Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which posters should play in the NEXT REMF game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
who is this snoobs? has he played in the matches before? Is he known to the management of the team?

I honestly dont know

He came on last year....I don't even know who the manager is to be honest...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He came on last year....I don't even know who the manager is to be honest...

Andy Rumble is the manager and has been for the last five or six years.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I am not sure why this has surfaced this year. In the past, people were picked by the manager and played the game in the spirit of the fund ( apart from Richie trying to have a fight with a few of the Palace boys).

Is the problem that people do not think the team is strong enough to win this year, or is it that people think that some people should or should not be playing in the game?

I am not sure what people's agenda is

As I see it, this year is the first time the game has been oversubscribed.

As a result, people are questioning how the team is picked, which is fair enough. It has been agreed that ways of improving selection will be looked at for next year.

For now though, those who are in the squad are getting on with raising cash, and those who aren't seem to have taken it well. After all, the game is only just over 3 weeks away.

Unfortunately, it's the mates of those players missing out (plus a handful of others e.g. Bry) who seem to be determined to make an issue out of things and disrupt the build up to this years game.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What about the "Daft Bints" being Gullys Girls ? I'll definately turn up if Footy Chick is in ! :blush:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Andy Rumble is the manager and has been for the last five or six years.

Not a clue who he is, but if he was manager last season then, yes, he would know Snoobs...

(Though, I thought Mendoza was manager last season)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Unfortunately, it's the mates of those players missing out (plus a handful of others) who seem to be determined to make an issue out of things and disrupt the build up to this years game.

But what is it to do with the mates of these players? Its down to Andy who picks the team.

Yoda

English & European
after the first game at Southwick, at the meal, it was suggested that we try and create a NSC Albion type team which would make up teams to play the REMF team a few times a year as it was thought that as there were so many players that wouldnt get a game in the main event, it would be good to try and keep everyone together. This ended up as a team that played visiting teams supporters....PNE. Millwall, Fulham etc.

I managed it for a few games ( hence Dave The Gaffer) then Andy Rumble took over and I ended up reffing games.

I dont think it was ever really a representative of NSC per se, more a way of making sure people knew who was playing etc.

Even I remember playing in some of those games one year, ended up becoming 'fitness coach' for the main day at Withdean and last minute 'emergancy' sub as someone didn't turn up in time.

edit: this was only because I can use my left foot, so ended up playing left wing infront of Chappers.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not a clue who he is, but if he was manager last season then, yes, he would know Snoobs...

(Though, I thought Mendoza was manager last season)

I stand corrected...i thought Brett just helped out and Andy was manager.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
But what is it to do with the mates of these players? Its down to Andy who picks the team.

Nothing really, but the issues have been raised on a public forum, which is a big part of the charity.

That's why the likes of me are sticking my nose in as well.

But if it wasn't discussed on here, it gets accused of being a 'closed shop', and we go round again...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Nothing really, but the issues have been raised on a public forum, which is a big part of the charity.

That's why the likes of me are sticking my nose in as well.

But if it wasn't discussed on here, it gets accused of being a 'closed shop', and we go round again...

I wasn't stifling debate, I was interested in how it all came about...as I said, this hasnt reared its head before. I just hope it doesn't deflect from the main point in all of this...ie raising money for a good cause.

Jimmy Grimble

You haven't levelled debate out at all. You've just started moaning that your mate isn't in the team - an argument which was cleared up by the manager last week. Give it a rest.

Last year, a player impressed enough in a warm up game to make the full squad.

This year, nobody did.

No need to go over it again, unless of course you're intent on shit stirring...

No. I've levelled it out perfectly well. If it was anything to do with impressing in a warm-up game then some of the team I got together would be playing. I didn't even read the argument about by mate not being in the team, so if you could tell me how it was cleared-up it'd be appreciated. What I'm talking about is more general than the selection/non-selection of one player.

I was responding to Da Man Clay's quote 'not bad really' as a way of describing the return-rate of people making it into the REMF team after impressing (whether that should be a way of getting into the REMF side is another matter). But, the return-rate is quite bad really (in recent years) if you are meant to get into the REMF team after impressing in a warm-up game. If that was the case, why has no-one (one person, as already stated, has actually lost their place in the squad!) from the team I've got together made into it the REMF team despite players from the REMF side even admitting we impressed?

Not shit-stirring. Just questioning the ‘if you impress then you’ll get into the team’ argument.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Be honest, when you typed that, was there even the slightest hint of self-awareness or feeling of hypocrisy?

not at all.

The issue was closed last week. It's the same people trying to reopen the can of worms for seemingly no benefit to anyone other than the players who aren't in the team, certainly not the charity or its image.

It baffles me that people can't agree to let it lie for now and sort it for next year, so as to make the most of an intense 3 and a bit weeks of fundraising leading up to the main event!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As with most things, our not-so-learned friend Withdean Wanderer doesn't have much of a clue.

I can only comment on the background to the questions I asked, but my impression is that others asking questions were doing it for a very similar reason.

In short: there was an interest in understanding the selection process of the Albion's REMF team. This question arose as, this year, there seemed to be two strange omissions. One was the biggest fundraiser from last year, the other seems to be a player very highly rated by all who have played with him and/or seen him play. The manager - Andy, REMF dude - Gareth and chap-closely involved - Richie have since explained how the primary selection criteria is having played REMF football before due to the need for continuity, particularly of in-squad camaraderie. Many, who believed the goal was to raise as much money as possible, were probably slightly surprised about this but at least all now know.

As far as I'm concerned that since explanations have been given, that debate is over and all should now move on to try to raise as much from this year's game as is possible.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No. I've levelled it out perfectly well. If it was anything to do with impressing in a warm-up game then some of the team I got together would be playing. I didn't even read the argument about by mate not being in the team, so if you could tell me how it was cleared-up it'd be appreciated. What I'm talking about is more general than the selection/non-selection of one player.

I was responding to Da Man Clay's quote 'not bad really' as a way of describing the return-rate of people making it into the REMF team after impressing (whether that should be a way of getting into the REMF side is another matter). But, the return-rate is quite bad really (in recent years) if you are meant to get into the REMF team after impressing in a warm-up game. If that was the case, why has no-one (one person, as already stated, has actually lost their place in the squad!) from the team I've got together made into it the REMF team despite players from the REMF side even admitting we impressed?

Not shit-stirring. Just questioning the ‘if you impress then you’ll get into the team’ argument.

was the game you organised against the REMF X1 understood to be a "selection" type game, whereby if you played well against the REMF lot, you would be included in the squad, or was it a warm up game in the same way as the REMF would play against XYZ Rovers?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think you're hitting your head against a brick wall, Conboy. Brighton have lost, someone didn't put in a 5 star performance and that means that captain WW is back on the internet and sailing the good ship Moany Bastard.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

Who said you're meant to get into the REMF team after impressing in a warm-up game? It was cited as one example of the REMF team not being a 'closed' shop.

See - this was all debated last week, and it was agreed to knock it on the head until after the match.

You could even argue the fairness of you being able to organise a warm-up game with the mates that only you 'got-together' if you wanted, and that the chance to impress is in fact a 'closed-shop' as well.

But it's pointless, because the team has been picked and justified for this year. Start worrying about next year after this years event, rather than hindering the name of the charity, as well as many of the players and the management, simply in order to make a point that your friend should be in the team.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here