Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Which NSCer should Goldstone1976 take on his 10 year anniversary dinner ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Definitely deserves it's own thread :wink:

Thompson, St Albans - 3 AA Rosettes

I've never really understood the point of AA rosettes. Surely all you need is Michelin &/or Good Food Guide rating? Anyway, Thompson seems proud to be the 'only 3 rosette restaurant in Herts'.

My mother and I took the GLDHI there for her birthday. They do only set menus: a 7- and 9-course veggie, and a 7- and 9-course non-veggie.

The preprandial cocktails were very good, particularly the non-alcoholic one ordered by the GLDHI (she's with child, hence the lack of alcohol).

They showed the highest degree of flexibility around their set menus that I've ever seen - swapping courses between the veggie and non-veggie, and between the 7- and 9-course menus with a cheery smile and an 'of course; that's fine'.

The food quality was really very good. Michelin 1 star? No, not quite - but headed in that direction. Wine list decent, with low mark-up. A definite keeper.

Next up - Kitchen Table 10-year anniversary dinner on Thursday. Their attitude to altering their set menu is equally legendary ('F*** off. I put a lot of work into getting this menu right; just eat it' being the sentiment if not the words). The GLDHI can no longer come due to the temporary dietary restrictions, so I'll be taking a mate instead. If I can find one.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?392714-Restaurant-Thread-2022&p=10399443&viewfull=1#post10399443

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well, I have to concede that my phrasing was ambiguous. For the avoidance of doubt, it’s Kitchen Table’s 10th anniversary, not the GLDHI’s and mine.

Sorry!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, I have to concede that my phrasing was ambiguous. For the avoidance of doubt, it’s Kitchen Table’s 10th anniversary, not the GLDHI’s and mine.

Sorry!

And I was looking forward to you telling GLDHI that for your tenth anniversary, NSC had decided that you should take XXXX out to dinner :(

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Sorry!
Well then I'm out

Sorry

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My tastes are too cheap to appreciate the wine :wink:

Sandia, the chef James’s wife, sommelier & front of house curates the best grower champagne list I’ve ever seen. For this short series of meals (showcasing their most popular dishes over the last decade) to celebrate their 10th, she’s put together a flight comprising entirely champagne, including stills and sweets. It should be amazing.

You’d love it. Probably.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sandia, the chef James’s wife, sommelier & front of house curates the best grower champagne list I’ve ever seen. For this short series of meals (showcasing their most popular dishes over the last decade) to celebrate their 10th, she’s put together a flight comprising entirely champagne, including stills and sweets. It should be amazing.

You’d love it. Probably.

I like Red and bubbles make me sneeze :shrug:

:wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My tastes are too cheap to appreciate the wine :wink:

On a ski clinic in Tignes one time, I remained quiet listening over dinner as two wine snobs (they’d never met each other before that week) spent time trying to out do each other in their knowledge of french wines. Not in a friendly way.

Boasts about attending Jancis Robinson courses, were met by counter boasts of being taught by Malcolm Gluck, then I think Oz Clarke was name checked. Also trying to surpass each other on the number of châteaux visited.

I secretly loved the silliness of it all.

Jul 7, 2003
Come on, we all know his true foodie love is [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION].

They will lock eyes over a starter of offal and have a lovely evening together.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
On a ski clinic in Tignes one time, I remained quiet listening over dinner as two wine snobs (they’d never met each other before that week) spent time trying to out do each other in their knowledge of french wines. Not in a friendly way.

Boasts about attending Jancis Robinson courses, were met by counter boasts of being taught by Malcolm Gluck, then I think Oz Clarke was name checked. Also trying to surpass each other on the number of châteaux visited.

1st rule of skiing, make sure there at least two chalet reds, preferably three (real wine snob, me) :wink:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Kitchen Table? GLDHI?
This is clearly some sort of code for rich people. I am not one of those and I therefore feel unqualified to take part.
Shouldn't the OP be banned for starting a thread about another poster?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unfortunately I'm in the Balkans on Thursday.

Anyone want some meat and Slivovitz bringing back?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

That was Goldstone and I.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Unfortunately I'm in the Balkans on Thursday.

Anyone want some meat and Slivovitz bringing back?

About twenty years ago there was a great layered filo pastry and meat thing they served for breakfast with a runny yogurt in the country regions just outside Belgrade in Serbia. It tasted better than it sounds.

Suppose there's no chance of a doggy bag of that ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here