Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which FA Cup fourth round ties would YOU televise live?

Which *SIX* FA Cup fourth round ties would YOU televise live?

• Crystal Palace vs Hartlepool

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • Bournemouth vs Boreham Wood

Votes: 122 71.3%
  • Huddersfield vs Barnsley

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Peterborough vs QPR

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Cambridge vs Luton

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Southampton vs Coventry

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Chelsea vs Plymouth

Votes: 83 48.5%
  • Everton vs Brentford

Votes: 29 17.0%
  • Kidderminster vs West Ham

Votes: 150 87.7%
  • Manchester United or Aston Villa vs Middlesbrough

Votes: 37 21.6%
  • Tottenham vs Brighton

Votes: 114 66.7%
  • Liverpool vs Cardiff

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • Stoke vs Wigan

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Nottingham Forest vs Leicester

Votes: 120 70.2%
  • Manchester City vs Fulham

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • Wolves vs Norwich

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

SAC

May 21, 2014
It will be Man U plus 5 but I chose
Bournemouth v Boreham Wood
Southampton v Coventry
Chelsea v Plymouth
Kidderminster v West Ham
Liverpool v Cardiff
Nottingham Forest v Leicester

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Palaace vs Hartlepool for Hartlepool reasons
Huddersfield vs Barnsley - I've seen quite a bit of Barnsley since their Swedish manager took over and they are hilariously bad
Cambridge vs Luton - the real deal
Kidderminster vs West Ham - for Kidderminster reasons
Brighton vs Spurs - obviously
Stoke vs Wigan - want to see that Sima winner

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wouldn't televise ours so that we can have 3pm Saturday but it will be televised for sure.

The six I think will be picked are:

Us
Bournemouth
Chelsea
Kidderminster
Liverpool
Forest

I'd swap City v Fulham for us if I ruled the airwaves for the above reason.

Stumpy Tim

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Cambridge v Luton. Stand out tie of the round in terms of competitiveness and atmosphere. Probably the only one I would bother watching apart from BHA.

Really?? Massive sense of anti-climax round here when that one came out the hat - and a similar feeling in Luton too, I should imagine. Lower Championship side vs Lower League One side. I'm sure both clubs were hoping for a PL team either home or away. Still, it gives both sides a decent chance of progressing to 5th Round.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
With Brighton now in the PL, the idea of an all-PL FA Cup tie leaves me a bit cold, if I'm honest. I get the whole 'magic of the cup' thing, but where's the appeal of Brighton playing Spuds in the cup? Especially as the corresponding league fixture follows afterwards.

Therefore, I'm adopting Boreham Wood for my cup team. I heard Chappers on the radio chatting with the manager – who sounds like an all-round good guy – and watching the highlights, I think they play some lovely football.

Plus, getting one over on PLB – if they ARE still Plucky – would be the cherry on the icing on the cake.

#UpTheWood!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Really?? Massive sense of anti-climax round here when that one came out the hat - and a similar feeling in Luton too, I should imagine. Lower Championship side vs Lower League One side. I'm sure both clubs were hoping for a PL team either home or away. Still, it gives both sides a decent chance of progressing to 5th Round.

I would have thought all at Cambridge United would be delighted with it, so ok, Luton Town aren't in the Premier League or a household name, but the tie should still sell out the Abbey Stadium, and it is, as you say, a winnable game for both sides.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yeah, I can understand Cambridge fans feeling like that. From a neutral’s point of view though aren’t the towns only an hour apart ? Should be a sell out and won’t be a one sided bore fest like Chelsea v Chesterfield.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As a general point, it's a rubbish draw. You want the weaker teams at home to even it up and give it a cup tie feel. Hartlepool V Palace, Coventry V Southampton, Plymouth V Chelsea and Boreham Wood V Bournemouth are much more interesting ties than how they came out.

I'd pick Kidderminster V West Ham and Foreist V Lecester for sure. Take you pick from the rest.

Agreed. If you threw all those names back into the velvet bag and started again, it would be almost impossible to pick out a duller draw.

Borehamwood's 'reward' for reaching the 4th round for the first time in their history, is a trip to the kind of stadium they play at in their National League matches.

Hartlepool get a PLUM trip to Selhurst, and Cambridge's heroics get them a chance to play the superstars of er.. Luton.

Kiddy v West Ham is about the single exciting tie, unless anyone is genuinely thrilled by an all Prem tie, in which case ours is passable.

What I would say in favour of Spurs v Brighton, is that its likely to be one of the best / most attractive matches in that list, even if there's no romantic STORY attached.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Agreed. If you threw all those names back into the velvet bag and started again, it would be almost impossible to pick out a duller draw.

Borehamwood's 'reward' for reaching the 4th round for the first time in their history, is a trip to the kind of stadium they play at in their National League matches.

Hartlepool get a PLUM trip to Selhurst, and Cambridge's heroics get them a chance to play the superstars of er.. Luton.

Kiddy v West Ham is about the single exciting tie, unless anyone is genuinely thrilled by an all Prem tie, in which case ours is passable.

What I would say in favour of Spurs v Brighton, is that its likely to be one of the best / most attractive matches in that list, even if there's no romantic STORY attached.

I actually think Spurs V Brighton will be a very good tie. I think we will take it seriously - in the main - and we've seen that Spurs squad players struggled against Morecambe. I'd be surprised if Spurs rolled out a regulation victory which is probably what the majority of the armchair PL fans expected when they saw the draw. We've got a good a chance that we've ever had of getting a result there.

My other issue with the draw is that it almost gives a bye to the PL teams. If we do navigate Spurs it is highly probable that Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Man U and West Ham (or God forbid a dickheads day out to Smellhurst) at the very least will be left to navigate. If we have designs on winning it, seems like we will have to do it the hard way.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I would have thought all at Cambridge United would be delighted with it, so ok, Luton Town aren't in the Premier League or a household name, but the tie should still sell out the Abbey Stadium, and it is, as you say, a winnable game for both sides.

No - nobody is happy with it, other than it is (a) at home and not at Luton and (b) potentially winnable I suppose.

Typical of the responses on the CUFC forum are "Luton? Rubbish" / "That's got a real Papa John's vibe to it" / "What a let down" / "It's like a punishment from God." / "Disappointing" and (my favourite) "Not those mugs again."

The Abbey pretty much sells out for every home game at the moment anyway and the players and the bulk of the support were hoping for a big PL London club away (Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal) or one of the big North West clubs away. Luton at home, when the league programme already includes teams like Sunderland, Bolton, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Sheff Weds) is a huge anti-climax.

I had promised my kids (both Cambridge supporters) to take them to the 4th round game, regardless of when / where. We sat and watched the draw on ITV and the sense of disappointment when Luton at home came out the hat was palpable :lolol:

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Personally if I were BBC sports director I would be trying hard to show an all premier league match as they have no other chance of televising one

BHAFCLive

Sep 21, 2018
The formula over the past decade or two for picking TV games at R3 & 4 seems to be primarily "lower division at home vs (decent) Premier League team" and "blockbuster (big 6 v big 6) all-PL tie", then see who Manchester United and Liverpool are playing, as they are really the only two teams guaranteed to bring in good viewing figures no matter who they play (Man City & Chelsea still do not command as big an audience, despite their recent trophy domination. Spurs & Arsenal are too inconsistent to guarantee TV numbers and therefore are more likely to be picked for upset chance over anything else, as yesterday proved).

- We have no examples of blockbusters in this draw, elevating Kidderminster v West Ham to one of, if not the, most desirable TV ties and 100% will be picked.

- Manchester United and Liverpool are both at home to lower Division opponents, which is disappointing for TV but still attractive given their fanbase. So it would usually be a case of looking at the rest of the draw to see if there are any ties that would be more attractive (again from TV's POV, which isn't necessarily the same as us or a neutrals POV). If there are, then at least one of MU & LIV will not be on (per 3rd round LIV v Shrewsbury). However, if there are not, and it's looking like the case in this 4th round draw, then I suspect both these games will be televised.

- Next, look at the lowest ranked sides that haven't fallen into the above categories.
Here that applies to Boreham Wood, Hartlepool, Plymouth, Wigan and Cambridge. Of those, only Cambridge are at home - and being at home is often the difference in being selected for TV because of the unusual setting, the good atmosphere, the likelihood of upset etc. Unfortunately for them, they drew Luton, which isn't a standout club and few would be surprised if they managed to win. I'd be surprised if it were picked.

The other four teams are all away, normally reducing TV chances. But given how poor the overall draw is looking, you have to consider one or two of these. Hartlepool and Plymouth are at PL clubs, making them more likely to be picked. I'd put Palace v Hartlepool as more likely to see the underdog win, but again citing the poor draw, I can see either that or Plymouth at Chelsea being on TV, maybe both if one of LIV or MANU aren't, it's a toss up.

Manchester City are also at home to lower Division opposition. But going back to the earlier point, they do not command the audience near MU or LIV and consequently see fewer Cup ties on TV at this stage. Coupled with the fact that they are more likely to be straightforward wins (not guaranteed of course, as defeats to Wigan and Middlesbrough have shown). Additionally, though Fulham are only one Division below, it's not like this is a special trip for them as it would be for Hartlepool or Cambridge for example. For me, unlikely to be picked.

- Though Leicester are the holders, they aren't an established 'big' team in TV terms. But in their favour is an away tie to a team from the League below, and relatively close distance to each other. Forest are also a traditionally well known club with history and upset pedigree. That gets picked.

- So finally, you look at the best of the rest, which is where our game at Spurs comes in. It's between two PL clubs who play decent football and the result is not a foregone conclusion. The formula that was used to select West Ham v Leeds in R3. You could argue Everton v Brentford and Wolves v Norwich fit that criteria too, but with Spurs the biggest of all six clubs mentioned, I'd put our game as the 6th pick.

You can kind of rule out the likes of Southampton v Coventry, Peterborough v QPR and Huddersfield v Barnsley not fitting into any of the above criteria and a real lack of interest beyond the fans of the teams involved.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Whichever is the easiest ground to turn up and just plug the cameras in…..seems to be the case at the Amex this season. :rolleyes:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I think they’ll do the below…

Kidderminster Vs West Ham
Chelsea vs Plymouth
Forest Vs Leicester
Manchester United/Aston Villa vs Boro
Spurs vs Brighton
Cambridge Vs Luton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports