Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which of our fringe midfielders do you think are most likely to have a breakout season next year?

Which of our fringe midfielders do you think are most likely to have a breakout season next year?

• Total voters

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Which of our fringe players do you think could play their way into our starting 11 over the course of next season?

I know Facu and Billy have started a few games recently but this has been down to injuries to other players, but generally, our midfield has been a combination of Mac Allister, Caicedo, Gross & Lallana when fit.

I've limited it to 3 votes each, it's actually quite hard!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m not sure if any of us have any idea. Who would have predicted the current crop of youngsters before they broke into the team ? Unless of course you see them in training and can read RDZ’s mind over formation.. I’m very much in the armchair football experts are actually clueless camp. I just like to watch the end product

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Gilmour has looked absolutely ready for the first team over the last few weeks. Not just ready but ready to excel.
Almost certain off that list Buonaotte and Ayari will get good loans and Khadra will be off.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If Alimac or Moises go, wee Billy will be a starter. I also believe this season that Lallana when fit, has always been first choice for the AM role. I fancy Sarmiento to have a say in that next season :wink:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Moder if he can get really fit is the best player on that list, but I wouldn't call him a fringe player- he would've played LOTS if he hadn't got injured.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Moder if he can get really fit is the best player on that list, but I wouldn't call him a fringe player- he would've played LOTS if he hadn't got injured.

Yeah that's a fair point, I just think after an injury lay off he's back on the fringes of the squad and will have to play his way in. I agree he's a brilliant player. Same goes for Alzate, he's played plenty of Premier League games for us and done really well, but after his loan he'll be back on the fringes and will have to play his way into the team.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Only 3 votes?

Plus surely Gilmour has 'arrived'?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yeah that's a fair point, I just think after an injury lay off he's back on the fringes of the squad and will have to play his way in. I agree he's a brilliant player. Same goes for Alzate, he's played plenty of Premier League games for us and done really well, but after his loan he'll be back on the fringes and will have to play his way into the team.
The whole Alzate thing is just off. Felt forced out with Potter, very reluctant to give him a go in his best position. Seems very suited to RDZ. But you gotta think he's thinking I want out of this club..we will see.
Think it's easy to forget both Alzate and Moder- they're the most first team ready of this list but the injury for one and just general disrespect towards the other creates uncertainty.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Are you mad? He'll probably be champing at the bit to work with RDZ and show him what he can do!
To an extent. Interviews have suggested he's a bit miffed by what went on in August/September.
Not all players will be either excited by or loyal to a manger they've never played for.
I hope you're right though because I think as a pivot he's an exceptional squad option. Probably wouldve played at RB this season too.

Buonanotte surely has enough regular game time not to be thought of as fringe. Can see him replacing Mac and I'm not sure there will be a huge gulf to be honest

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gilmour has a massive opportunity to shine in our final 4 games, and - on a personal level - he must be heartened by RDZ's comments about us facing up to life without MacAllister and Caicedo.

I don't think Buonanotte will go out on loan; I think he'll stay like Enciso.

As for the rest, it depends on who gets injured and who gets an opportunity.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Gilmour has a massive opportunity to shine in our final 4 games, and - on a personal level - he must be heartened by RDZ's comments about us facing up to life without MacAllister and Caicedo.

I don't think Buonanotte will go out on loan; I think he'll stay like Enciso.

As for the rest, it depends on who gets injured and who gets an opportunity.
Thing about Buonaotte is (and I rate him, he already has a great touch and vision) under any metric he simply isn't better (yet) than at least Moder, Alzate, Adingra, Kacper probably even Weir too. That's not to say he won't be, but we (supporters) seem to have this attitude where we go 'young players in first team squad good, young players out on loan not so good'. But look at Kacper - been a star player in the Dutch league, has incredible pedigree from a very young age etc,.now supposedly being watched by Bayern and Man City. Or look at Alzate- we already know he can contribute at both DM, CM and RB.
So you have to create a viable and sensible pathway for him. Unless you say- actually this kid is the real deal and him playing maybe 5 games over a season is more valuable to the squad than having players of genuine class who are first team ready. The young players around the first team now- Peupion is a great example- aren't the best young players at the club, they're just the best young players who aren't on loan.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Thing about Buonaotte is (and I rate him, he already has a great touch and vision) under any metric he simply isn't better (yet) than at least Moder, Alzate, Adingra, Kacper probably even Weir too. That's not to say he won't be, but we (supporters) seem to have this attitude where we go 'young players in first team squad good, young players out on loan not so good'. But look at Kacper - been a star player in the Dutch league, has incredible pedigree from a very young age etc,.now supposedly being watched by Bayern and Man City. Or look at Alzate- we already know he can contribute at both DM, CM and RB.
So you have to create a viable and sensible pathway for him. Unless you say- actually this kid is the real deal and him playing maybe 5 games over a season is more valuable to the squad than having players of genuine class who are first team ready. The young players around the first team now- Peupion is a great example- aren't the best young players at the club, they're just the best young players who aren't on loan.
I take your point but there are a handful of players that are a) gifted and b) already on the international stage where it is better to keep them at the club, especially when the manager feels they can contribute to the 1st XI in a big way.

Imagine where we'd be if Enciso and Ferguson had gone out on loan this season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I take your point but there are a handful of players that are a) gifted and b) already on the international stage where it is better to keep them at the club, especially when the manager feels they can contribute to the 1st XI in a big way.

Imagine where we'd be if Enciso and Ferguson had gone out on loan this season.
Absolutely agree. Both those players are clearly (in hindsight) first team ready. I guess my point is that each season a lot of the younger players feature because they're the only option, not because they're ready. With players like Dahoud and Milner joining I do think it's likely we'll see a shift towards a more balanced squad age wise, with the likes of Enciso and Ferguson adding the youthful verve. I just think it's circumstance that means the likes of Peupion and Buonaotte are anywhere near the first team..next year will be the same. Come Christmas and fatigue it won't be the best players contracted to the club that will get on the bench, it'll be the next line of young players who happen to be here rather than on loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here