Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which other championship owners have the resolve of Tony in January

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A scoop might be signing Dale Stephens on a contract? It still surprises me that he does not protect himself from injuries by signing a shorter contract with a release clause. It seems like a win-win situation if he does.

Not that he has been playing particularly well.

seagulls.co.uk and the argus seem to be very slightly focusing more on Dale. You never know, maybe his pen is getting closer to the dotted line on the contract.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
seagulls.co.uk and the argus seem to be very slightly focusing more on Dale. You never know, maybe his pen is getting closer to the dotted line on the contract.

If he can get a cause that allows him to move for >£5m to a prem team, if we are unsuccessful, then I'm sure he would consider it.

If we lock him down, then he is better off walking away at the end of the season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If he can get a cause that allows him to move for >£5m to a prem team, if we are unsuccessful, then I'm sure he would consider it.

If we lock him down, then he is better off walking away at the end of the season.

I agree, but that would mean we possibly wouldn't pay any sort of signing on fee to him if he can just up and go in 6 months ? ???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

He is still gambling. He could get injured (and he has been injured before) and be out of contract and nobody wishing to sign him?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He is still gambling. He could get injured (and he has been injured before) and be out of contract and nobody wishing to sign him?

Which is why I think there might still be a deal to be done.
A trade off between Money back for the club, signing on fee and freedom to move if we don't go up, measured against some security for DS against injury.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Been noticing this as well, was in the Fulham programme, quite a few recent interviews and articles popping up. Biggest indication will be him doing a pre-match.

CH in Times this morning says "''...what we will do in January will be minimal."

Is anyone seriously surprised with this?
One things for sure after our festive wobble is that we sit around with our thumbs up our ring during the January window.Boro went all in with Rhodes last January,They got promoted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Enough to purchase a player that is regarded good value for money, which is unlikely in January.

Conventional wisdom is to invest in one player to cement the challenge, but CH has already indicated that purchasing a striker is unlikely.

where has CH or anyone from the club ruled out or indicated that strengthening the squad in January is "unlikely" ?
The few interviews with TB or Barber on the subject have been quite the opposite.

Here's Bloom being about as explicit as he probably could, a few weeks ago.

“We are doing really well in the table, so we are not going to sell any players that we do not wish to sell in January.”
We were the highest scorers last season. I know our defensive record stands out this season, because we have got the best record by far, but we have scored a decent amount of goals and our strikers are very good.
“But it could be an area that we strengthen in January.”
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14873243.Seagulls_stars_are_not_for_sale_insists_Bloom/

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Newcastle, Villa and Norwich have the dosh from parachute payments.
Derby will have to sell to buy. Leeds are stingy.
Reading are prudent and their TV parachute money has run out.
Fulham and QPR may have some cash but their days of spending seem to be over.

We would also have competition from the Premier League lower orders?

Why's that?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is anyone seriously surprised with this?
One things for sure after our festive wobble is that we sit around with our thumbs up our ring during the January window.Boro went all in with Rhodes last January,They got promoted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes and of course last year we signed 2 players who rebooted our season after that wobble...who imho had a greater impact that the Rhodes signing

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What, like we did last January? Nothing but Knocky and Skalak for our pains? Poor effort that was, eh?

A good effort, but failed to land the oh so ****ing obviously needed striker, which would have got us over the line. Let's not make the same mistake twice, eh? Complacency...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A good effort, but failed to land the oh so ****ing obviously needed striker, which would have got us over the line. Let's not make the same mistake twice, eh? Complacency...
So signing two quality wide midfielders to increase the supply of quality chances to our four first team forwards was complacency? After which, we started to rip teams apart (and I don't think we'd won by a margin of more than one goal up to then). Yep, really complacent....................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here