Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which players aren’t good enough for the Graham Potter revolution?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
His career has not stalled, IMO.
It just hasn't taken the path, many of us thought it would, when he was one of the best young prospects in the country.
This happens a lot.
He has developed into a solid premier league player, but not into a devastating winger.

He may well be off, but I think Potter sees him as a good squad option.

Solid Premier league player he isn't. He is without doubt one of the most disappointing home grown players I've seen. He crossing is often poor and set pieces. Hardly creates assists and never scores. He can ghost past 2 or 3 players with ease at times and you think wow but this this as rare as rocking horse shit.
When will we see him actually fulfil his potential considering he is 26 now? He career has stalled as mentioned.
He was devastating when he was brought on as a sub away to Birmingham but how long ago was that ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Primarily due to the fact that he's much less a ball-playing defender than Webster is/White will be - hence him being benched in favour of Webster and only appearing when we need to shore things up.

I don't think many would be happy to see him go, as he's been one HELL of a player for us over the past few years, but I wouldn't blame him for moving on, esp with White coming back.

Can I propose an alternative explanation? This doesn't alter your point, but I think it's important, and might even be the primary reason. Both Duffy and Dunk are slow, Webster is rapid. Potter wants to play a far higher defensive line than Hughton, and D&D are diamonds in a deep defensive block, bodies-on-the-line style of defending. If you play a higher line, you can't play both. Dunk is a consummate footballer, and probably our best player, so he will be first pick, which means that Duffy won't be picked. And Duffy is too good a player to be sat on the bench for 75% of our games. He deserves to be playing PL football, and PL clubs will be interested. The club shouldn't stand in his way if he wants to go, which I suspect he will.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Can I propose an alternative explanation? This doesn't alter your point, but I think it's important, and might even be the primary reason. Both Duffy and Dunk are slow, Webster is rapid. Potter wants to play a far higher defensive line than Hughton, and D&D are diamonds in a deep defensive block, bodies-on-the-line style of defending. If you play a higher line, you can't play both. Dunk is a consummate footballer, and probably our best player, so he will be first pick, which means that Duffy won't be picked. And Duffy is too good a player to be sat on the bench for 75% of our games. He deserves to be playing PL football, and PL clubs will be interested. The club shouldn't stand in his way if he wants to go, which I suspect he will.

Very, very good points there.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Stephens ok for squad , at least he can bring a bit of bite .

Proper not up to it at all.
AJ should go
Burn is ok all be it safety first , can improve LB / LWB for sure

CM , LB + Striker minimum

Over several windows you could cut a lot in reality unless happy to struggle constantly

Tpacw10

Jul 17, 2020
Lancing
Think Stephens and Duffy will join Hughton at Bristol City.

And if that's the case, Bristol City could do much worse than that! As for the general question, i don't know if they're not good enough players, but maybe just not suited for GP. I really thought AJ for example would have a really strong 2nd half of season after that stellar Xmas period he had. But that kind of wide attacking player just doesn't do it for Potter. Which is also why Knockaert was never going to work (whatever the issue with attitude) and why Izquierdo, even if healthy, would struggle i think...

maynardsg

May 18, 2009
Proper. Has been caught out a few times now, switches off, always has a mistake in him when playing from the back

Dale. Great pro. Great guy. But is too often chasing shadows. We can and should do better than Dale Stevens.

Matty Ryan, this choice hurts. He’s a great Aussie character, but it’s always nerve wracking watching him short passes. I also feel you want your goalie to make some worldies. Conceded too many soft goals.

Which players do you think Potter will ship out?

Interesting...I had Ryan as my players of the season!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Solid Premier league player he isn't. He is without doubt one of the most disappointing home grown players I've seen. He crossing is often poor and set pieces. Hardly creates assists and never scores. He can ghost past 2 or 3 players with ease at times and you think wow but this this as rare as rocking horse shit.
When will we see him actually fulfil his potential considering he is 26 now? He career has stalled as mentioned.
He was devastating when he was brought on as a sub away to Birmingham but how long ago was that ?[/QUOTE]

Your response, proves my point. His career hasn't developed in the way we all thought it would when he was 20.

Rarely, if ever has he been brought on to play that role in the premier league.
However West Ham away this season, is a fine example of a game where he has been brought on to change a game.

And he did.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I heard that. I thought he signed a one year deal just a few months ago - did I imagine that?

Nope you are not wrong.
A hasty 1 year extension was agreed, when Forest were sniffing about in January.
Lots of rumours that his agent played an absolute blinder, as we had failed to procure any backup (again).

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Why is no-one saying Mooy? He is doing my head in recently, either not arsed or completely unfit.

That Gross / Mooy combo last night was so immobile it was unbelievable

I agree it's frustrating but it's also not his or Gross's fault? I'm getting tired of seeing Mooy and Gross playing slightly wider of the 2 CM's, but I'm not going to blame them for their bad performances as they're being played out of position. I don't think it's for not trying, it's just they can't hurt teams as much from wider areas. Same with Mac when he comes on. To make it even worse for Mooy, his width is supposedly BDB down the left, so when a team sits back, a bit like Newcastle last night he has hardly any outlets. Gone are the first 10 games of the season when teams hadn't worked us out and it allowed Mooy/Gross to receive the ball between the lines and then turn and look to play.

Personally, (despite my love of Propper) I'd have had Mooy playing alongside Bissouma or Stephens in the last couple of games as Propper has been out of form. It's also where Mooy had success for Huddersfield.

Up to Potter to play people in the right positions to get the most out of them. Expecting him to dispense with his compact formations and be a bit braver next season. E.g. 1 or 2 natural wide players actually playing out wide and getting a no.10 closer to Maupay (with wide players as well).

i wonder if Macca will want to stay. He doesnt seem to be playing great football. maybe he's still adjusting to being in a foreign country and the impact of the break meaning hes not had much time to gel with the rest of the squad. after all the forore to get him here i would hate for him to stay next season and get dropped.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
i wonder if Macca will want to stay. He doesnt seem to be playing great football. maybe he's still adjusting to being in a foreign country and the impact of the break meaning hes not had much time to gel with the rest of the squad. after all the forore to get him here i would hate for him to stay next season and get dropped.

He has had limited playing time, because Potter is carefully managing his introduction to English football.
The club are very good at developing our players for the rigours of the premier league.

There have been plenty of glimpses of his technical skill, vision and self belief.
I suspect there is a strong possibility that he will emerge as a significant player for us during next season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
There have been plenty of glimpses of his technical skill, vision and self belief.
I suspect there is a strong possibility that he will emerge as a significant player for us during next season.

haha deffo a blue and white tinted spectacles. I expect every player we sign is a world beater until proven otherwise to you.

Not knocking it , its good to be like that.

What do you think of AJ out of interest ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree it's frustrating but it's also not his or Gross's fault? I'm getting tired of seeing Mooy and Gross playing slightly wider of the 2 CM's, but I'm not going to blame them for their bad performances as they're being played out of position. I don't think it's for not trying, it's just they can't hurt teams as much from wider areas. Same with Mac when he comes on. To make it even worse for Mooy, his width is supposedly BDB down the left, so when a team sits back, a bit like Newcastle last night he has hardly any outlets. Gone are the first 10 games of the season when teams hadn't worked us out and it allowed Mooy/Gross to receive the ball between the lines and then turn and look to play.

Personally, (despite my love of Propper) I'd have had Mooy playing alongside Bissouma or Stephens in the last couple of games as Propper has been out of form. It's also where Mooy had success for Huddersfield.

Up to Potter to play people in the right positions to get the most out of them. Expecting him to dispense with his compact formations and be a bit braver next season. E.g. 1 or 2 natural wide players actually playing out wide and getting a no.10 closer to Maupay (with wide players as well).

^This

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
haha deffo a blue and white tinted spectacles. I expect every player we sign is a world beater until proven otherwise to you.

Not knocking it , its good to be like that.

What do you think of AJ out of interest ?

Yeah I'm very optimistic and tend to focus on the positives with all of our players.

In regards to AJ:
I think he is very decent, technically.
But like most wingers, he is inconsistent.
I don't think he has been given a decent run in the team to make any real judgements though tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here