Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which manager's appointment made you MOST excited?

which managerial appointment made you most excited when they were apppointed?

• Gus Poyet

Votes: 49 44.5%
  • Russell Slade

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Micky Adams (2nd time)

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • Dean Wilkins

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Mark Mcghee

• Steve Coppell

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Martin Hinshelwood

• Peter Taylor

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Micky Adams (1st time)

• Jeff Wood

• Brian Horton

• Steve Gritt

• Jimmy Case

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Liam Brady

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • Barry Lloyd

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Since 1993, which manager's appointment MOST excited you AT THE TIME OF HIS APPOINTMENT?

Last edited:

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I think despite how it eventually turned out Adams coming back was probably the most exciting for me. Slightly tainted of course with the treatment of Wilkins (although lets not start that again) but generally I think most were extremely excited at the prospect.

Poyet was exciting but an element of trepidation as he was so inexperienced when it came to management. To get that big a name in the footballing world though gave everyone a lift.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Got to say Brady. After being subjected to Barry Lloyd for all those years it really felt like a brand new optimistic new start.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the appointment of Peter Taylor in 2001 was exciting as it was a possibility then that we were going to do well that season and that we were finally on the up having been in the depths of despair.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
At the time Brady and I can remember his first home game upon arriving at the Goldstone and seeing the players doing a fitness/skills routine on the pitch, something that we see every game nowadays. Added to the fact he was already a famous person who I remember vividly as a youngter seeing him play on TV.

However, I think I was more excited when Gus got the job, couldn't quite believe he had chosen to come to our club.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
To have a legend like Brady taking over from very average Bazza was incredibly exciting. It caused a real buzz around the club. Just a shame the club was in such rotten hands.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think I've ever been excited by a managerial appointment.

Gus Poyet
Dean Wilkins
Martin Hinshelwood
Jeff Wood
Jimmy Case
Russell Slade

were all, as far as I knew at the time unproven.

Micky Adams (1st time)
Brian Horton
Steve Gritt
Liam Brady
Steve Coppell

I didn't really know much about them, saw them as the equivalent of journeymen managers.

Micky Adams (2nd time), I was annoyed at Dean Wilkins being "betrayed".

Mark Mcghee
Peter Taylor

While they had success at a higher level, the fact they were dropping down to us didn't bode well for their options at a higher level, it wasn't like they saw us as a better option, more as the only option and so I didn't think of them as invested in the club.

I don't remember us having a manager before Barry Lloyd, I'm pretty sure he was in charge when I started watching.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I shat the bet when I heard Martin Hinshelwood was going to be our manager :moo: :shit:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Must admit to Mickey Adams' second coming.

I didn't believe any of those saying never go back and really thought he was going to re-create his first spell at the club which up until now was by far my most enjoyable time following the Albion. How wrong I was!!

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
For me it was Nobby Horton's return. It was the only positive news we had back then and he had far too good a footballing managemnet pedigree to be managing us (at Gillingham) at the time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For me it was Nobby Horton's return. It was the only positive news we had back then and he had far too good a footballing managemnet pedigree to be managing us (at Gillingham) at the time.

I was 10/11 at the time and my dad said to me, "son, we're not going to be so terrible any more, we've appointed Brian Horton". I was very happy, Jeff Wood was dire. :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Micky Adams 1, absolutely perfect for us at the time. I was actually more excited about that than Poyet as I really had no idea if Poyet would be any good, Adams had an almost impeccable record when he took us over and we were starting to feel good about ourselves with a return to Brighton on the horizon

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Mickey Adams coming back gave me the most excitement knowing what he did the first time around...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Gus, although like others I was very excited when Micky came back.

I remember going to the Worthing pre-season friendly that season, the sun was shining, Micky was back, "Keep The Faith" over the PA System.....felt like the start of something absolutely massive at the time.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Brady, then Adams 1 then Adams 2.

Brady had been a fantastic player and out of his depth at Celtic but we hoped he would give us passion. Adams first time came with a superb record at Fulham. Adams second time - I hoped he could deliver again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here