Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which English grounds are still intimidating

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I found the Den pretty intimidating for the playoff 2nd final leg, also Fratton Park was particularly unpleasant back in Nobby Horton's time here, haven't felt the urge to go back since,

I see the Baseball Ground has had a mention, I was really impressed with the place and didn't feel vaguely intimidated :shrug:

Fulham fans have never been a problem in the few trips I've made to Craven Cottage.

i found the den pretty intimidating for the playoff 2nd final leg, also fratton park was particularly unpleasant back in nobby horton's time here, haven't felt the urge to go back since,

i see the baseball ground has had a mention, i was really impressed with the place and didn't feel vaguely intimidated :shrug:

Fulham fans have never been a problem in the few trips i've made to craven cottage.
Had more trouble with fulham tbh,going back up the heath after a london team in town was tricky but fulham seemed to be the worst,went over to hamburg for the fulham final and they seem al right now!???

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Newport :whistle:
regards
DR
Ah Newport .Aldershot played down there in The Cup 84/85 ,walked into a pub that was full of Swindon whose game at Dagenham had been called off.3 sets of Fans on a terrace with flimsy segregation ,Newport had a pop at us then Swindon joined us to have a go back cue mayhem.The same day Reading got badly filled in at Barry Island.One week later we played Swindon away and yep it kicked off..Worst ground for intimidation was Leighton Town ,one of our chaps ended up with a nasty machete wound that day on a day when the locals used CS Gas and Bats on us .

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I found St Mary's very unpleasant a couple of years back, but that was probably the scum fans being right in our faces the whole game, rather than the ground itself. Very little segregation and a large number of people giving it large as they went 3-0 up.

You're right. it wasn't particularly pleasant that day. We didn't have the whole of the corner section (probably because Stains were doing well) & we were sandwiched between a couple of swathes of gobshites & yoof 'giving it large'. The fact we were dire on the pitch that day didn't help either tbh...

There's nothing I've been to in recent years that can compare to the early 80's though - where trips with Villa to Goodison & the Small Heath Sty were particularly nasty & down-right intimidating. I've no doubt that Villa matches with Brumscum are still pretty unpleasant, although I haven't actually been there for God knows how many years (even with The Albion). I seem to recall Luton were on the pitch chucking coins at us after The Paint Pot semi, which was nice of them. It's funny how those morons utilised the line of Stewards - hemming us lot in - in order to throw the contents of their piggy banks at us. I don't know if they got braver after we'd all pissed off from the, ahem, 'stadium' as most of us went up on the coaches that evening (me included). It was quite amusing seeing some of the local population waving us off with a variety of interesting gesticulations though. :lolol:

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Ah Newport .Aldershot played down there in The Cup 84/85 ,walked into a pub that was full of Swindon whose game at Dagenham had been called off.3 sets of Fans on a terrace with flimsy segregation ,Newport had a pop at us then Swindon joined us to have a go back cue mayhem.The same day Reading got badly filled in at Barry Island.One week later we played Swindon away and yep it kicked off..Worst ground for intimidation was Leighton Town ,one of our chaps ended up with a nasty machete wound that day on a day when the locals used CS Gas and Bats on us .

Obviously living in Leighton Buzzard, heard lots about that Aldershot match at Bell Close and the return match at Aldershot, It sounded mental and obviously not very pleasant. About 1991 I think? One of those places where loads support Prem clubs and have been known to turn up when bigger non league teams turn up. Madness.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Portsmouth fans are so retarded and deluded they don`t consider the implications of their thuggish behaviour ,that is why it seems intimidating .Get them in a small group and butter wouldnt melt .Oh they do have a bell (end ) though.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I found St Mary's very unpleasant a couple of years back, but that was probably the scum fans being right in our faces the whole game, rather than the ground itself. Very little segregation and a large number of people giving it large as they went 3-0 up.

This. Probably the loudest home support I've seen, although I've only been going to away games for a few years.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Obviously living in Leighton Buzzard, heard lots about that Aldershot match at Bell Close and the return match at Aldershot, It sounded mental and obviously not very pleasant. About 1991 I think? One of those places where loads support Prem clubs and have been known to turn up when bigger non league teams turn up. Madness.
30th Jan 1993 Isthmian League Div 3 ,rumour has it Leighton fans were mainly Luton Fans that went under the name of the idiots .Was the worst trouble i've seen at a Game.Thankfully our paths never crossed again as a lot of people got hurt that day and if they'd come back to Aldershot there would of been serious disorder.We played at Tring later on in the season and The Idiots turned up ,but were moved on by The Police.Tooting and Billericay were always mind your back days aswell.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
it can often depend on how the match has finished but for a general intimidating and uneasy feel I'd say Wolves, Luton, Pompy and Oldham are grim....and also utter holes which usually goes hand in hand.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
IMHO there is a handful of grounds that have a decent atmosphere (in the Championship maybe The City Ground and Elland Road, sometimes) but these are so rare and certainly not 'intimidating'. Maybe Celtic Park north of the border has the best claim these days?

There just aren't the huge crowds with densely packed terraces, narrow gangways and home and away fans going toe to toe. OK its much safer but its all a bit too segregated and sanitised. No real spine tingling sensations where your adrenaline steadily rises and you start to feel for your safety.

It was really only the old grounds like The Den, Anfield, Hillsborough and Wembley that had an aura of intimidation and forboding both on and off the pitch, which gave the match added edge. West Ham, Chelsea, Pompey and Cardiff tended to be more iffy in the surrounding streets.

For me probably the most intimidating ground experienced was England v Scotland at the old Wembley circa '72 (think 'Braveheart') with 50k Scots fans baying for English blood, incredibly loud. Home fans in the minority. Real blood and thunder game on the pitch too. It felt primeval and something way in excess of what you felt following the Albion. Plus I used to go to a lot of 1st Div games in those days. Maybe the loss of such conspicuous passion explains why England games inspire so much apathy these days.

Somehow the Germans seem to have preserved the right balance with epic atmospheres but in a safe environment.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
pompey,millwall,west ham,spurs and to be fair palace was always hostile

down to personal expériences really

for me,oldham,wolves,bolton and highbury (cup game early 80's)

Jan 30, 2008
pompey,millwall,west ham,spurs and to be fair palace was always hostile

down to personal expériences really

for me,oldham,wolves,bolton and highbury (cup game early 80's)
in the clock end behind the goal, just a line of OB in those days who more than often would go about 10 mins before the end of the game :facepalm:
regards
DR

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Watford, terrifying :hilton:

:lolol:

Watford, when we were in the terraces on the corner at the power station end, was probably intimidating for them. Rightly or wrongly their 'family club' brand attempt made them a soft target and people pretty much took the p**s. Looking back now the songs it generated ('we're gonna nick your sweets and lollipops' and 'Elton John is a homosexual' both to the same tune) are hideously embarrassing but I also remember the whole away end bouncing up and down at those games and us pretty much taking over the Robert Peel.

Jan 30, 2008
:lolol:

Watford, when we were in the terraces on the corner at the power station end, was probably intimidating for them. Rightly or wrongly their 'family club' brand attempt made them a soft target and people pretty much took the p**s. Looking back now the songs it generated ('we're gonna nick your sweets and lollipops' and 'elton john is a homosexual' both to the same tune) are hideously embarrassing but i also remember the whole away end bouncing up and down at those games and us pretty much taking over the robert peel.
were you there for the cup game when the OB steamed in :whistle:
regards
DR

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Swansea's old Vetch Field ground was grim with fencing up at the front. The west terrace was very near the away fans so if you wanted to hurl sharp, lethal things like coins and lighters, it wasn't too difficult. The area round the ground was terrible with a prison nearby.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here