas a great game.
Loved the North East Terrace being proper rammed in the glorious sunshine.
The best pitch invasion experienced and the players celebrating and dancing in the West Stand afters (Kevin Bremner in his pants)
Oh to be a kid again at the Goldstone!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Gary Nelson vying with David Kelly of Walsall to be top goalscorer (Nelse chasing Ward's record) and us and Walsall vying to get the 2nd automatic spot behind Sunderland (Notts County also had a sniff going into the last game)
The best pitch invasion experienced and the players celebrating and dancing in the West Stand afters (Kevin Bremner in his pants)

it was a great afternoon

took some turf home that day

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
1964/65
Bobby Smith ( ex England international) at Centre Forward.
102 League Goals scored
Average crowd over 17,000 , 7 gates over 20,000, over 31,000 at final match - in the 4th Division!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm getting on a bit now, and have seen a few seasons of the Albion - the good, the bad, and the Archer years - but if you could go back and re-live just ONE season, which would it be ?

I'd opt for 71/72, a fantastic time of flair and goals, the best Albion goal of all time, huge-ish home crowds, tension and terraces.Great characters in the Albion team, great songs.........and ultimately promotion.

Loved it !

71/72 for me too - my final year at Uni, and easy to hitch hike down from Liverpool and back (even after night games) in those days. 35,000 v. B'mth, Willie Irvine's screamer against the Villa, and those three goals in the last five minutes to beat Torquay 3-1. Fabulous days - oh to be that young again!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Any season because I'd know the result of every match before it's played, take the bookies to the cleaners and become a millionaire!

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Well, although Im 50, Ive only lived in Brighton since 1992 (and for the first few years up to about 1993-94 used to go along to the Goldstone as a neutral, to see the football). It was around 1994 that I started getting "involved" passionately. So, for me, the best seasons Ive seen are:
2000-01 - The Mickey Adams, Bobby Zamora, Danny Cullip Div 3 Champions team - blew most teams away in that league, and had the fantastic Cheaterfield match at the end.... Cullip rising like a Salmon at the railway end....
2001-02 - To be honest, always felt slightly unreal, - we struggled at times, but we were a division higher.... For me, not as good as the previous year, but a quite unbelievable achievement.
2003-04 - Only because of THAT Play-off semi v Swindon... and the great day out in Cardiff. But struggling to recall too much else to be honest...
2010-11 - Great season - Poyets team pass pass pass our way out of Withdean, out of League 1, and into the Championship and The Amex! Great season. Blew most teams away again - including Pompey in the Cup, and that glorious 4-3 over Dagenham & R to clinch promotion... fantastic.
2012-13 - Albion's best season, league position wise, since I arrived in Brighton in 92 - some great memories - Ulloa hattrick v Huddersfield etc... however, spoiled slightly by that awful last match against ... thingy.

So for me - 2010-11 ...!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure I've felt any better as an Albion fan than just 3 years ago, during - and particularly at the end of - the 2010/11 season.

1) We weren't just the best, we were by far the best in that league. We bloody walked it. No, we didn't really bother in the last 4 games but that doesn't matter in the slightest.
2) The Amex was about to arrive. We could watch it being built - hell, we could (and did) even watch the grass grow via a bloody webcam.
3) The imminent impact of the Amex meant even going to the Withdean didn't depress as much.
4) Some ruddy brilliant matches (though this could apply to most seasons). That 4-3 v Carlisle, that other 4-3 v Dagenham to secure promotion, 5-0 v Orient, 4-0 at Charlton, 3-0 at Peterborough, 3-1 v Pompey in the cup.
5) March 2011. Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win - surely the best month ever for the Albion?
6) Watching the tika-taka, pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass football style.

Disclaimer, before anyone calls me a JCL for picking something so recent - I only started watching the Albion regularly in 2000, so no I can't really pick any year before then. But it still blows out of the water any of the 3 other promotion seasons since the turn of the century...

I would agree with that. I do remember the 64/65 promotion and the late 70s but as you say, that season had so many high points including the anticipation of getting our new home. It was heady stuff.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
all the goals came in a 20 odd minute spell

what a night!

could possibly be the best 20 minutes the Albion ever played

What was great was that not only did we score 7 against Walsall, but also York and we put 4 goals past Swindon, Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Portsmouth.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not sure I've felt any better as an Albion fan than just 3 years ago, during - and particularly at the end of - the 2010/11 season.

1) We weren't just the best, we were by far the best in that league. We bloody walked it. No, we didn't really bother in the last 4 games but that doesn't matter in the slightest.
2) The Amex was about to arrive. We could watch it being built - hell, we could (and did) even watch the grass grow via a bloody webcam.
3) The imminent impact of the Amex meant even going to the Withdean didn't depress as much.
4) Some ruddy brilliant matches (though this could apply to most seasons). That 4-3 v Carlisle, that other 4-3 v Dagenham to secure promotion, 5-0 v Orient, 4-0 at Charlton, 3-0 at Peterborough, 3-1 v Pompey in the cup.
5) March 2011. Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win - surely the best month ever for the Albion?
6) Watching the tika-taka, pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass football style.

Disclaimer, before anyone calls me a JCL for picking something so recent - I only started watching the Albion regularly in 2000, so no I can't really pick any year before then. But it still blows out of the water any of the 3 other promotion seasons since the turn of the century...

100% this!!!! What a season!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

I was standing on the floodlight for that one, 90 minutes on a piece of metal a few inches wide. (was only just 13 at the time and not that tall)

Sore feet the next day but it was worth it.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The League One promotion season under Poyet was very special, and I wish I could live it again because I doubt I will see days like those again.

I would love to relive the Zamora days. I was only 10 or 11 around then, so obviously knew what a player Zamora was, but never quite had the context to realise what a special and momentous time that was for the club. Looking back on some of the away games around then it looks like truly special times.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

It was my first Albion game.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Straight away my initial thought was 71/72, my 1st promotion and it was a race where Albion started late and slowly rode through the field, the season just building up to a climax.

But special mention to 76/77 and that great Mullery team with the magic of peter Ward, and the 2010/11 promotion side which played such football to totally outclass opponents.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Which season would you like to see again ?
I'm getting on a bit now, and have seen a few seasons of the Albion - the good, the bad, and the Archer years - but if you could go back and re-live just ONE season, which would it be ?

Ask me that next year :D

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've followed the club properly since 1984 and it is strange to say that three of my five most memorable seasons were at Withdean. I really enjoyed 1984-5 and 1985-6 when we played to a similar level as we are now, but these 3 Withdean seasons were excellent, given where we had come from.

2000 - CHAMPIONS
2001 - CHAMPIONS
and 2010 almost as a reward to our fans "you've been watching us for too long at this place", CHAMPIONS

Last season was excellent too, but I think the first season at the Amex probably wins it for me. We topped the league, and we were really competitive apart from that 2 month spell before Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here