Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which do you prefer Union or League

Which do you prefer Union or League

• Total voters

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
I'm biased as I've played Union all my life. League Centres around running straight and hard so you have much bigger collisions, much bigger tackles and requires much more fitness as the ball is in play for longer. There's more intricacies to union - props winning scrums, locks in line outs, flankers at rucks and the backs are usually operating in less structured, more broken play which in my opinion makes it more exciting. In league everyone is spread across the field in quite a structured manner and the excitement only comes in the final moves to score tries IMO. Admittedly there are some seriously impressive wingers out there in league, especially in the NRL.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But then Union is a minior sport in this country only played by people or schools who think they are too posh forr football.

It's mostly a Northern thing and we have 225000 registered players so we should be able to compete with NZ's 22000 players. Although we do have 40,000 more registered Union players than NZ so we should really be able to compete with them in Union too. :shrug:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Very similar when you get players like Sam Burgess trying both

Sonny Bill Williams has played both after starting in League, Jason Robinson also started in League, both won World Cups as Union players. There are plenty of players who've crossed codes.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I like both - watched Bradford Northern regularly when I was at uni - but do prefer union.

Playing is no contest. Union is a cracking game to play: I played League once and thought I'd ended up in game of Rollerball. I feigned injury and sneaked off at half-time

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That was my point that they are not entirely different sports with little similarity.

That might have been your point, but you made it badly pointing to 1 player who failed to make the crossover long term when replying to someone who said they were very different sports making it look like you agree with their point.

You would have been better off pointing to players who had successful careers in both codes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That might have been your point, but you made it badly pointing to 1 player who failed to make the crossover long term when replying to someone who said they were very different sports making it look like you agree with their point.

You would have been better off pointing to players who had successful careers in both codes.

You are of course correct I just took the lazy option.?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
There is only one. Union.

I just don't get rugby league, its worse that 7s Rugby, but strangely popular amongst the flat cap wearing whippet molesting folk (that I live amongst!).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Union - some of the passages of play you get without a stoppage can last for 10-20 phases and over 5 minutes at a decent level.

I do still enjoy watching League though.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Up until a couple of years ago I would have said Union but have been involved ( in a professional capacity) with quite a few League players for the last couple of years, mainly at Leeds Rhinos, and have a new found respect for them. Some are incredible athletes. It's non stop and although I used to struggle with some of the rules as was brought up with Union it is a thoroughly absorbing game.
im pretty sure that Kevin Sinfield will be a success in Union when he switches next season as he is a highly intelligent rugby player.
I think dismissing League as Union but with added flower arranging says more about your lack of knowledge than it does about Rugby League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here