Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which, if any, development squad prospects will feature in the first team?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lets get this right I have no grudge against Dunk but as he is now at the best 4th choice centre back this does nobody any good least of all him, sat on the bench with little or no chance of playing. If he went out on loan he would possibly develop more and quicker and then come back as a potential 1st choice which he is a long way off right now IMHO. We would all then benefit.

Oct 25, 2003
So of the 4 players you've mentioned, the one with 50 appearances for a top 6 Championship side, who got called up to the national under 21 side, is the player who should go out on loan to a third tier side. Meanwhile March who, granted, is highly admired by the staff but little to nothing is known about by the supporters, he's the one who'd make your 18? Your grudge against Dunk is very, very strange.

i like dunk but i kind of agree with BG. Dunk is behind Upson and Greer for a place in the first team, with El-Abd more than likely to be preferred for a subs spot (as he is, admittedly at a push, more versatile). Going out on loan to a League 1 side, where he'd get into most starting XI's would surely benefit his career more than not playing at all. The last year has been tough for him due to his off-field issues, so maybe he needs to be playing regular football again.

March is in a completely different position (and, from all accounts, can cover several positions), and one where it's a bit more acceptable to rotate players and experiment....not sure you can compare the two

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
i like dunk but i kind of agree with BG. Dunk is behind Upson and Greer for a place in the first team, with El-Abd more than likely to be preferred for a subs spot (as he is, admittedly at a push, more versatile). Going out on loan to a League 1 side, where he'd get into most starting XI's would surely benefit his career more than not playing at all. The last year has been tough for him due to his off-field issues, so maybe he needs to be playing regular football again.

March is in a completely different position (and, from all accounts, can cover several positions), and one where it's a bit more acceptable to rotate players and experiment....not sure you can compare the two

This is the most exciting thing about this current period though, there's no preconceptions for Oscar - the players can set or even reset their standard now and, if Oscar likes that standard and they can maintain it, they can be first team players. If their standard isn't good enough then they'll be allowed to develop, with the amount of time they are given dependent on potential, consistency, age etc etc..

I'm praying Ince can breakthrough, he looks like he has everything to be a great centreback..

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Once again this is a very interesting read WJ. In fact, the only point I would take exception to is the description of Dunk as athletic, which IMO he most certainly isn't. He is void of meaningful pace and generates limited spring in his jump. I would actually say his main attribute is his reading of the game.

Out of all those mentioned I think Solly March will get opportunities mainly due to the injury prone nature of KLL and Buckley. March looks good on the ball and coming late off the bench may be a threat. The 'dark horse' in terms of playing time maybe Ince. If Bridcutt gets injured or dare I say leaves, I would like to see him given the opportunity.

JFC should get some time, but despite his undoubted talent is very lightweight. Based on what I've seen I'm not sure Dickenson or Barker are good enough. I remain on the fence with Toby.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
We will get the benefit of that investment in time possibly 3 years but the current DS are generally poor by what I have seen of them. JFC March and Dickenson and obviously Dunk are the only one I would consider. As I have said many times I think Dunk should go out on a 3 month loan to a decent Div 1 side to gain experience and possibly Dickenson and leave JFC and March for the bench as and when needed.

I'd say a lot more than 3 years, more like 5-10. Big thing that's also often forgotten is who runs it and how they run it - Ours was a bit hit and miss until they got the right people in place and those people don't report to whoever the current incumbent as manager is.....

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No mention of Courtney Richards?

Yep back up to Bridcutt. All depends on what Oscar is seeing in training but would have thought the squad to Spain would give a good indication of who is in his plans.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Oscar's arrival is going to give a real opportunity not just to DS squad members but also fringe first team squad members, and I'd expect him to look to develop our own talent wherever he can.

Would like to see JFC feature on the bench a bit more, and the likes of Toby and Dickenson either get serious match experience on loan or get developed to the point where they are regular bench options. Dunky has considerable potential and now needs to kick on and force Oscar to consider him at least for the bench – just wish he could provide more of an aerial threat than he does for a player of his height.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here