Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which match at The Goldstone?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Good work as usual AZ.
Fans sitting in front of the hoardings in the lower photo.

From the same edition of the BHACHS newsletter mentioned above, Tim Carder's 4th part of "A History of Albion Crowd Disorder"

1234.jpg

This would perhaps explain why there would be so many people pitchside.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I'm sure it was the Spurs game, I was there with my Father in law in the NW corner and ended up in the South Stand via the pitch as it all kicked off! Pretty sure it was due to the trouble at this game that caused the fences to be put up, worse trouble I'd ever seen at The Goldstone up to that point. Loads of their fans had come down Friday evening and caused a lot of trouble in town that night. The game was a cracker and the best reply to the Spurs tossers that caused all the trouble.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
In 1977/78 from memory, weren’t away fans located in the SE end of the chicken run? The caged NE corner came a bit later.

Feb 78 the away fans were definitely in the NE corner, as I was sat on the wall at the bottom when Eric Potts scored twice in the last few minutes to beat Sunderland. I walked down the touchline pretty sharpish. Not sure what my 12 year old fascination was with being by the away fans - maybe it was the closest I could get to being in the 'dangerous' north stand without actually being there!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thanks.

Do you remember away fans being in the south stand.

When I first went in 75/76, they were given say 40% of the SS (the east side). Which then was a terrace at the front and seating to the rear.

I remember the South Stand terrace, but can't remember seeing away fans there. Being so young I probably didn't take much notice though.
I'm sure there was a group of Albion fans behind the South Stand goal that would sing.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
If it was Blackburn, I was there.

We drew 0-0

I think?

Maybe

Looks like a goal celebration I think it might be the spurs game with all the trouble in the north stand which would explain the crowds on the Redgra surrounding the pitch.Clarky scored a great solo run goal that game but not 100%if that’s the game and also don’t ever remember him wear 10 shirt is it even Paul Clarke? Just had another look it’s defo Paul Clarke

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
We also played Charlton on 13th April 1979 - think it was Good Friday and nearly 31,000 were there (including me) Clark scored our first in a vital 2-0 win. Seem to remember the second was an og.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
the OB did a great job keeping the Spurs fans off he pitch in the NE corner

with Spurs down to 10 men & losing they tried to get the match abandoned

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I remember the South Stand terrace, but can't remember seeing away fans there. Being so young I probably didn't take much notice though.
I'm sure there was a group of Albion fans behind the South Stand goal that would sing.

There was,I used to stand on the SW corner with my old man

the only time there was aggro was against West Ham in 1978
they didn't take too kindly to those West Ham chaps being behind the goal

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I'm sure there was a group of Albion fans behind the South Stand goal that would sing.[/QUOTE

Palace fans were housed in the South Stand when we played them in Feb 1976.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

My second Albion match was against CP in Feb76. Palace had been handed half the SS.

We won 2-0 under lights, 33,000 plus the rest, a magical night for a kid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sure there was a group of Albion fans behind the South Stand goal that would sing.[/QUOTE

Genuinely didn’t your post, until mine. I recall the same.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My second Albion match was against CP in Feb76. Palace had been handed half the SS.

We won 2-0 under lights, 33,000 plus the rest, a magical night for a kid.

I've got a match ticket for that game, I don't remember going through, my dad must have given it to me.
I only went to Saturday matches when I was a kid.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Reading through the thread again it looks like the photo is from the Spurs match.
Thanks to everyone that replied.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've got a match ticket for that game, I don't remember going through, my dad must have given it to me.
I only went to Saturday matches when I was a kid.

It was the Goldstone evening matches and evening England matches at Wembley (school trips ... a convoy of coaches), from 1976, that got me hooked most of all. In those days, stadia seemed magical for a kid, lit up from miles away from giant floodlight pylons at club grounds. I used to literally dream in my sleep of those Wembley matches, 92,000 (the night time capacity) chanting “England”.

The addiction was aided by seeing mainly winning football under Taylor then Mullery, I got lucky.

Might’ve been an entirely different story if my first matches had been under Clough or Hyppia!

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I would also say the spurs game was absolutely rammed in all stands. I was in the south and it kicked as spurs fans were in there as well. Got grabbed and pulled backwards I turned round and it was my old man. Only time I think he ever protected me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017

That would make sense

back then I would have usually been in there,but was definately in the North for that game
can vividly remember Sammy Morgan's side footed goal from about 3 yards out

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
It was the Goldstone evening matches and evening England matches at Wembley (school trips ... a convoy of coaches), from 1976, that got me hooked most of all. In those days, stadia seemed magical for a kid, lit up from miles away from giant floodlight pylons at club grounds. I used to literally dream in my sleep of those Wembley matches, 92,000 (the night time capacity) chanting “England”.

The addiction was aided by seeing mainly winning football under Taylor then Mullery, I got lucky.

Might’ve been an entirely different story if my first matches had been under Clough or Hyppia!

I know what you mean

Palace,Ipswich & Derby were fantastic games under the floodlights back in 1976
what a great season that was

I've probably only seen England play about 10 times,all night games
bar my very first trip to Wembley for a schoolboy international circa 1974

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That would make sense

back then I would have usually been in there,but was definately in the North for that game
can vividly remember Sammy Morgan's side footed goal from about 3 yards out

Can you remember that evening at all, apart from that?

I was small and at the front of the mass packed Chicken Run. When their star winger Peter Taylor came to get the ball for throw ins, boy he was abused. I loved that so much. Bad kid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here