Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which players may leave in January ?

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
That’s fine cause paper talk is always accurate right.
What I’ve been told is from an impeccable source so there it is.
I know what I believe. You believe what you believe.

Why would he want to leave after all the club has done for him? Has he even produced anything this season to gain a better/bigger move?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Why would he want to leave after all the club has done for him? Has he even produced anything this season to gain a better/bigger move?

Obviously we don't know what, if anything has gone on behind the scenes this season, so things may have escalated. I agree with your post though.

Just speculation, but maybe Knocky on the playing side of things is getting frustrated because he is creating attacking moves and our forwards, midfielders are not being there to take full advantage of them.

Only the other day against Burnley, the commentator said 'great chance carved out by Knockaert, but only one Brighton player in the box', that was March who couldn't get on the cross. Where was Murray?!?!

If we show intent and succeed in buying quality forward players then maybe Knocky will settle back into the groove!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
All I will say on the Knockaert saga is this . . . I don't believe that he does want to leave, but this situation is almost a mirror image of what happened at Leicester. He had a cracking first season with them, helped them into the Premier League, then very quickly lost his way in the top flight, lost his place to Mahrez, then left in a hissy fit for Standard Liege.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Along with the other players with clauses to match the highest earners who will sign new contracts whenever we break the transfer record.

I don't believe enough attention has been paid to this fact. It is the main reason we haven't been able to sign a star striker, as instead of costing us £20k a week more than the next highest player he ends up costing something like £100k more. These are really silly clauses to include.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
And this would be the first time a player did this? As a reference point see Gerrard and the Chelsea saga

I get what you're saying (and I didn't believe the 'I'll never leave' stuff from AK at the time), but Gerrard possibly isn't the BEST example, given he didn't ever leave for Chelsea...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All I will say on the Knockaert saga is this . . . I don't believe that he does want to leave, but this situation is almost a mirror image of what happened at Leicester. He had a cracking first season with them, helped them into the Premier League, then very quickly lost his way in the top flight, lost his place to Mahrez, then left in a hissy fit for Standard Liege.
A 'hissy fit' so he could be playing at a team closer to his really ill father.

Knockaert asking for a transfer makes very little sense.

He is playing nearly every week in the PL, and none of the top teams would be interested in him.

So who is trying to lure him away ? Stoke ? West Brom ? Swansea ? Surely he doesn't want to go back to the Championship ?

Doesn't make any sense on any level, sounds more like a late April Fools joke.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ryan, too short
Suttner, can’t defend
Schelotto, bit rubbish
Bruno, too old
Knocky, too petulant
March, lost his way
Propper, never plays in his best position
Izquierdo, didn’t celebrate
Baldock, sick note
Murray, doesn’t score
Maenpaa, once we are out of the FA Cup

Whilst we are at it, Hughton, too defensive

That leaves lots of room to transform our great club

:lolol:

But I fear you missed a couple out:

Stephens, keeps losing possession; won’t pass forward; won’t shoot
Brown, lazy
Hemed, not as good as Murray with his back to goal

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol:

But I fear you missed a couple out:

Stephens, keeps losing possession; won’t pass forward; won’t shoot
Brown, lazy
Hemed, not as good as Murray with his back to goal
Who, oddly, isn't as good as Murray with his back to goal. :shrug:

Still no Bong, so it's hardly a complete list of the 'get rids'.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don't believe enough attention has been paid to this fact. It is the main reason we haven't been able to sign a star striker, as instead of costing us £20k a week more than the next highest player he ends up costing something like £100k more. These are really silly clauses to include.

Are you sure this is the blocker. We didn't sign a striker in the last window because one failed a medical, one failed to be replaced by his team despite agreeing terms to come here so wasn't allowed to leave and one agreed terms with his agent only to not fancy it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That’s fine cause paper talk is always accurate right.
What I’ve been told is from an impeccable source so there it is.
I know what I believe. You believe what you believe.

Yep. But this isn't paper talk - its reporting of what Hughton and Knockaert have said , in public.
So they are both , apparently , lying ? or have clearly done a good job of both lining up consistent stories if they're covering up something else.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Not really a mirror image as at Leicester he was barely playing in that first season in the Prem, often not making the bench . He's been a virtual ever present for Albion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sold - Murphy
Loaned - Skalak, Baldock, Goldson

Think there is a chance they might loan out Baldock toward the end of the window if they can secure a pacey striker to prove his fitness and get some game time with a more long term view being taken in the summer. Skalak will be sold if we can find someone to take him, my expectation is we won't unless a middling Championship club fancies a punt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This has already been said but he was offered a contract extension at Leicester, but didn't sign it. Instead he went to Standard Liege in Belgium, which if you check on a map is fairly close to Roubaix, which in on the French/Belgium border. His father was ill, but recovered so Knocky came to us, 6 months later (but very close to Gatwick/Dover).

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

Obviously we don't know what, if anything has gone on behind the scenes this season, so things may have escalated. I agree with your post though.

Just speculation, but maybe Knocky on the playing side of things is getting frustrated because he is creating attacking moves and our forwards, midfielders are not being there to take full advantage of them.

Only the other day against Burnley, the commentator said 'great chance carved out by Knockaert, but only one Brighton player in the box', that was March who couldn't get on the cross. Where was Murray?!?!

If we show intent and succeed in buying quality forward players then maybe Knocky will settle back into the groove!

Might just be that AK isn't PL quality.

Time will tell.

A 'hissy fit' so he could be playing at a team closer to his really ill father.

Knockaert asking for a transfer makes very little sense.

He is playing nearly every week in the PL, and none of the top teams would be interested in him.

So who is trying to lure him away ? Stoke ? West Brom ? Swansea ? Surely he doesn't want to go back to the Championship ?

Doesn't make any sense on any level, sounds more like a late April Fools joke.

Based solely on this seasons form and attitude, would we miss him?

Maybe if he went the shackles would come off the other wingers?

Just a thought.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Walton back to replace Maenpaa
Goldson and Skalak loan
Baldock sold as CH seems to not want him in the squad

Will make room for a couple.

I wonder what it will take to make you back off from this one?
As mentioned to you just a couple of days ago, there is a very good reason why he's not in the squad but it's none of our business, so let the club deal with it rather than making fake reasons up like 'Hughton doesn't want him'

... or do you feel personal reasons relating to footballers should be mandatory public knowledge?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here